Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Help with DX58SO2 Motherboard Troubles

I recently purchased a DX58SO2 motherboard and I,m having boot issues. the problem is very specific and reproducible . It occurs in two different situations.

Situation 1:

The computer is turned off for a period of 2 hours or more. (I'll call that a cold start) when the power button is pressed the motherboard powers on

runs for 2 seconds then powers off for 1 second ,then powers on again with no boot, all fans running and a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button

once and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. the computer seems to run very stable afterward with no other problems.

Situation 2:

The computer goes into hibernate state and sits that way for 2 or more hours, I click the mouse and the board powers on but hangs with all fans running and

a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button (sometimes up to 3 times in this scenario) and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. also I would like to note that any application/s that were running at the time the computer went into its hibernate state were returned to the same

states they were in upon windows resuming, with no stability issues noticed.

This doesn't seem to be a simple turn the computer off and it won't boot back up problem. its time sensitive in some way.

My System Spec's:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO2 (ofcourse) BIO's Updated using Express BIOS Update SOX5820J.86A.0765 and set to default

Processor: Intel i7 960

Ram: 6GB Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 Vengeance PC12800 DDR3 RAM 3x 2048mb triple channel (listed as CORE i7 on the box it comes in)

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 460 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 (one card only, not running SLI at this time)

Hard Drive: Seagate ST3320418AS Barracuda Hard Drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3G 16MB cache (pluged into SATA port0)

DVD: Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner (pluged into SATA port5)

PSU: Corsair TX950W Power Supply

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

Steps I've taken to try and resoulve this issue:

1. Unpluged SATA hard drive and DVD from motherboard and attempted boot.

2. Removed RAM and ran each stick indiviualy

3. From the BIO's I turned down the voltage on my RAM it was running by default at 1.5125v I turned it Down to 1.5v (per tech support suggestion)

this of course is the only change I have now made to the default BIO's settings.

None of these steps had any effect or helped in any way, the problem persists. I'd like to add that this was a painfull touble shooting session as I had to wait about two hours inbetween tests after successfull boots. to make sure I was reproducing the problem if it was going to occur again after a change.

It has been suggested to me by Tech support that I do not have compatible RAM . I was very supprized to hear this since the DX58SO2 supports the RAM type I purchased, but it turns out that my i7 960 CPU does not infact if you look at the specs none of the 15 Intel Processors listed as compatible with the DX58SO2 are spec'ed out for RAM over 1066mhz. I'm told that the Ram is handled by the CPU now and not the motherboard and that the the BIO's is forcing my 1600mhz ram to run at 1067mhz, which it is. it was suggested that this is the reason that my DX58SO2 is experiencing this boot issue and that if I continued to use this 1600Mhz RAM that I would probably start to experience other unpredicable side effects. I'm not particularly interested in over clocking, I chose the DX58SO2 because it seemed to have alot of potential for me to upgrade my system over time.

I'm was'nt realy So I'm biting the bullet and I have orderd 6GB of 1066mhz

297 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

The CPU I750 Uses DDR3-800 or DDR3-1060 , But you have installed DDR31600, In The BIOS what speed is the RAM running at ?? The CPU has a built -In Memerory controler.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I just got 3 of these boards. And 1 of them seems to have the power-on glitch. It's driving me crazy. I don't really have access to the other 2, but I think they're okay.

At first the problem board was having the sleep issue, it wouldn't wake up from sleep. Updated the BIOS to the latest 876 I believe. And it's having the power-on problem, maybe it was having that issue before, not sure. Every now and then the diagnostic digits stay at 00 right when you power it on. After about 6 seconds, it power cycles itself. Then sometimes it comes out if and the digits will continue and boot fine, but every now and then it will stay at 00 until you hit the RESET button then it power cycles itself again and it boots fine. Sometimes hitting the power button has no affect when it locks up like this.

So does anyone know if reverting the BIOS back to 603 would help in this situation?

I'm using some g.skill ripjaws 1600 XMP 9-9-9-25 1.5v RAM. Using some standard Crucial 1G DDR3 RAM made no difference, I don't think it's anything to do with the RAM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

quote: "So does anyone know if reverting the BIOS back to 603 would help in this situation? "

I thought yes.

But I was wrong.

Only RMA the board helps in fact.

newest BIOS knows best the JEDEC Ram tables and sets up right the parameters.

RMA the board and install newest BIOS right away and be happy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

M.T.R wrote:

quote: "So does anyone know if reverting the BIOS back to 603 would help in this situation? "

I thought yes.

But I was wrong.

Only RMA the board helps in fact.

newest BIOS knows best the JEDEC Ram tables and sets up right the parameters.

RMA the board and install newest BIOS right away and be happy.

Alright. Well thanks for the quick response. I guess I'll have to RMA it. I hope I have all the parts lying around to send it back. I know how NewEgg can be about original packaging..

