cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MAli9
Beginner

Error with new GPU installation

Hi,

I installed new GPU GT 1030 LP but system wont boot with no display and 4 long beeps. I checked it in the beep list which says timer not operational. When I removed GPU, system started normal.

My system specs

Core i3-3120

DH77EB Mobo

4GB DDR3-1333 (2 sticks, tried to take out and reseat them in same and other ports as well but no success)

1TB seagate HDD

System restarts normal when GPU removed.

Please help

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Very likely an incompatibility issue. Your card is PCIe X16 3.0 compatible. Your board is PCIe x16 2.0 and knew nothing about what the future held back in 2012.

https://ark.intel.com/products/59505/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH77EB Intel® Desktop Board DH77EB Product Specifications

You did not mention the manufacturer of the GT 1030. Check with them if they have firmware update for the card (which is unlikely) and ask them why they are not fully backward compatible to PCIe x16 2.0.

Or, find a compatible card.

Also, there are no updates for the board, as it is no longer supported.

Personally, I see no value in adding such a nice card to an old motherbard and processor. If you do get it to work, it will be operating in a degraded mode.

Doc

MAli9
Beginner

Thanks for reply. As per specs, GPU is backward compatible to PCIe 2. The manufacturer for the card is Gigabyte. I dont know whether BIOS update will work or not as I never updated it since I bought it. Any idea it will work?

AlHill
Super User

You can try. The bios updates will not make you PCIe x16 3.0.

Look under "Downloads and Specifications" here https://ark.intel.com/products/59505/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH77EB Intel® Desktop Board DH77EB Product Specifications

Be careful with the bios updates, and do them in order. What is your current bios?

Doc

MAli9
Beginner

Updated to latest BIOS but did not work. Same 4 long beeps. After beeps, num lock works but no display at all.

MaryT_Intel
Community Manager

Hey Doc,

Do you have any additional info you can provide to 'Reason'? Intel Agents don't support this Boards forum anymore since they haven't been making them in several years, and I don't know the answer myself.

Or is there anyone else who can help 'Reason'?

Thanks,

Mary T.

Support Community Mgr

AlHill
Super User

I have seen a fair number of these, where a 3.0 card claims to be backward compatible with 2.0 boards. I believe it is an issue of not being fully backward compatible, where the card vendor has not fully tested such backward compatibility.

Four long beeps? I do not even see that in my list of beeps.

We know that there are some cards that work, and some that do not. Other than incompatibility, power supply problems, board failing, etc.

Sorry, I have nothing else, except to try a different card, from a different manufacturer.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There are also cases where board vendors will include support for only UEFI boot (and not Legacy boot, which most old systems are using).

There are also cases where the support for UEFI in the BIOS is not up to date with the version of UEFI supported in the Boot ROMs.

...S