Did you mean: 
pkill2
Beginner

GPU upgrade issues.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
pkill2
Beginner

Last year I pulled out my old Dell Dimension 4600 out of storage. Pentium 4 2.4ghz with hyperthreading on a 02Y832 motherboard. I gutted it and put in all new ram, two new drives, a new hard drive with fresh install of windows xp home edition sp3 32bit, two new lcd monitors and upgraded the original power supply with a new corsair 450 watt unit.

As part of the upgrade I replaced the original mx440 with an Nvidia Geforce 7600gs.

I now purchased a brand new Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT. But with this GT I can get nothing but a blank black screen. Not even the dell splash screen.

I have perused the Dell message boards pretty extensively and it seems that this machine should be able to handle the GT card pretty easily. It is an agp card with 512mg's of ddr2 ram.

I think I might need to update the chipset drivers. The agp controller is 82865G/PE/P/GV/82848P. I tried to use intel's automatic driver app but it will not work on xp. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

pkill2
Beginner

Apparently I must have hit enter without any explanation and I cannot seem to edit so I posted my issue as an answer.

pkill2
Beginner

The chipset is i865P/PE/G/i848P

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There are all sorts of compatibility issues with hardware this old. I am not sure that there is much that we can do for you. You really should be talking to Dell and NVIDIA.

...S

pkill2
Beginner

I posted here because I am trying to update my chipset. The auto-detect intel tool does not work with xp. I put a detailed explanation so people, maybe with more knowledge, can see what I am trying to do.

n_scott_pearson

Intel has purged most of the content for systems this old off of their download servers. These are the oldest I can find online; give them a try:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/5567/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-Desktop-Board...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18833/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-G41-Chipset-Based-...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19085/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-Desktop-Boar...

Have you tried installing Windows 10? It might work; it might be a disaster; you won't know unless you try...

Hope this helps,

...S

pkill2
Beginner

Hi Scott. Thanks for the infor. I decided to return that card and get another 7600 GS. This time I bought a passive cooled card. An MSI 7600GS passive cooled and also bought a Vantec SP-FC70-BL to run next to it. This particular desktop is running xp for a reason. I have invested quite a bit of money over the years in software that I run on that machine. It is a chess workstation with some retro games. I would never put a different operating system on it. Have no interest in windows 10. When my current laptop with win 8.1 is obsolete I will likely just be done spending any money with anything related to microsoft. Besides, thanks to microsft, home desktops and laptops are on the way out. Most home users will migrate to other devices like tablets, phones and televisions.

n_scott_pearson

It's a shame that so much software was so poorly designed that you had to stick with a particular O/S or O/S version.

As for your dislike of Windows 10, the Windows 8/8.1 GUI was just as horrible (actually, I thought worse) and, contrary to (seemingly) popular belief, leaked just as much (or more!) information to Microsoft. I hated what Microsoft did in the Windows 7 GUI (especially removal of floating button bars), yet hung on to it tenaciously as Windows 8, 8.1 and then 10 arrived.

I have drunk the cool aid, however, and switched to Windows 10 on most of my test NUCs (thanks to Intel for forcing folks to do this in 7th gen and newer systems, grrrr) and started upgrading other systems slowly, but I turn off Cortana and every other leak point that I can (thanks to Ultimate Windows Tweaker) and I disable both IE and Edge browsers and have everything set up so I rarely have to go near the Start Menu.

On those rare occasions where I have to run old software, I run the older Windows version​ in a VM. I haven't run into the situation where I have older hardware that absolutely requires an older version of Windows and I cannot get it going using VM hosting - but I have a friend who has an older C&C machine that we could only get working with Windows XP running natively on an older machine (so old that even the solder was 5 years past its MTBF date).

I happen to believe that desktop systems are still essential and will remain so for a long time to come. There is so much that you simply cannot do on a phone or tablet and so much (else) that is painful to do on a phone or tablet (and sometimes on laptops too) -- yet my wife still says I am​ tethered to my phone.

...S