Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11460 Discussions

H61 bios update to support NVMe?

gbalkam
Beginner

So I have an older system with H61 socket and no M2 socket.  I purchased a NVMe SSD not knowing a lot about them.  I figured just plug it in and it would work. LOL!  right... 

So No m2 socket, no prob, I bought an M2 adapter, so sata apparently doesn't have a power pin on older systems *or something like that* so I bought an adapter for the old style power to sata to the M2 adapter to the SSD.  

Apparently, my bios will not recognize the NVMe SSD so is there a bios upgrade that will recognize NVMe or am I looking at replacing mainboard, processor and ram?  Here is the info I have on my board..

System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.5, 8/9/2018
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer INTEL Corporation
BaseBoard Product H61
BaseBoard Version To be filled by O.E.M.
Platform Role Desktop

16 Gig RAM

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

You are looking at replacing the motherboard.  Besides that, it makes no sense to continue to use a 2nd gen processor.   Of course, if you get a new, current, motherboard, you will be replacing the processor, memory, etc.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You are looking at replacing the motherboard.  Besides that, it makes no sense to continue to use a 2nd gen processor.   Of course, if you get a new, current, motherboard, you will be replacing the processor, memory, etc.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

gbalkam
Beginner

It makes perfect sense if you are on a budget and can't afford to run out and buy new every time something gets an upgrade.   lol.  I'm on fixed income and they didn't fix it very good.