Community Manager

Does M2 ssd steal any PCI-E lanes from the 16 graphics lanes , chipset H97

Jump to solution

Does M2 ssd steal any PCI-E lanes from the 16 graphics lanes , chipset H97

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The short answer is no. The 16 PCIe lanes used by the graphics solution are outputs of the processor, whereas the PCIe lanes used for M.2 (NVMe) solutions are outputs of the (H97) PCH. The bandwidth of the PCH's PCIe lanes are a subset of the bandwidth made available to the PCH via the processor's DMI 2.0 bus.

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The short answer is no. The 16 PCIe lanes used by the graphics solution are outputs of the processor, whereas the PCIe lanes used for M.2 (NVMe) solutions are outputs of the (H97) PCH. The bandwidth of the PCH's PCIe lanes are a subset of the bandwidth made available to the PCH via the processor's DMI 2.0 bus.

...S

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for the information submitted above.

To white_fox:

I hope that information was useful for you.

If you have any other inquiry, please let us know.

Alberto

idata
Community Manager

As a matter of fact , I needed just a confirmation from a more qualified person than me . The answer was guessed before .

idata
Community Manager

It was very important for me because we advise a lot of people for buying different hardware . You know the impact of an international site suggesting solutions , is big Every day : newegg , microcenter ant etc

idata
Community Manager

Hello white_fox:

Thank you very much for that feedback, and yes we are aware of the international impact this site has, that is why we are glad to know that the information was useful for you so you can keep advising all the people that needs your help.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto