Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Haswell C1 vs C2 stepping - How to check? (AA number is not help)

Hello, I just bought BOXDH87RL, and it's AA-numbered as G74240-402, so I assumed it is equipped with C2-stepping chip according to Intel's pdf.

https://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/9846199D-00AA-459C-9923-EC1663FC857A/PCN112423-00.pdf https://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/9846199D-00AA-459C-9923-EC1663FC857A/PCN112423-00.pdf

This pdf says "The PCH (Peripheral Controller Hub) on the Intel® Desktop Board DH87RL will be converted from C1 to C2 stepping."

However, CPU-Z says it has C1 stepping, so I'm confused. Which is wrong, Intel or this software? Is there any way to confirm that?

Tags (2)
24 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

According to the PCN 112423-00, the motherboard with revision G74240-402 comes with C2 stepping.

I'm going to send this to the Engineering team in order to review your case. I'll keep you posted.

DSchu8
Beginner

Hello Sylvia,

unfortunately, I am in the same situation.

I explicitly bought a boxed Intel DH87RL (rev 402) to make sure to receive a C2 stepping as stated in the Intel PCN.

Nevertheless, CPU-Z says its a C1.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information. We already sent this issue to the Engineering team. We are still waiting for an answer

idata
Community Manager

Hi Sylvia,

Still waiting for an answer from the engineering team?

Would you kindly remind them that we have been waiting for more than a month?

Thank you!

MDiyo
Beginner

I'm also wondering about the same thing... I though I've bought an DH87RL C2 Board but CPU-Z shows me C1.

Max_M_Intel
Employee

Dear Sylvia,

I have been following the issue for weeks now and I find it very frustrating that Intel is being so reluctant with putting out information. I am about to build a new computer and don't think I want to wait much longer. Therefore chances are very high that you'll be losing a customer as I am now looking very concretly to replace the DH87RL with a board by one of your competitors (e.g. the Asrock H87M PRO4) ... and from what I'm reading on hardware-builder forums in my country I'm not alone to think so.

It's all quite a pity as the DH87RL seemed to be the perfect fit for my needs. Thanks.

SKunz
Beginner

Hi Sylvia

Mid of September my shop informed me that most of their BLKDH87RL units should contain the 'debugged' C2 Lynx Point chipset. I immediately bought the board after having received confirmation that the shop would replace a C1 mainboard...

...and I indeed got a C1. Now - 2 months later - I am still waiting for the C2 mainboard....

Thus, please let us know if C2 mainboards are really available!!

We would very much appreciate your help!!!!

Best,

Sailon

PS: All other components are waiting for their mainboard since 13/09

SKunz
Beginner

azcatz 21.11.2013 01:02 (als Antwort auf: sylvia_intel) :

Hi Sylvia,

Still waiting for an answer from the engineering team?

Would you kindly remind them that we have been waiting for more than a month?

Thank you!

It would be a great help :-( :-(

AJ11
Beginner

: I now have a second confirmed case (http://www.heise.de/forum/c-t/c-t-Projekt-PC-Bauvorschlaege/DH87RL-mit-Dauerton-im-Standby/posting-4... DH87RL mit Dauerton im Standby | Forum - heise online) of someone who has board revision 403 and still stepping C1 (according to CPU-z) of the Southbridge. When will there be a reply from Intel? We have been waiting for months now for an answer.

I'm about to order a board from Asus (H87M-Pro), who at least have a functioning customer service....

GMill9
Beginner

I also just bought a DH87RL from a local retail brick and mortar vendor.

Upon ordering and also upon pickup, I was assured that the board would have the chipset with the C2 stepping.

After installation, CPU-Z also told me that the chipset had the C1 stepping.

I went back to vendor, who has agreed to work with me rectify the situation,

But they say that they are not yet able to get DH87RL boards with the C2 stepping..

What can I tell my vendor that will help him get me a board with the corrected chipset?

It's been five weeks now since I picked up the C1 board, I and I'd like to be done with this and move on.

Thank you.

ZAgha
New Contributor II

Don't mean to go off post. However, I have a very similar problem also. Where my seller wants to give only one year warranty on an Intel MB "which I already bought". I checked it on the Intel Warranty website & it reported that I still have TWO more years in warranty. I already sent a mail to the warranty department but still no reply.

Point is:

Intel should be really more careful as to whom sells their products.

If it's a matter of Intel is so big & can't control everything. Samsung & LG, for example has a better customer support regarding these matters.

AJ11
Beginner

This problem is getting worse and worse:

In the German Heise Forum there is now somebody who has a board revision 403 and still has southbridge revision C1: (according to CPU-z)

http://www.heise.de/forum/c-t/c-t-Projekt-PC-Bauvorschlaege/Re-DH87RL-11Watt-1-10-sec-freeze-hang-me... http://www.heise.de/forum/c-t/c-t-Projekt-PC-Bauvorschlaege/Re-DH87RL-11Watt-1-10-sec-freeze-hang-me...

Is this an error in CPU-z or is Intel using up its own old stock?

@Intel: can somebody finally look into this and clear this issue? It has been unsolved for months now.

(sorry I also posted this issue in /message/215131# 215131 the other thread, I just found out I should have posted it here)

jdoe11
Beginner

I only signed up to say this:

I agree with what all of the fellow posters above have said:

Intel, it's really quite a shame how you're handling this issue!

The continued silence can only mean that you're hoping to sell off buggy stock while keeping potential customers in the dark. The fact that now even 403-revisions with c1-stepping are appearing really is the icing on the cake.

frustrating, really frustrating!

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Guys, I really apologize for the delay on providing a resolution on this matter, but I am afraid that the case is still escalated and we have not received feedback yet. .

Any new information will be posted on this thread.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Guys, all motherboards with revision -402 will all have C2 stepping. CPUz is most likely not reporting correctly.

There is a new revision available -403 that would definitely have the C2 stepping, if you are still getting the C1 stepping, it is a miss read from the software (CPUz).

SKunz
Beginner

Thanks Sylvia! :-) :-) :-) That's great news! Have been desperately waiting for this message.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I apologize for taking so long on getting the results.

PAlex4
Beginner

Hello Sylvia,

stepping C1/C2 problem unsolved.

I bought a dh87rl recently. AA# : -403, date of production: Oct., 16, 2013, Bios-Version: 0325. Should have C2-stepping.

In my case CPU-z says C1-stepping. An heise-tool says the same, C1-stepping. My board is unable to boot from a USB3.0pendrive (Linux/partedmagic) as (after wake up?) the device is not found anymore and booting files are not accessible. So this board has C1-stepping. Right?

Do they all fail?

@Intel, please solve this long lasting problem!

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Victim-misleaded, would you please send me a picture of the result you are getting from CPU-z?

I would need to send this to Engineering again to check it out.

Could you also provide me the AA# of your motherboard?

PAlex4
Beginner

Sure:

AA# and all the other # I got:

Please check asap. I bought other Intel-stuff aswell and I got a deadline from my dealer to clarify before sending back in case of no solution is going to be found.