cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Help recovering BIOS of bricked DH67CF

Hello all,

I just tried to update my DH67CF(G10215-203) BIOS to the recently released 0131 version(BLH6710H.86A.0131) but bricked my board. The updating process seems to be fine, as at least I used to see the screen showing flashing modules with version 0131 showed upon. BUT then, after an automatically reboot, the case fan runs at full speed, nothing appear on the screen - in short, POST failed(or even not initialized), so I have to push power button for few seconds to shut the system down.

Then I tried these:

1. Clear settings, first by moving the jumper to the next pins, then by unplugging the battery on board(plus unplug the PSU). No help.

2. Then I noticed there're beeps by forced shutdown. Tested & results will be stated below.

3. Follow the BIOS recovering process found on Intel site(and also in this forum). Remove the jumper head, unplug all peripherals, copy BL0131P.BIO(yes, 0131 ver. at first I thought it would be something wrong when transferring binary, so re-downloaded & tried) to empty USB stick (I can only found at minimal 4GB ones, not someone said below 2GB, so I made a 502MB partition to use FAT16), power on and wait almost half an hour. Nothing happened.

4. Then I tried to recover to the version 0125, the latest one I sucessfully flashed. Still nothing.

5. Tried few times, with the recover jumper at pin 2-3(clear configure) as some posts here introduced, with different partition scheme and format. Seems no hope...

Some further investigations:

0. The failed flash process

I made my USB stick bootable to FreeDOS to have some DOS utilities run on raw machines. So I run IFLASH2.EXE instead of using F7 method. I think the failure may because of this, maybe FreeDOS' modern kernel? But IIRC FreeDOS stuffs don't alter BIOS int functions, and IFLASH2 should run fine.

1. On beeps

While forcing shutdown(pressed the power button), the board beeps seems in the manner of "memory error": beep - beep - beep, then the system shuts down. Even without repeat, I can identify because the last stop lasts longer than inter-beep stops(noticeable to me). So I removed 1 DIMM then 2 DIMMs(all for this board), but the system behaviours same. I think the board should beep without any DIMM, but not.

Another thing about beeps is, at sometimes, the beeps are like not initialed fast enough, so I can hear a long silent, then sequence beeps but not finished all 3 because the system is already powerred off.

2. On basic I/O

After the reboot of that failed flash process, the case fan rotates at full speed(according to its spec, no input or full high-level input on PWM pin). I've unplugged it, then I realized that CPU fan(from Intel) is not at full speed. Seems like improper functional of the SuperI/O chip?

Any suggestions on what should I do next?

Thanks and regards,

Zhe

Edit:

Intel offered a RMA as I have "No Video after BIOS Update". I received the replacement on Okt. 15th Thank you all for your followups.

0 Kudos
48 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Personally, two updates to DH67BL (one is my main HTPC, another is my WHS 2011 server) went fine.

Also, I updated one DH67GD (my main software dev machine) and it went fine.

Those three systems are running great with 0131.

Both DH67CF updates failed in exactly the same way.

So far, the issue appears to be specific to the DH67CF. But since Intel has pulled the 0131 update from the website, I would hold off even if you already had downloaded it.

idata
Community Manager

I called back prepared to run some final tests and the tech was immediately prepared to set up the RMA process. I will pay shipping myself (not a big deal to me) but the process was fast, which is more important. I'm not happy a buggy BIOS release got out into the wild (I'm sure someone at Intel isn't either), but I am happy about the quick handling of my issue this morning.

idata
Community Manager

today I had a call with intel support and the guy told me that it would be the better (faster) way to send the board back to my dealer and to get an other from him.

Intel would take at least one week for sending it back.

So I have got a ticket from my dealer and I can send it back without any costs.

regards

idata
Community Manager

I didn't bother fighting for them to pick up the shipping. I have my own UPS account and it was only a bit more than $10 to send both of my failed boards (put them in one box). We'll see what happens when they send the replacements.

Perhaps Intel will have the replacement BIOS posted by then...

Note to Intel BIOS devs: Please do a peer code-review this time before sending it out.

Note to Intel BIOS test: Please test on every motherboard model it applies to. Duh.

HPark17
Beginner

I don't really mind spending $10 or so, but not being my fault at all, $25 is kind of a lot to pay out of my pocket to get next day shipping advanced exchange. Yesterday the second time I called them for a replacement of replacement, it only(!) took 40 minutes on the phone to set up another next day advanced exchange, no shipping charge on me.

I'm really upset about getting a junk replacement, but I also understand how hard it must be to test these one by one. My first replacement board boots up fine so they probably finished testing it any further. Anyways, I got my replacement board for the replacement board today, it's a refurbished board, and it didn't have any re-soldering marks, but it did have some sticky stuff which looks like it's been sprayed all over the back.

