Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Dz68DB- cannot get past bios splash screen (f2 etc. do nothing)

Jump to solution

Hey all,

I bought this board way back when as a backup so that if and when my primary board died I wouldn't be in a scramble to find an 1155 board. My primary died so I busted out the Dz68DB but it has not gone well.

Testing specs:

DZ68DB board

1x 4gb Patriot Viper DDR1600 (tested in every memory slot)

NZXT 850w power supply

1 USB keyboard (I've tried 2 different keyboards)

So I got it all wired up breadboard style pushed power and am stuck at the bios splash screen...the screen that says push F2, F7 or F10. When I push any of them nothing happens. They keyboard is, however, being recognized because when I push CTRL-ALT-DEL the system restarts and when I push TAB it brings up a screen that reads "Loading Settings." This "Loading settings" screen also does nothing however. It just sits there forever. I did manage to get into the Bios Settings once...I don't know how other than continuously pushing buttons...but I have never been able to get back into it.

Codes: The onboard display gives a bunch of codes as it boots including E4 and EB (or E6?) then flashes to 00 and stays there. On the bios splash screen the bottom right corner reads EB

I have tried clearing CMOS, switching the Yellow jumper to pins 2-3 but nothing has worked. I removed the yellow jumper completely but when I do that the system just cycles codes (If I remember right it goes 13, 05, 30, 13 and then restarts). I also replaced the CMOS battery but that has done nothing.

I don't know which of the diagnostic LEDs on the board should be light but most of them are. The only one that does not light seems to be "USB Init" which I could see being a problem for the keyboard...but as I said, CTL ALT DEL and TAB both work.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. It is very annoying to buy a backup board only to find out years later that the backup board is defective!

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

There is no Patriot memory on the tested list (see below). Do you know someone with a stick who will allow you to borrow it for a test? The best RAM would be made by Micron/Crucial, Samsung, Hynix, or Elpida (recently bought by Micron) and be DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1066 because that board only officially supports those two speeds.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000007117.html# dimms System Memory for Intel® Desktop Board DZ68DB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

There is no Patriot memory on the tested list (see below). Do you know someone with a stick who will allow you to borrow it for a test? The best RAM would be made by Micron/Crucial, Samsung, Hynix, or Elpida (recently bought by Micron) and be DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1066 because that board only officially supports those two speeds.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000007117.html# dimms System Memory for Intel® Desktop Board DZ68DB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, it definitely sounds like the board is unhappy with the memory...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hey guys, thanks for the quick input.

Sadly enough I do not know anyone who owns a desktop. Laptops are dominant in these here parts!

The Patriot Viper 3's I have are ddr3-1600 so I guess that is why it doe snot work. I cannot find any of the supported ram at local vendors; newegg.com carries one of them but I'm in Canada and newegg.ca does not carry it.

Do you think it would be a safe bet to just grab ddr3-1333 ram from one of the brands on the supported list? I was thinking of buying some Kingston ram since I am a fan of their products.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

"The Patriot Viper 3's I have are ddr3-1600 so I guess that is why it doe snot work"

The further from the specifications, the more chance of trouble. And certain manufacturers have more trouble than others.

"Do you think it would be a safe bet to just grab ddr3-1333 ram from one of the brands on the supported list?"

You will find that DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1066 are not terribly common these days because most, if not all companies have stopped making it. Most of the ones on that list have gone the way of the dinosaur. Kingston still sells value RAM in DDR3-1333 that would most likely work. Before buying, either use its memory advisor or contact them. I have personally used Micron/Crucial, Samsung, Hynix, and Corsair XMS3 (Newegg still sells this) on Intel 6-series boards with 100% success. And avoid low-profile RAM, as Intel has stated that it can cause problems.

Highlighted
Beginner

I picked up a 2x4gb kit of Corsair XMS3-1333. Seems to have fixed the problem. I will probably pick up another set before they get even rarer and double in cost...I paid $60 Canadian for the kit.

thanks guys

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,

Thank you for this information that you all have kindly shared on this thread and I'm glad that the new RAM is working for you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos