cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wouter
Beginner

Driver support assistant wont install

Hi,

My computer started blue screening with a driver power state failure, and so I wanted to update all my drivers. My Intel smart sound technology (SST) OED driver had an exclamation point next to it, so I tried to update it, however I came across this error message:

Wouter_0-1613735741049.png

I am now trying to download the Intel driver & support assistant to update the driver, however after 4 attempts I cannot install it. Every time the install gets stuck right at the start (when initializing), and doesn't progress (even after 2 hours):

Wouter_1-1613735892677.png

How could I fix this, and install the software so I can fix my driver?

Kind regards,

Wouter

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I believe you have a battery or power issue, which both are hardware problems. 

You need to fix the base cause first.  To diagnose this, contact your device manufacturer.

Do not start piling on software and drivers and IDSA, when the root cause is something else.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

Wouter
Beginner

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried all the battery-related solutions to the driver power state failure blue screen error but none worked, and a lot of forums suggest its due to a faulty driver, and my device manager is telling me that this driver is not working properly. Also, my audio is not working at all right now (and the faulty driver is audio related). If I may ask, why do you think it is a power or battery issue?

Thanks,

Wouter

AlHill
Super User

I just believe it is hardware related.

For the device with the yellow bang in the device mangler, just disable the device.  If you still have a problem, then you need to look elsewhere.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Wouter,

Open the Device Manager and uninstall the Intel smart sound technology (SST) OED. Reboot your computer.

Leon

Wouter
Beginner

Hi AlHill and Leon,

I've disabled the driver and restarted, and my laptop still blue screened upon that restart. My audio is also still not working. I tried uninstalling the driver, but the device manager crashes every time I try to do so. Trying to manually update the driver isn't working either, giving the same error as before.  

AlHill
Super User

Then the problem is elsewhere, perhaps disk or memory corruption.

Tags (1)
Wouter
Beginner

Somehow the issue fixed itself when I started up my laptop this morning, so I'm not sure which fix did the trick, but thanks for the help guys :).

Tags (1)