Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Dx58so raid and UEFI

Hello I have a dx58so and updated to latest bio. I enabled UEFI bootand created a raid 5. When I try to install windows the drive does not show up. I install the eat driver from flash and it picks up the drive but then reboots mid install​. When I go back into raid 2 drives shows failed. I tried raid 1 and 0 and both work fine only raid 5. Please help

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Re: Dx58so raid and UEFI

You went into BIOS Setup and enabled UEFI and RAID. You saved configuration and exited. You used CTRL-I to enter RST console and created RAID5 array across X drives (X >= 3, right?).

You created installation media for Windows xx (Windows 7, Windows 10, what?) and placed copies of the RST drivers from the F6FLPY package onto the media (what RST version? Correct 32/64 selection?). When you got to the scene where you specify the drive/partition for Windows installation, you attempted to load the RST drivers from your media? This failed? Caused a reboot?

Pleases detail where you differed from what I described and answer the additional questions

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your response

• i Eneabled UEFI boot in bios
  • Crl+I and created raid 5 with 4 drives
  • Have the windows 10 media created before

​Once it starts to boot windows the raid fails. I then go back to the raid controller and see 2 drives failed. I rebuild and try again

I don't know how to do this?

​placed copies of the RST drivers from the F6FLPY package onto the media (what RST version? Correct 32/64 selection?).

I know I went on Intel and placed the rst driver vs 17.8 onto a USB drives and when the windows doesn't recognize my raid because it's failed I install the driver and sometimes nothing happens other times it sees the drive but the install fails .

when i turn off the eufi boot my raid 5 works perfectly fine no issues but i get the 2tb limit even if i convert to gpt.

Since Intel discontinued all support and removed all downloads it's hard to find stuff

I can upload photos if you tell m what you would like to see

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

The standard RST packages contain both the storage driver(s) and the GUI app. We don't want this package. What we want is the F6Flpy.zip file that you can also download from the same download page. This ZIP file contains the drivers in raw form. I extract all of the files in this ZIP and place them into the root folder of the Windows installation media (USB flash drive). Then, when the Windows installer gets to the scene where you pick the drive/partition to install Windows to, you can load (not install) these drivers on the fly.

I just realized that you said 17.8. For the SO board, you likely don't want a version this new (it has all the Optane crap your board cannot support). I have attached the whole shebang for v14.5 (oldest I have with Windows 10 support). Try it instead. As I said, put the contents of the DriversOnly_f6flpy_x64.zip file in the root of your flash drive and load (not install) these drivers when selecting Windows boot drive.

Don't turn of UEFI. Best to have this enabled for Windows 10 regardless.

Let me know how it goes...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I appreciate it and will try tonight.

what i notice is previously i would make the raid restart the computer as soon as the computer would boot into the windows cd i would restart and go back to the raid controller and rebuild it and then load windows from the disk again. i would then get to the drive screen load the 17.8 and start installing windows. once windows installs which takes over 2 hours the computer restarts and once again the raid crashes and shows drives are failed.

i'll let you know 14.5 works better. im just thinking could the board not support it properly or be loading legacy and properly loading uefi.

I followed the steps and nothing shows up on drives available after driver is loaded. in diskpart the drive is unavailable. i restarted the computer and again the raid has failed.

im trying to boot off the raid 5 not sure thats even allowed but if it is something is happening between me creating it and the computer going into the windows installation module

i also read that the rst should be installed after the operating system is installed on their website.

one other thing i notice is that when i build the raid got into the boot mode i dont see the volume 0 raid. i reboot and raid shows a disk with error occured. i rebuild it and then go back into boot mode and see the volume. i select boot from cd to start the windows disk and do not see the volume again even loading the rst. i reset computer and the raid shows again 1 of the disks has an error occured.

once again this is only happening in raid 5 not 1 not 0. this is so strange

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Did you individually load each of the drivers in the F6Flpy package? You should be seeing the array then. What BIOS are you running on this board?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Bios 5600

It's only showing me 1 driver that is compatible when i load them the rest are hidden as incompatible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Hhmmm, methinks we need an older version. We need at least a Windows 8.x driver. The versions I have squirreled away for 5 and 6 Series boards only support Windows 7. The version I have for 7 and 8 Series boards, however, have Windows 8.1 support. I am attaching the package; try loading the F6Flpy drivers and see how it goes.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

I just had another thought -- I wonder if there is an issue with the RST OpROM. Reinstall the latest BIOS using the BIOS Recovery process and see if this makes a difference. You could combine this with the RST driver test.

....S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

would you be able to advise on how to do that I'm not really sure on how to mess with the BIOS in recovery mode that I've never done before​

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Do you think 5600 is a bad bios? Do you know where I can see if it even is the latest one since intell took everything off their site​

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

No, not saying Bad BIOS, saying possibly Bad BIOS Install. 5600 is the latest - and last - BIOS release.

I have the process for doing a BIOS Recovery fully defined here: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004VhEOFSA3/how-to-upgrade-dz75ml45k-bios-from-0006-to-00.... Follow it exactly; do not skip any steps.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

Justried your recommendation and still does not work. I even put a fifth HDD in and installed windows in it and left the other 4 to raid. What happens is when I create the raid it says it's fine and bootable. Once I exit the raid config and a boot starts cd or 5hdd with windows the raid fails. I tested this by quickly restarting before windows or cd loads and see 2disks fail. Could it be that I'm using 4 different wd 1tb models and they don't want to work with each other? It doesn't make sense why raid 0 and 1 work but not 5

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

This is a possibility; I am not aware of anything specific related to this, however.

You are using the older F7 drivers, right?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'm sorry I'm not sure what that even means how do I check with drivers I'm using​

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Where did you get the IASTOR drivers that you added to your Windows installation image?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel's website and the one you sent before on it Eon Intel is version 17 I believe u sent version 14. And the problem is that the controller fails before I even get to the Windows installation screen like I set up the RAID controller save it it starts booting the windows disk if I control alt delete and restart the computer it shows that the raid controller already failed before any windows installs and before any driver selection

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

If RAID 0/1 works fine but RAID 5 doesn't, it must have something to do with the drives. I can't think of any other alternatives.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Do the drives have to be the same exact model number or just same size?

Thank you for working with me on this.

Do you think the controller on the board is broken.

P.s I think if I turn off UEFI boot and raid the drives it works but I only see 2tb instead of 3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

For RAID5, they don't even need to be the same size. In fact, they show examples where different sizes are present as they grow the array (for example, from 2TB drives to 4TB drives).

What I don't understand is why you are insisting on booting from this array. Get yourself a SSD and use that for the boot drive. My DX58SO (which I donated to a charity late last year) had one of these cards installed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01452SP1O. It gave me a SATA III controller and a place to mount the SSD drive itself. I then had a 6TB, 3-drive RAID5 array (all same size but not same model). I kept this array and put it into a system with DZ87KLT-75K board when I donated the other. The advantage of this approach is that I did not have to enable UEFI boot. Once I was running in Windows 10, I could still create a GPT-based setup on this array and make use of its full capacity.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos