Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FLser
Beginner

Hello, I have an Intel DH87MC board. I would like to install a m.2 disk. I have two questions: - The bios supports the boot from a PCI Card? - Someone can suggest me a compatible PCI card? Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Are you thinking about using NVME on this M.2? If so, I do not believe the MC board bios supports NVME, thus NO on the boot.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Erase "do not believe" from AL's statement; the MC board DOES NOT have support for NVMe and thus cannot support booting from an NVMe SSD. Now, if the add-in card provided a UEFI driver (in OpROM) that adds support for NVMe, booting might then be possible - but I have never seen a card that provides this capability.

At the same time, an add-in card that provides an Type B interface for M.2 SATA SSDs will only have access to the necessary SATA lane if this card also has a cable connection down to one of the board's SATA ports. While these cards do exist, they do not represent an improvement in performance and thus you are better off, from a cost standpoint, installing a M.1 SATA (mSATA) SSD in the socket provided on this board.

...S

AlHill
Super User

Corrected...

Doc