Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

GIGABYTE Z170-D3H with i7 6700k and EVGA 980Ti runs in 8xPCIE 3.0 only under load.

Hello,

Firstly.

1) I have single GPU.

2) I using right first PCIE 3.0 16x slot on my board.

3) I have latest bios F20 and running in default setting.

My board and gpu supports 16xPCIE 3.0 but i cant find solution how to run my system like that. Under GPUZ render test and CPUZ information tab my system use only PCIE 3.0 with 8x lines.... And it is not maximum 16x lines.

Only idea what can I do is unpluged my graphics card and try it in another system with 3.0 PCIE spec, if the behavior will be same ( faulty my GPU ) or not ( faulty my motherboard )....

Iam really bored with it.

Thx for any advice and help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, to be specific, you mean that you are plugged into the x16 socket closest to the processor, right? Only this socket is truly capable of a full x16 graphics connection to the processor (other sockets can only get x8 or split PCIe lanes from PCH or PCIe hub devices).

Secondly, there was a report a while back similar to this and the determination in that case was that the CPUID tools had some bugs related to this display. I suggest that you look at some alternate tool sources. You might, for example, want to try https://www.aida64.com/ AIDA64 (they have a try-before-buy version that you can download).

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello NohyCZ,

I would like to confirm that based on the chipset (Z170) for your Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor; the data sheet confirm that; 16xPCIE 3.0 and PCIE 3.0 with 8x lines, it is supported.

At the following link you will be able to find the information that I have mentioned:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/100-series-chipset-datasheet-vol-1.html Intel® 100 Series Chipset Family PCH Datasheet, Vol. 1 (Page: 21, Tittle: PCH SKUs, Table: 1-2. PCH-H SKUs)

My recommendation is to confirm with the manufacturer of your motherboard (GIGABYTE), if there is a BIOS update or firmware update, that might be required in order to support the PCIE.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx GIGABYTE Support Contact

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Angie
idata
Community Manager

Hello NohyCZ,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

Regards,

Angie.

idata
Community Manager

It was faulty motherboard GIGABYTE Z170-D3H cause in a deadly silence can run olny PCIE 3.0 8x ..... very sad.. Never GIGABYTE board again. I change it for ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO and it works great......

idata
Community Manager

Hello NohyCZ,

I am really sorry for your inconvenience.

If you need further assistance at my end, please do not hesitate to reply.

Best regards,

Angie