Before putting everything back together, I tried my i3-2120 cpu on another desktop just to make sure it has no problems with cpu temperature sensor. No problems there. I put everything back together in my Lian Li Q11, this time it took about 3 hours. Yeah, I'm getting better at this as my wires are wearing out from bending it back and forth. I think everything is working fine now, at least I know for sure the cpu sensor and fan control are working.

Now because of system changes, I have to redo all the Windows activations, Office 2010 activation, Visio 2010 activation over the phone because I already did too many online activations. What a pain and waste of time. Good luck to you all who ordered a replacement board. I wish I had bought this from a retail store, then I would have just got a brand new replacement.

MMoll1
Beginner

Sounds like a gamble when buying certain computer hardware and if you're affected - you're screwed.

I'm about to get a DH67CFB3 as well but when reading about these issues, it makes me feel lose interest.

Thought the Gigabyte GA-H67N was a better alternative, but apparently a number of people complain about intermittent, total loss of video.

That's weird couse one of Gigabyte's main reason advertised is their high quality material that they're using while the DH67CF still uses 3-phase VRM and low budget capacitors. Intel's mainboard has no undervolting / underclocking feature - the Gigabyte with H67 chipset has.

What's wrong with Intel, I wonder. They just don't give a monkey.

idata
Community Manager

Ich habe das selbe Problem. BIOS-Update von 125 => 131 mit F7 . System fährt herunter. Danach wieder eingeschaltet und es gibt keine Bilschirmschirmanzeige.

Beim Ausschalten beep das System 3 mal und schaltet ab. Dieser Zustand kann mit keiner bis jetzt von intel empfohlenen Methode behoben werden.

Ebenso kann ich bestätigen, dass im Dowload Center dieses BIOS sofort wieder heruntergenommen wurde. Hat intel eine Lösung das Problem zu lösen, oder

wer kommt für den Schaden auf ?

idata
Community Manager

Add me to the list. Used win update method from 0125 to 0131, windows shut down, rebooted, flashed BIOS, and got the successful message. A few seconds later it attemped what appeared to be a reboot, the display went completely black and into power save mode. Nothin since. Doesn't even attempt POST.

HPark17
Beginner

I received my replacement motherboard from intel yesterday. I spent about 5 hours (really!) putting back my desktop. It takes so long because I have to stuff everything in my Lian Li Q11 case. My CPU temperature shows 0C. Is this a bad board? I noticed that the board was a refurbished with lots of sticky stuff on the back side of the board, and I could see some re-soldering done on it. Man I'll be so pissed if I have to take it apart again because it's a bad replacement board. I only used my original new board for less than a week, and the defective BIOS bricked my board. Now I have what looks like a used repaired refurbished junk board.

Is there any other reason why the CPU might show 0C?

Here's my stuffed desktop. The white thing is Swiffer dust pad in front of a fan. Does a great job at filtering air.

The CPU temperature reads 0C in the BIOS and also when using intel Desktop Utilities in Windows

I tried BIOS version 0125 and 0112, I did reset to default to values just in case. Still not working.

If it's only the CPU temperature reading that is not working, I would not really worry too much. Well, it does actually matter because I can't use the CPU fan control tied to the temperature. But who knows what else could be wrong with this board. Very disappointed at intel's replacement board.

Please, somebody tell me I'm doing something wrong. Wong setting or something. Taking this apart will take me another hour.

It is an amazing setup though. This desktop only uses 20W at idle using intel graphics, and 42W with GTX460! Awesome computer case too.

idata
Community Manager

@hp79

Temperature sensors present on CPU, which is unlikely to break(Of course, it may break, for example, by ESD from your body when uninstall/install, but this case is nearly impossible IMHO). And from your description, it is highly doubt that something on the replacement board goes wrong.

I don't know how Intel's software internally works, but for 3rd party softwares, such temperatures are offen got through a logical way - by reading MSRs IA32_THERM_STATUS_MSR and/or IA32_PACKAGE_THERM_STATUS. Logical means, in this way, the work is done like you let CPU doing 1+1 etc. So getting temperatures in this way and check if your CPU is good.

And what may be wrong on motherboard side is the so-called PECI. It is something real connecting CPU and IO chip, PCH(IIRC). The fan speed control that you've concerned, is implemented by this way thus can available even your OS freezed. So the worst thing is, if you can identify the problem is not on your CPU, you should make a second replacement.

For futhur infomations, read http://download.intel.com/design/intarch/PAPERS/322683.pdf http://download.intel.com/design/intarch/PAPERS/322683.pdf

BTW I've sent my board to Intel for a RMA process today. And this post worries me a little, as the bad BIOS resulted mis-function of IO chip, so is there any chance that bad BIOS may burn our CPU already?

