Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Help with DX58SO2 Motherboard Troubles

I recently purchased a DX58SO2 motherboard and I,m having boot issues. the problem is very specific and reproducible . It occurs in two different situations.

Situation 1:

The computer is turned off for a period of 2 hours or more. (I'll call that a cold start) when the power button is pressed the motherboard powers on

runs for 2 seconds then powers off for 1 second ,then powers on again with no boot, all fans running and a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button

once and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. the computer seems to run very stable afterward with no other problems.

Situation 2:

The computer goes into hibernate state and sits that way for 2 or more hours, I click the mouse and the board powers on but hangs with all fans running and

a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button (sometimes up to 3 times in this scenario) and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. also I would like to note that any application/s that were running at the time the computer went into its hibernate state were returned to the same

states they were in upon windows resuming, with no stability issues noticed.

This doesn't seem to be a simple turn the computer off and it won't boot back up problem. its time sensitive in some way.

My System Spec's:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO2 (ofcourse) BIO's Updated using Express BIOS Update SOX5820J.86A.0765 and set to default

Processor: Intel i7 960

Ram: 6GB Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 Vengeance PC12800 DDR3 RAM 3x 2048mb triple channel (listed as CORE i7 on the box it comes in)

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 460 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 (one card only, not running SLI at this time)

Hard Drive: Seagate ST3320418AS Barracuda Hard Drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3G 16MB cache (pluged into SATA port0)

DVD: Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner (pluged into SATA port5)

PSU: Corsair TX950W Power Supply

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

Steps I've taken to try and resoulve this issue:

1. Unpluged SATA hard drive and DVD from motherboard and attempted boot.

2. Removed RAM and ran each stick indiviualy

3. From the BIO's I turned down the voltage on my RAM it was running by default at 1.5125v I turned it Down to 1.5v (per tech support suggestion)

this of course is the only change I have now made to the default BIO's settings.

None of these steps had any effect or helped in any way, the problem persists. I'd like to add that this was a painfull touble shooting session as I had to wait about two hours inbetween tests after successfull boots. to make sure I was reproducing the problem if it was going to occur again after a change.

It has been suggested to me by Tech support that I do not have compatible RAM . I was very supprized to hear this since the DX58SO2 supports the RAM type I purchased, but it turns out that my i7 960 CPU does not infact if you look at the specs none of the 15 Intel Processors listed as compatible with the DX58SO2 are spec'ed out for RAM over 1066mhz. I'm told that the Ram is handled by the CPU now and not the motherboard and that the the BIO's is forcing my 1600mhz ram to run at 1067mhz, which it is. it was suggested that this is the reason that my DX58SO2 is experiencing this boot issue and that if I continued to use this 1600Mhz RAM that I would probably start to experience other unpredicable side effects. I'm not particularly interested in over clocking, I chose the DX58SO2 because it seemed to have alot of potential for me to upgrade my system over time.

I'm was'nt realy So I'm biting the bullet and I have orderd 6GB of 1066mhz

297 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Without incident, I've already performed the BIOS update on mine, via USB stick and F7. My Vengeance modules won't be here until Monday, all 24 GBs - CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9 - which the DX58SO2 board is spec'd to support. I've wanted to increase RAM capacity ever since my DX58SO daze. Now seems to be the opportune moment. With this tuned set, if for some reason, the board balks at the full 24 GBs, I can back it down to 12 GBs and try that.

I don't understand why Intel even bothers with the Marvell controllers. I had so much trouble with the Marvell eSATA II connectors on the back that I wound up disabling them in the BIOS. The Marvelous internal 'Blue' SATA III connectors, ACHI mode, would lose any SATA III, System disks attached to them if powered down for more than one or two hours. Scrapped that pursuit, but I think there might be a remedy implemented for that within the last BIOS release: version 0779. Anyway, that's another chapter.

