Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11360 Discussions

Do some motherboards support raid-1 on ssd?

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I will buy a new pc (main use is development) with a high-end intel motherboard (raid-1, sound, gigabit network embedded, usb 3). I would like to install windows 8, 3-d graphics, dual screen, 4 hard disks:

2 raid-1 ssd

2 raid-1 sata.

I read on the self-help that raid can be enabled for sata drives.

Does Intel provide motherboards where raid-1 is available for ssd hard disks.? If so, which one can you advise?

I saw many motherboards for desktop computers, but no comparaison...

Regards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

SSD disks in SATA format, like Intel 320/330 or 510/520 for MB controller are the same as SATA HDDs, so you can use them for RAID in any MB featured Intel RST RAID. SSDs in mSATA or PCI-E format, like Intel 910, are different story, usually you cannot use them in RAID setups.

idata
Community Manager

I read on some forums that sata-raid controllers don't support TRIM function and that for this reason, a raid-1 on ssd disks has a big performance cost: it is much slower than a single non-raid ssd disk. True or false?

VDerk
New Contributor III

The latest Intel Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver 11.6.0.1030 supports the TRIM function on RAID 1 and 0.