Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Intel, I am getting continues bluescreen error? After a lot of research finally, i decided to update my BIOS. Will it solve my Blue Screen issue? Plz find the below attachment of some bluescreen error image.

Comp Confg:

Processor: Intel i7 3820

MoBo : Intel DX79SI

GPU: Asus geforce gtx 560

Ram: Kingstone 1333Mhz 16GB DDR3

I am also upgrading my gpu to gtx 1050 TI and a new set of 1866Mhz DDR3 16 Gb Ram.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

As a general statement, I believe that you should *always* have the latest available BIOS installed. This is the only way to ensure that you have the latest bug and compatibility fixes and the latest microcode updates for your processor.

Ok, all that said, this sounds to me more like an issue with your memory than it does an issue with the BIOS.

Were these issues also happening with the new graphics card and DIMMs installed? If so, then you may have a problem in your motherboard or processor.

If you haven't tried using the new DIMMs, I think that you should. I would definitely recommend that you update to the latest BIOS and test with just the memory upgraded first. If this appears to be ok, then proceed with the graphics card upgrade.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Sir,

Thank you for the reply. This is very helpful. one more question, This is an assembled pc, so will updating BIOS occur any data loss or anything ?

and does Mobo DX79SI support DDR4 RAM ?​

Thank You in advance, Your way of answering is superb. I love it

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Worst-case, if a great many BIOS releases occurred between the BIOS release that you currently have and the (presumably latest) BIOS release that you want installed, then you could possibly lose your customized BIOS configuration. This can usually only happen if there is an architectural change in the BIOS that forces the reordering/realignment of the BIOS Setup parameters. Regardless, I usually don't worry about this issue as I *always* reset the BIOS configuration to defaults and then re-customize whenever I do any BIOS update.

At the same time, however, if there are a significant number of BIOS releases between your current BIOS release and the latest BIOS release - and especially if there is an architectural change in the BIOS along the way - just installing this latest BIOS release may cause problems. Instead, you want to work your way up to the current release a few updates at a time. If you would like, tell me what BIOS release you currently have installed and I will go through the BIOS Release Notes and the available BIOS releases and provide you with a plan for doing the update. This will only take me about 10 minutes to do (I will probably spend more time typing in my response 😉).

Remember that, going all the way back to the 5 Series boards (and the 1st gen Intel Core Processors), the memory controllers have moved into the processor, so the limitation on memory type(s) supported comes from the processor, not the board. At the same time, however, if multiple types *are* supported by a processor, typically only one of these types is going to be supported by a particular board, so the question of what's responsible for the restriction is often moot. In the case of the processors that could be used with your board (and any other boards based upon the (7 Series) X79 chipset), only one memory type, DDR3, is supported. In fact, it is not until you get to the 6th gen Core processors that you see support for DDR4 appearing.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello sir, my current BIOS Version is​ 0559.

Plz guide me what i need to do to upgrade my pc. As i am from a very non technical background, dont have much idea regarding this field. i will appreciate every help and support.​ i am planning to update it today, tell me if anything i am missing.

P.S: I am using express bios update.

And regarding ​DIMM, My processor is i7 3820 and i dont think it supports DDR4, So i am going for a DDR3 1866MHZ. Is it good ?

Thank you​

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The good news is that there are only two interim BIOSs that you need to worry about and no architectural changes have been made, so you can do this using Express BIOS Update (EBU). Here are the steps you should take:

1. Download the EBU executables for BIOS versions 590 and 650. Here are links to these two BIOS releases:
    1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23015/BIOS-Update-SIX7910J-86A- (download file SIX7910J.86A.0590.EB.EXE)
    2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23825/BIOS-Update-SIX7910J-86A- (download file SIX7910J.86A.0650.EB.EXE)
  2. Double-click on file SIX7910J.86A.0590.EB.EXE to start is executing.
  3. Follow the instructions displayed. This will result in the system restarting.
  4. After system restarts, the BIOS update will automatically begin installing. You should see progress report onscreen.
  5. When the update completes, let the system reboot into Windows.
  6. Double-click on file SIX7910J.86A.0650.EB.EXE to start is executing.
  7. Follow the instructions displayed. This will result in the system restarting.
  8. After system restarts, the BIOS update will automatically begin installing. You should see progress report onscreen.
  9. When the update completes, the system will reboot.
  10. When the BIOS POST Splash Screen appears, use the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup.
  11. Use the F9 key (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults.
  12. Use the F10 key (followed by Y) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  13. When the BIOS POST Splash Screen appears, again use the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup.
  14. Make any changes (boot order, etc.) to the BIOS Configuration that you require/desire.
  15. Use the F10 key (followed by Y) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  16. Verify can boot to Windows.

No, you cannot use DDR4 memory. DDR3 1600 MHz is recommended, but you can probably use DDR3 1866 MHz.

You are welcome. Let me know how it goes,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you sir, i was supposed to directly install the latest version. I will follow these steps. But there is a lil confusion starts from your point 10. Can you plz explain point 10 onwards...what do i need to do ? On Fri, 18 Jan 2019, 8:07 am Intel Forums <supportreplies@intel.com wrote:
0 Kudos
Highlighted

When the system is powered on or reset, the BIOS runs its Power-On Self-Test (POST). When this completes, a splash screen will appear. This splash screen will be accompanied by a prompt menu saying something like:

F2 to Enter Setup

F7 to Update BIOS

When you see this splash screen, quickly press the F2 key over and over and over until BIOS Setup is initiated.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Sir,

Thank you so much for all your help and guidance. I successfully update my BIOS. So as i told you before in order to upgrade the computer, i ordered new DIMM (16 GB DDR3 1600Mhz) , SSD (Crucial BX500 480GB) and GPU ( Nvdia Gtx 1050 TI ). So i need your help in assembling and setup.

Here are some of my question. I know my questions are weird, i am so sorry for that. But without your support i can't do anything.

1. I am using windows 7 from starting. and now i want to update my windows to 10. Will it be a good discussion after upgrading my Bios and Hardware ?
  2. Is there any way to check if my current GPU ( Asus Gtx 560) is working properly or not ? If it is good, Then will my motherboard support both GPU, old one Gtx 560 and new one Gtx 1050 Ti.
  3. A complete guide to install SSD. (From mounting SSD on my cabinet to plugging on motherboard to setup Windows 10 on it.)

Thank You in Advance

Amlan

0 Kudos
Highlighted

They call my daddy "Sir", I go by "Scott".

1. What part of purchase installation media (or purchase license and make your own media) and install it don't you understand? Really, if you want help installing Windows 10, go ask Microsoft.
  2. I am not sure I understand the question. What happens if this card is in the system and you power on? Do you see output on monitor? If you press F2 during POST, do you see graphical BIOS Setup? As for the second part of the question, you can have multiple graphics cards, but I am unsure if the boards can be from significantly differing eras (this is a question to ask NVIDIA).
  3. If you know so little that you need help at this level, go hire a shop to do it for you.

...S

0 Kudos