Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PMcKe5
Beginner

Driver problem

Recent Windows 10 download to older computer - now can't access internet and getting error message The Intel(R)82579LM gigabit network connection adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related problems.

Is there a new driver I could download, save and them install on my computer?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

New driver for what? You have not provided the laptop or desktop model number. Also, you have not provided the version of Windows 10. Is it 1909?

Also, what is the model number of your "Intel Desktop Board"?

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

This PHY was discontinued a number of years ago and, as a result, Intel chose not to provide support for this PHY with Windows 10. For more details, consult pages Windows 10 Support for Intel Ethernet Adapters and Supported Operating Systems for Intel Ethernet Controllers (LOM).

Microsoft provides an inbox driver that will support this PHY so that it can be used with Windows 10. This is essentially a checkpoint of the Windows 8.1 driver from Intel that was available when Windows 10 was released. It is not being updated and Microsoft is not providing support for it. This means, if is works, great, but if it doesn't, ah well (Intel won't fix it).

Do the following:

1. Start Device Manager.
  2. Find the driver entry for this PHY.
  3. Write down the version number of this driver.
  4. Uninstall this driver.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Wait 10 minutes for Windows Update to run.
  7. Start Device Manager.
  8. Find the driver entry for this PHY.
  9. If it does not have the same version number that you wrote down previously, then go back to Step 3.
  10. You are now running on the base driver and it has been refreshed. Is the same problem occurring?

Hope this helps,

...S

PMcKe5
Beginner

Thanks for your input Scott. I uninstalled the driver in question and followed the links. Everything I downloaded was not compatible. Finally decided to try accessing the internet without making any other changes and was successful. I really appreciated your step by step instructions. P
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I don't understand your response. What isn't compatible? As far as I know, you aren't going to find any drivers (other than the inbox driver from MS) that are compatible.

If the inbox driver works, great. If not, get a USB adapter or PCIe card.

Cheapest (US$12) PCIe Gbe card: https://www.amazon.com/X-MEDIA-Gigabit-1000Mbps-Ethernet-XM-NA3800/dp/B00ZAIVSKS.

Cheapest (US$13) USB 3.0 Gbe adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Network-Adapter-Gigabit-Black/dp/B010SEARPU.

(Note: examples only; I am not endorsing these (I haven't tried them).]

Hope this helps,

...S