Meanwhile, as I await the arrival of my Vengeance modules, I'll try a few cold boots and wakes from system induced S3 and see if the infamous "00" hang still appears...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I'm having some serious issues with the new BIO's update 0779. among other things I can't seem to run the Extreme Memory Profiles at all. I've also noticed some new options in the BIO's relative to the Memory Timing tCWL for one and there are no entries for this in the Extreme Tuning Utility. If i try to run the XMP profile it will not allow it and reverts back to the default profile 1066MHz. I thought that the new tCWL entry was causing the issue, so being unfamiliar with that setting I looked it up. By default it was set to 6 but the info I found on it suggested that for 1600MHz it should be set to 8. I had to set the profile up in the BIO's because the XTU didn't have all the entries I needed to set the profile there. even after setting it in the BIO's and saving I got the red LED flash during boot telling me it wasn't going to accept the settings and it forced me to accept the default settings of 1066MHz again. anyway it's 2:30 AM I was hoping to get to sleep early tonight but that went out the window at 10pm when I installed this BIO's update. Not looking good at this point I'll try again later Hope you all are having better Luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

So far my rig seems to be stable, fingers crossed behind back. I still have my USB devices disconnected. I did swap the DVI connection back to DisplayPort and reconnected my three Intel RAID-5 disks yesterday. Allowed system to initiate sleep a couple of times and powered down completely, including power supply switch; awoke from system induced sleep with the shake of the mouse and booted from complete power down without incident. Left rig powered down completely overnight, booted up today, again, without "00" incident.

After mulling over your post, I decided to check to see if I would experience similar problems engaging the XMP profile…which modules - TR3X6G1600C8D - are still running at default (Auto) setting: 1067. After selecting XMP, the system had no trouble rebooting and retaining the XMP profile. Concerned about the 1.65 voltages' these chips need and the new, expensive, processor, I reentered BIOS and reset the parameters back to Auto.

I don't have the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility installed. I had trouble with previous iterations of this tool, so I never much liked it. And, in my opinion, it could be playing a factor in not allowing the BIOS to retain the XMP profile. You may want to try uninstalling the Utility, launch into your BIOS, note the configuration settings you have changed from default, especially if any RAID disks are involved, hit F9 to set the BIOS back to its default settings, then re-adjust your personal disk settings back to what you had, along with anything else you might have changed from default. Then, try again to apply the XMP profile and see if it will stick. If it does, you might have second thoughts about reinstalling the Tuning Utility. If you do reinstall, it should work properly, but you might need to go through this mad process each time you reflash the BIOS.

If the above should fail in allowing the XMP profile to stick, with the Desktop Utility still uninstalled, try reflashing the BIOS from the flash utility installed on a USB stick and reboot. In order to access this, you'll need to hit F7, when F2 BIOS access prompt appears. After completion, enter BIOS and again, go through the F9 sequence mentioned above.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Amunaor, Thank you for your insight, the "Extreme Tuning Utility" did in fact appear to be the culprit. after removing it I was able to run and retain the XMP profile and no more red LED at boot. I'm a bit put off by this though, because I really liked it as a monitoring tool if nothing else, and the fan controls were very handy. It was working great until this last BIO's update. I'm going to test the cold start now and I'll also have my Fingers X for that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Good to hear that!!

Well, sad to say, but the infamous "00" hang from a cold boot power up is still here. I had my rig powered down for a couple of hours while a storm passed through. After which, I switched the power supply on and hit the ON button. There it was, stuck on the big "00" with fans blazing. Hit the reset button and it cycled through Post as it should. What a disappointment!

Hope you're having better luck! Hopefully the Vengeance modules, due to arrive on Monday, will turn this thing around for me!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

You must live very close, I'm in Maryland we had the same type of storm. I am extremely happy to report that I have had with my Vengeance RAM installed and running once again at 1600MHz two successful cold starts without incident each at least 2 hours apart. and Im going to continue to test it till Monday. I never was able to get the computer to boot right with the 1066MHz RAM or with the 1600MHz RAM running at 1066MHz. I do have a concern for you though I looked your RAM up yesterday and its a different CAS. It's CAS 9 I hope that's not going to make a difference for it. I'm running CAS 8 on a CAS 8 Profile. I'm Extremely interested in the out come, because I do a great deal of Graphics related work and while I would be happy with 12GB of Vengeance RAM I would be much happier with 24 : ) . I've still got my fingers X