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Here are my CPU-Z numbers for Memory and SPD

Any Surprises? System seems to be behaving better today, but that's probably just to lure me into a false sense of security. Also, I haven't tried to hammer on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Here's my CPU-Z Memory and SPD:

Any major surprises?

System's been pretty good today, but we'll see how long that holds up. Anyone recommend a good x58 board? hell, If I that deep in, I may as well move to the 2nd gen...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

I had to bump the RAM volts to ( 1.6 ) , I checked with coursair First , and the sys is completly stable now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

you only send the board back,

not the parts.

but the cpu slot must be covered with the origin slot cover or compatible.

otherwise they may refuse the board.

i even did not pay the transport.

but you must get a rma number first.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

M.T.R wrote:

you only send the board back,

not the parts.

but the cpu slot must be covered with the origin slot cover or compatible.

otherwise they may refuse the board.

i even did not pay the transport.

but you must get a rma number first.

Well I'm sending it back to NewEgg, and they require/ask that I package it back up with everything I received with it. But I did purchase an RMA UPS label from them for almost 11$, kind of sucks, but oh well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I just received my 2nd board today, and now I'm getting the error code 17 on the LED display. My 1st board had a power-on glitch, that sometimes it wouldn't boot from the first power on. Now, after I RMA'd that board to NewEgg and just received the new one a few hours ago, and now I get this issue. These boards suck. The boss is going to be pissed after waiting 2 weeks for this board. These are work computers, and need to be reliable. I'd advise everyone to stay away from these boards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Oh my ..

you are not lucky.

if the board is OK it boots everytime.

we have two of them as work computers.

one was allright from the beginning.

the other one had to be RMA and was changed.

now the second board is all right.

both board have the same devices:

Intel DX58SO2 (BIOS 0867)

Intel Core i7-960

Kingston KHX1600C9D3K6/24GX

EVGA nVIDIA GeForce GTS 450

Enermax Modu87+ 900W

we use the standard bios settings.

for our audio purposes we have modified some parameters:

hyperthreading mode = OFF

so we have only 4 cores / 4 threads

RAMsettings = AUTO

uses the Kingston JEDEC table for freq. 533.3

USB 3 = OFF

extern eSATA = OFF

intern SATA blue = OFF

the two PCs work 100% for our recording studio.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Well, actually got the board to work. Stupid user error, I had the RAM in the BLACK slots. But they require to be in the BLUE slots. :/

So the board is booting okay now. :> Running some Prime95 and benching to make sure it's stable. Hopefully I don't see the same boot issue as before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

i hope with you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Everyone!

Just bought this board myself to replace a 3 year old CPU+RAM+MBoard combo. Previous board was solid, DP45SG+Core 2 Duo@3Ghz (E8400), 4Gb Corsair ram.

I would like to point out a somewhat obvious, yet not so obvious to person like me new to i7 Processors, point that you may want to check the DDR rating of your CPU, not your RAM.

I too was wondering why my ram was clocking at 1067 rather than 1600 by default. Turns out the Processor I put in, i7 960, only supports up to 1066DDR3 ram speeds Basically I could have saved a little money and continued to use my existing 1333mhz DDR3's, but lessoned learned I guess

My system then, will blue screen when running the XMP 1 profile under stress (which happened to me at the worst of times, partway though a raid finder boss fight..).

Course, now that I understand why, my system is set to automatic detection in bios, and system is stable a my old one....except for the infamous 00 issue.

I believe in my case it's the power supply being inadequate.

I get an additional issue where my POST screen is BLACK/BLANK, I don't get bios setup key prompts at all, and it just boots straight to Windows...I did find that if I set the Hard Disk Pre-Delay to something like 10 (default is 0) THEN I get a glimpse of the Intel splash screen.

Anyway, I'm going to get a new power supply when I can afford to get a decent one, and shall report back thusly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello everyone.

Just a quick question in the hopes someone can answer.

I rebuilt my home system and purchased the DX58S02 last year (March '11) with the I7960 for work, not gaming. I wanted a board that could run a LOT of RAM for the software my company puts out. I am running 24GB of DDR3 PC3 12800 1600mhz right now and that is running great.

My problem is that as of late (lilke yesterday and today), when I boot up, it takes like 3 minutes to post ... the BIOS info doesn't even show up until like 3 minutes later. The code '58' is showing lit up. I wait for that time and then everything is fine.

It's never done this before yesterday, so wondering what happened and hoping someone knows and can answer.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

we had the case, that a bad cd burner (or sata cable) was causing slow bootup.

i would look for external devices, drives usb etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks. I figured it out though I think. I'm getting a post code of 58 which is 'resetting the USB bus' in the manual/guide. I performed a community search and found where someone said if you have a card reader (which I do for testing) inserted, to unplug and it should boot normally. I'm going to test this theory tonight.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

if you have a card reader this is for sure the problem.

there was already a thread about card readers in this forum, and there was no model working.

0 Kudos