Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11448 Discussions

Hard Drive IDE Mode Isn't Appearing On BIOS List

AlexSlater1234567

Hello, to anyone who preferably has an understanding of Computer Technology/Science; this is a bit of a tricky matter!  Wasn't sure where to put this in the different posting categories.

I am trying to switch my desktop hard drive to IDE mode from AHCI, because a certain OS I am trying to install from a USB key is not able to run on a AHCI Drive.  In the BIOS setup however, on the list there is only AHCI selectable.  A simple 1 item list only.  Why is this happening?

And second question, does changing the mode to IDE require a reformat?  Is there any way to do it with software strictly, as opposed to hardware?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

This is not an Intel problem.  Contact the manufacturer of your motherboard for assistance with their bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

AlexSlater1234567

You could try being a little bit more polite maybe?

Anyone can feel free to provide a solution if they know the problem...

AlHill
Super User

What was not polite?  You come here asking for help, and do not provide your Intel board model number.  Do you have an Intel desktop board?  If not, seek help from the board manufacturer.  General purpose help is not provided here.  This is a tech support forum for Intel products.

AlexSlater1234567

And again, who are you?  "Not an Intel Employee or Contractor", why are you acting like an arrogant know it all?

I asked for someone with Computer Science knowledge, not a dropout donut eating **bleep**head who is going nowhere in 10 years.  You guys are well on the way to getting into legal trouble for this website.

AlHill
Super User

Why do you refuse to provide information about your system?

What motherboard model?

Now, if you are going to resort to name calling and bad language, you will be violating the house rules.  And, if you are going to make legal threats, you are dealing with the wrong department.  And, as I explained, this is a tech support forum for intel products, not general purpose help.  If it is not an Intel desktop board, you need to contact the board manufacturer.  Reason why?  They know their bios and can help you. 

You want help, play by the rules.

AlexSlater1234567

I don't HAVE TO provide anything of my information.   I greeted, and you did not greet back properly.

Simple.  You want to be in a jail cell all by yourself then that's your problem.

AlHill
Super User

No information means no help.  Keep your motherboard a secret.  But, the first step is to determine why you cannot change your sata mode.

You want help, I asked for information to help you, and you refused to provide the information.

AlexSlater1234567

No, you asked for a hard smack on the bottom and I will very happily give you one with your father when we kick your door down.

EDIT:  No information means no help?  Then you need to start doing your first year again I think, and we'll get a nice custom program for you and your friends at all these companies going.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Listen child, the person you are insulting is a 40+ year veteran of the industry. As they say, he's forgotten more than you will ever know. You are interpreting terse as being rude. It is not. Learn the language. As for your legal comments, well, you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

AFAIK - and I am a 40+ year industry veteran as well - modern computer systems DO NOT support IDE mode. If the OS can't support AHCI, then it can't be run. Still, it is best to ask your motherboard manufacturer what their BIOS will or will not support.

If this is an Intel Desktop Board product, tell us what board it is and we will tell you whether it can support IDE mode. It would have to be an awfully old board for this to be the case.

Your only option - and only if your processor supports VT - may be to run a VMM on your system and load this OS into a VM.

...S