Regards,

Zhe

HPark17
Beginner

@fangzhe

Thanks for your reply! That was a really good read. I read somewhere that there is also a temperature sensor underneath the socket, but I was probably misinformed by the old days stuff.

I might try the CPU on my other motherboard if I find the motivation today. It takes an hour to disassemble the tiny box, and I'm probably not going to put it back until I receive an exchange motherboard, so I'm really frustrated by that.

Another thing worried me was with the replacement board, I set USB optimization in the BIOS. When I get into Windows, there a yelow ! mark on Renessas USB 3.0 saying device cannot start. It will only work if I disable USB optimization in BIOS. I don't know if it was the same with my original intel motherboard since I only used it for about a week. Is this the same with everyone elses board? So there's no way to enable USB optimization in BIOS and have USB 3.0 functionality?

Edit:

I just used Handbrake for couple minutes, it triggered the desktop utility with 100% fan speed and noise. Trigger message was VR Temperature exceeing max at 128C, and also Memory Temperature at 127C. I touched the heatsink, it was warm like 70C which is normal for 100% CPU use, but not 128C hot. The heatsink on the memory was cool to the touch. I have a very good air flow all over the motherboard, and see no reason the voltage regulator temp would spike that much. So I'm definitely sure I got a junk motherboard. After a reboot, the fan speed went back to very quiet. I really hate it that I have to be dealing with these things. Imagining calling intel support tomorrow is a headache!

idata
Community Manager

Hello from Kazakhstan!

DH67BL (B3) + BIOS 0131 = OK!

I've used this method:

Express BIOS Update [BLH6710H.86A.0131.EB.EXE] - Self-extracting Windows*-based update file includes Software License Agreement and the utility for updating the BIOS. It is designed to be used on Windows* systems. This method is the most commonly used.

By the way - where I can find original "BLH6710H.86A.0131.EB.EXE"? I just need to update another one board DH67BL (B3).

idata
Community Manager

Yes... the fact that 0131 works on DH67BL (and DH67GD... perhaps others in the H67 media series) was stated earlier in this thread.

The 0131 BIOS update was pulled due to it bricking DH67CF. I'd guess 0131 will not be back... rather an update to it with corrected code for DH67CF and a new version number when Intel fully tests the solution.

MMoll1
Beginner

Hello Intel, do you read me?

When re-writing a new BIOS version, please implement an undervolting / underclocking feature.

If you don't know how to do it, ask the experts at Gigabyte, because the GA-H67N can do it.

Jesus Christ, would you please listen to your customers for once?

Thanks

idata
Community Manager

To ka3ax

As well as I understand, you would like to get 100% original bios and to be sure of that.

Go to your earlier updated DH67BL board and find there in root of system drive directory like EbuDllTmpDir, wherein you can find file BiosUpdate.bio.

It is 100% original bios file. No need to ask anybody to send you anything by email and to have a doubts that it is not original.

Copy it and use F7 Function key method to update your next DH67BL. Good luck.

idata
Community Manager

Just thought I'd write an update for this:

Yesterday, I rec'd my replacments for my two bricked DH67CF boards. All was good with the replacements. Flashed with 0125 (still the latest available since 0131 was taken down) and had to re-activate Windows (it must read a SN from the MB or something, eh?).

I imagine it will be a while before we see a BIOS update for these boards, as they must be a bit gun-shy now. Perhaps this has taught Intel QA dept a bit of a lesson -- "Testing is the act of running the software on the target platforms in an effort to discover bugs before releasing to customers..." Pretty simple, but I guess they missed that lesson in the comp.sci. course.

idata
Community Manager

you are lucky to have your boards back. I am still waiting...... it's now three weeks ago that I have sent my board to AVITOS to change it.

If I could have imagined that it would last so long, I would have bought a new board, most likely none of Intel. And after receiving mine I could have sold it.

Just imagine what damage someone had if he needed his computer for work an must wait so long!

idata
Community Manager

According to my WHS 2011 backup history (which does nightly backups of all computers), mine were out for 24 days. My PCs, in this case, were non-critical (HTPC for garage and guest house), so it wasn't a big deal to wait. If I needed them quicker, I probably would have just ordered a new board and sold the warranty replacment.

idata
Community Manager

I noticed that Intel has posted BIOS 0132. I'm a little gun-shy now, but I would think they fixed the DH67CF bricking issue... although no mention in the release notes.

Has anyone taken the plunge on their DH67CF?

idata
Community Manager

Figure 125 is more attractive for me than 132 and I am going to stay with it for a while )).

Have read release notes and have not interest to test it yet.

MMoll1
Beginner

Thanks for letting us know.

If anyone ever dares to use the update, please let us know the outcome.

Thank you

PS: I would really like to know the exact differences between version 125 and 132.