cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Help recovering BIOS of bricked DH67CF

Hello all,

I just tried to update my DH67CF(G10215-203) BIOS to the recently released 0131 version(BLH6710H.86A.0131) but bricked my board. The updating process seems to be fine, as at least I used to see the screen showing flashing modules with version 0131 showed upon. BUT then, after an automatically reboot, the case fan runs at full speed, nothing appear on the screen - in short, POST failed(or even not initialized), so I have to push power button for few seconds to shut the system down.

Then I tried these:

1. Clear settings, first by moving the jumper to the next pins, then by unplugging the battery on board(plus unplug the PSU). No help.

2. Then I noticed there're beeps by forced shutdown. Tested & results will be stated below.

3. Follow the BIOS recovering process found on Intel site(and also in this forum). Remove the jumper head, unplug all peripherals, copy BL0131P.BIO(yes, 0131 ver. at first I thought it would be something wrong when transferring binary, so re-downloaded & tried) to empty USB stick (I can only found at minimal 4GB ones, not someone said below 2GB, so I made a 502MB partition to use FAT16), power on and wait almost half an hour. Nothing happened.

4. Then I tried to recover to the version 0125, the latest one I sucessfully flashed. Still nothing.

5. Tried few times, with the recover jumper at pin 2-3(clear configure) as some posts here introduced, with different partition scheme and format. Seems no hope...

Some further investigations:

0. The failed flash process

I made my USB stick bootable to FreeDOS to have some DOS utilities run on raw machines. So I run IFLASH2.EXE instead of using F7 method. I think the failure may because of this, maybe FreeDOS' modern kernel? But IIRC FreeDOS stuffs don't alter BIOS int functions, and IFLASH2 should run fine.

1. On beeps

While forcing shutdown(pressed the power button), the board beeps seems in the manner of "memory error": beep - beep - beep, then the system shuts down. Even without repeat, I can identify because the last stop lasts longer than inter-beep stops(noticeable to me). So I removed 1 DIMM then 2 DIMMs(all for this board), but the system behaviours same. I think the board should beep without any DIMM, but not.

Another thing about beeps is, at sometimes, the beeps are like not initialed fast enough, so I can hear a long silent, then sequence beeps but not finished all 3 because the system is already powerred off.

2. On basic I/O

After the reboot of that failed flash process, the case fan rotates at full speed(according to its spec, no input or full high-level input on PWM pin). I've unplugged it, then I realized that CPU fan(from Intel) is not at full speed. Seems like improper functional of the SuperI/O chip?

Any suggestions on what should I do next?

Thanks and regards,

Zhe

Edit:

Intel offered a RMA as I have "No Video after BIOS Update". I received the replacement on Okt. 15th Thank you all for your followups.

0 Kudos
48 Replies
HPark17
Beginner

Hell no. I'm not stupid enough (or brave enough) to test it out and risk going through all those hassle of getting a bad replacement refurbished board again.

It is tempting though, hoping that it might fix /message/141727# 141727 this problem that I'm having with the fan labeling and monitoring in BIOS. I highly doubt they will ever fix it though since it's just a minor bug/incovinience.

Who knows, maybe the only differences is:

(fix) No longer bricks DH67CF

idata
Community Manager

125 -> 132 for dh67cfb3 all ok!

MMoll1
Beginner

@ vps

Do you notice ANY differences within the BIOS menu?

Thanks

idata
Community Manager

All the same.

idata
Community Manager

I upgraded my DH67CF board to 0132 (from 0125), and now I dont get any video during POST. Luckily, my win7x64 system starts up fine after that, with normal video. I was previously on 0125, and very happy with it.

I used the EB method (from windows), and during the update when the power led was flashing I had no video - which made me worry I had bricked my CF. Then the "starting windows" screen displayed, and windows booted up fine from there.

I tried reverting back to 0125 via recovery bios method, but still dont have video during POST.

The issue I now have is that since there is no video during post, there is no way for me to get into my bios settings and view/edit them.

I will be posting a thread asking for help about how to get video back during POST since I am sure at some point I will really want to view/edit my BIOS settings :-)

idata
Community Manager

I have no such effect: dh67cfb3 + i3-2125. You can try a different video cable?

idata
Community Manager

Maybe this will help, trying the fast boot recovery.

Recovery Steps

Fast boot recovery 

The BIOS is able to determine if the previous attempt to boot was unsuccessful. When the computer is booted, if the previous boot failed during POST, Fast Boot will be disabled and the following message is displayed: "The previous boot attempt failed. Would you like to restore Fast Boot on the next boot? (Y/N)". If the boot attempt fails after POST (OS boot failure etc.) no message is displayed and Fast Boot is still active.

Power button recovery 

The power button can be used to recover if you encounter Fast Boot problems.
  1. From a powered off state, press and hold the power button for approximately 2 seconds (release it when you hear 3 short beeps).
  2. The BIOS will follow a normal boot path as if Fast Boot were disabled.
  3. If Fast Boot was enabled, the following message will be displayed: "Fast Boot failsafe trigger was detected. Would you like to restore Fast Boot on the next boot? (Y/N)"

Back to BIOS recovery 

This method can only be performed on Intel® Desktop Boards that include the Back to BIOS feature. It is triggered by pressing a button on the back panel of the board. When this button is triggered, it will light up and the BIOS will follow a recovery boot process. It forces the BIOS to boot directly into the BIOS Setup, where you can disable Fast Boot if needed.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/img/back2bios.jpg

BIOS recovery with the configuration jumper

This method can be performed on any Intel desktop board.
  1. Refer to your board's Product Guide or Technical Product Specification for the location of the BIOS configuration jumper.
  2. Move the jumper from Pins 1-2 to Pins 2-3.
  3. Turn on the system and it will boot directly into the BIOS, where you can turn off Fast Boot if needed.

Note on A/C power loss  

If Fast Boot is enabled and your system loses A/C power during the POST process, the board will detect the A/C power loss on the next boot and you will receive the message ""The previous boot attempt failed. Would you like to restore Fast Boot on the next boot? (Y/N)".