Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mais
Beginner

Does the Intel Gaurdfish have TPM turned on by default?

My motherboard gave a POST code showing it was dead, and the board is old so I would like to salvage the data from the hard drive, but I want to know if the TPM is turned on by default, and if I will be able to recover the data or if the data is simply encrypted beyond recovery?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Guardfish eh? That's a pretty old board (circa 2006). As far as I can remember, this board did not have a TPM by default. This would mean that, if one was added, it would not be on by default.

Now, are you saying that you had the HDD encrypted? If so, this was implemented within the HDD (no TPM involved) and thus you should be able to connect it to another machine and access it with the appropriate password. If you didn't have it encrypted, you should be able to just hook it up and access it.

Hope this helps,

...S

n_scott_pearson

Oops, almost forgot: What POST code are you seeing?

mais
Beginner

It has been a long time since I had the PC plugged in, but I remember looking up the beeps and seeing that it indicated a motherboard failure. I could try to plug it back in and power it up again to give you the exact ones if you want.

Gaurdfish is very old and I already gave the eulogy for my PC. I don't think I had TPM enabled, and no I didn't have any data on the HDD encrypted, so hopefully I should be able to salvage the data based on your feedback.

n_scott_pearson

No, not worth it; I asked purely out of curiosity. As coincidence would have it, I was actually talking to the BIOS engineer that was responsible for the GF board just last week. He is disavowing any knowledge of it, of course <g>

Let me know what happens with the HDD and if there is anything else I can help you with.

...S