As for the waking up issue I never experienced what you and Sunfox and several others have reported, after I fixed my boot issue I started testing and among those tests was letting the computer hibernate to see if it would boot properly upon waking and it would boot back up and take me to the OS and i could run all kinds of render tests. But during that testing I started to play with the fan controls Dynamic settings because I noticed my CPU was running alittle hotter during longer renders (I'm using the default Intel heatsync for now). I increased the idle speed to 30% making it run about 1115 RPM its default setting ran at 20% at 1020 RPM. my system temp idles around 35C I have my fans set to increase speed at 45C increasing speed to reach 100% at 65C. this all works great, Until.. I let the computer hibernate and wake. as I said the computer wakes up and reboots and windows resumes. all previously running programs that I had open resume as well, and are in a stable condition. since I had XTU open while testing I noticed that my Fan speed settings did not return to the set 30% 1115 RPM, instead it would default back to the 20% 1020 RPM and I would no longer have control over the fan speeds from within XTU. when I rendered an Image the CPU would get as hot as 60C but the fans wouldn't ramp up. they were stuck at 1020 RPM, I did notice that the system default for static fan seed was 20% 1020 RPM , thinking that maybe the dynamic fan speed control was crashing or failing to wake with the rest of the system i decided to turn the default static control to 30% also. but even after setting it and rebooting then letting the system go to hibernate and wake after two hours, when it woke it would still default back to the 20% 1020 RPM and the only way to get it to adjust was to reboot.

But wait there's more...

I also noticed that my LAN connection was slow to wake up, the computer could be up and running for as much as 2 min. and the LAN would still not reinitialize although it did shortly after that time. after the machine finished waking it would be stuck at a 30 state as displayed on the LED (Resuming from S1-S5 State) and it would not return back to 00 (standard),as I'm pretty sure it should. well that's pretty much as far as I got before the I started testing the 1066MHz RAM. now that my system seems to be working ok again relative to the booting. I'm going to spend some time and see if these things are still an issue after that last BIO's update 0779.

Just as a side note I decided not to reinstall XTU for now. but I am looking for a good monitoring program one that works real-time while other programs are running and doesn't list CPU temp's as margins.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I used Corsair's RAMinator for that selection which I purchased from NewEgg. The 24-GB set is only available with those timings:

http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory-solutions/intel-triple-channel-kits.html http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory-solutions/intel-triple-channel-kits.html

Still, they should run at: 1067MHz 1333MHz and 1600MHz-XMP all at the prerequisite 1.5 volts

The 12-GB Vengeance set is also rated at those same timing specs.

We'll see what happens.

Yes, I live in Virginia.

I also experienced another "00" hang. This time after manually initiating sleep, then shaking the mouse to wake, the system hung for a second at "00" then rebooted into another "00". This time I hit reset and it went on through post.

Have you tried the Intel Desktop Utility (Monitor Only):

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18934&ProdId=3262&lang=eng&OSVersion=... http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18934&ProdId=3262&lang=eng&OSVersion=...

Like I said...there seems to be no rhythm of reason to this madness!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

It all seems very specific to me. I have a 2hour time and the machine will boot great anytime under that 2 hours and anything under 1600MHz RAM and she won't boot.in fact that's way to specific in my option. I've got it in sleep mode now I may not post again tonight but I'll let you know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Distinguished friends, we are trying to solve a problem that was not created by us, I havea processor 990x, corsair dominator pc3 CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 1600-2000, intel250g SSDSC2MH250A2K5, EVGA GeForce GTX 580 GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0Graphics Card and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit . my computer with these components do not present any problem with a board Rampage Extreme III. all problems have arisenafter I made the change to BOXDX58SO2 intel board.

can anyone help me with this problem?

all the steps discussed previously in this community have been in vain.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Telly I'm really not sure what problem you are having, if it's to do with 00 booting issue then I suggest you read through this thread and see if you can pick up some pertinent information.

Well, yesterday I tested, tested and tested some more I found more issues after updating to 0779 BIO's then I had before. I was experiencing some real problems with the waking state, it would hang every time at wake on 6F (BDS driver entry) I waited more then 15 min to see if it would move past this state on it's own but it never happened. I had to push reset every time. also this problem wasn't time sensitive at all it would happen if I woke the machine right after inducing the sleep state, or if I let the machine sit for 2 hours after it went to sleep itself. I was still seeing the "network not connecting" upon waking. but I want to clarify that. the network wouldn't go back to a connected state like it is when you do a boot. but if you clicked on a browser it would then reconnect to the network and show that it was. this could be some setting in windows, I didn't check. I also experienced intermittent loss of my keyboard , and for the first time the full on fans with 00 no boot after waking.

