Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBrod
Beginner

Do any BIOS upgrades that are compatible with DP67DE support booting of USB3 external drives bigger than 2.2 TB?

Hi

I have a system with mobo DP67DE, and a Western Digital "My Book" 3 TB external USB3.0 drive to use as a backup. The drive runs o.k. if I don't plug it in until after the system boots up, but the system fails to boot with the error "BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt" if the drive is connected and powered up before startup. This happens regardless of whether the drive is connected to a USB3 or USB2 port on the mother board.

A note on the Western Digital site says that many PCs exhibit this failure mode if confronted with a drive of 2.2 GB or larger. Currently the mobo is running BIOS 0064 and I note that the latest BIOS is 0079. Would upgrading solve the problem?

I also see there is something called "INTEL USB 3.0 Extensible host controller driver." would that solve the problem?

Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, DaveTheWave:

The BIOS update 0077 mentions USB/boot related fixes, you could test you computer with that version.

Note before updating your BIOS in your Intel® motherboard, jumping from an old version to a newer version with some updates in between could affect your system, please check the recommended procedure below:

1. Look for the next BIOS version available (not the latest, the next from the current version in your system), and update to that version.

2. Continue with the next version once the update is done, do this until you get the version 0077.

Some useful information that you can take into consideration

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/sb/recoverybiosupdatei... http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/sb/recoverybiosupdatei...

The desired BIOS version would be 0077, please test your system with that version after following the BIOS update procedure.

Also, check that "boot from USB first" is not selected in your BIOS; additionally, check the boot order of your drives, note this external drive is not in the first options to boot.

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C