Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11463 Discussions

GTS 250 with H510 no display

MrPotter
Beginner

Hello 

I recently upgraded my motherboard to H510 chipset and my XFX NVIDIA GTS 250 does not work. Any ideas on who to make it work ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Not an Intel issue.   Contact the motherboard manufacturer and/or nvidia for support.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

MrPotter
Beginner

WHat MSI said to me 

These new motherboards have the latest BIOS code, they cannot support some PCIe devices that are too old, we have reflected to Inte/AMD before, they did not provide any solution. In order to avoid some compatibility issues, please use a newer device on the new motherboard. Thanks!

AlHill
Super User

Intel did not make your motherboard, and Intel did not make the video card.  It is a real stretch for you to point at the chipset.

If MSI saysthe board cannot support the older video card, that should be enough for you.

MrPotter
Beginner

My problem is they are not owning it up. They are passing the buck to Intel. If I can get from intel that it is not their issue. I can it take it to them and get it fixed.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What baloney! These slimeballs regularly - and wrongly - try to pass the buck to Intel. This isn't anything to do with Intel - and it isn't anything to do with NVIDIA either. In this case, it is *their* motherboard's BIOS that is not supporting this aged NVIDIA graphics card and it is thus *their* problem to fix. End of story.

...S

MrPotter
Beginner

Thanks Scott.  I knew this was an issue with their motherboard as soon as it happened. When I insisted for a root cause they passed on the buck to intel.

I'll send them this and ask them to fix the issue.

AlHill
Super User

I have a GTS 250.   It was a very nice card in its time, which has long passed.  I agree with Scott that it is the MSI bios that needs to accomodate the card.  But, it is an old card.  If MSI does not support it now, they are not going to.  It is just not worth the effort for such an old card.  

I do not know if the card had updatable firmware.   You may want to check and, if so, update the card on a machine that can still support the card.  You may also want to try booting with the card in the MSI machine in legacy mode.

Other than that, get a new(er) card, or do not buy MSI again.