I was also having 00 boot hang during cold starts, I would call it intermittent. since the "Extreme Tuning Utility" was causing me problems with the 0779 BIO's and I uninstalled it, (to allow me to use the XMP profile) I wasn't able to see if I was still having fan RPM issues, because without it there are no real fan controls, you are either all on or slow for CPU fan. their was more but I,d had enough, I restored the 0765 BIO's Reinstalled "Extreme Tuning Utility" and reset my XMP profile from the restored 0765 BIO's. so far I have 5 clean cold starts in a row no hang (I had 19 in a row before BIO's update) in fact it never hung again until I updated to 0779 BIO's and now I've got my fan controls back. I'm testing waking states again on old 0765 BIO's I've passed one with no 6F hang so far.

I'm not much of a Gamer I built this machine for Graphics work all be it a budget Gaphics machine. But that EVGA motherboard is starting to look good to me even with the SATA Issues. I realy wish this board was acting like it should.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Whew! Sounds like you've really been through the mill. For me, as far as the "00" hang is concerned, the new BIOS hasn't changed much of anything here. Still sporadic "00" hangs, more so, it seems if aroused from system induced sleep than manually induced and awoken via the power button.

Spent more time reading and chasing this ghost on the internet, than anything else; wondering if I have a bum board or processor; how many others out there pulling their hair out over this same symptom, but not seen here complaining? I wonder too if we might not be barking up the wrong tree, for it appears that Microsoft has had major 'boot issues' related to their Sleep and Power Options going all the way back to Vista, which have never been properly addressed. Now it appears these same gremlins may have been forwarded and folded into Windows 7! Are Intel and Microsoft even on the same page!? What's the purpose of having all these wonderful power saving features if they don't work!? Today I have enabled the hard disks to 'Never' sleep and the Processor is set to run at a 100% all the time. But how does disabling the Windows Power/Sleep Options play out with the BIOS EIST & C-State settings, which also depend on Turbo-Boost?

I guess when my new RAM arrives tomorrow, along with the installation, I'll need to settle another nagging doubt, pull the processor and make sure it's seated properly, although I'm sure it is.

---

As for your network connection, if you're not utilizing the secondary LAN connection, try disabling it within the BIOS, see if that helps. Nice feature, but it seems to act goofy if nothing is connected.

What brand HD's are you using? What connector are you running your system disk from?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I can't see how it could have anything at all to do with windows since it happened even after unplugging the HD and the DVD. Im actually starting to think its something to do with a capacitor or something physically on the board. In my mind I'm thinking it's voltage related and their by something that holds a charge isn't doing so in a regular fashion, (A capacitor for example). keeping in mind I am of limited Knowledge of such things. only reason I wasn't going in that direction before is because the Tech support guy assured me that it was a RAM incompatibility. after reading the i7 960 specs for memory, what he said made since, even if Intel selling a Board that didn't match those spec's but was matched to that processor didn't. but i did go that route I bought RAM that was spec it did the exact same thing acted exactly the same way as the 1600MHz ram running at 1066MHz as you know from reading this thread the only way I was able to get past the boot issue was to induce an XMP profile that Intel made but doesn't support. I Have hit this board hard and spent alot of hours, A LOT of HOURS, testing and researching and trying to figure out what the problem was and im not over clocking or anything of that nature I would have been perfectly happy with the 1066MHz RAM if it had solved the issue. I still have no idea *scratching head* and you said in your last post exactly what I've been thinking "how many others out there pulling their hair out over this same symptom, but not seen here complaining?" I have seen a couple other posts from folks that did reviews on this board saying something about this but it was barley mentioned. Unless someone here in these forums or Intel can give me some insight to something I haven't tried I have to say I'm done testing. Now I have to make up my mind wether to keep this board or return it and see if I can find one that will just work right, and don't get me wrong I expect trouble shooting no matter what I get. But this was a bit much in my opinion with no real resolution.

So, for now the vengeance RAM seems to be holding. I have had a couple issues with it in the last BIO's I reverted back to older BIO's and it seems to have solved the boot issue. I can do a work around with the sleep settings by disabling. in all honesty I didn't used them before in other PC's but then they weren't as power hungry as this one is, so I was wanting to utilize them this build. but what now ? my intention was to upgrade this machine over time to Quadro cards more RAM and Raid and eventually a xeon or extreme processor. Frankly I'm concerned about the way future BIO's updates may go and I think I'm going to end up needing them as I add to this system, but after reading so much about the DX58SO Boards I'm not sure I should keep this one and I'm running out of time to decide.

I still can't wait to hear how it goes for you. I'm really hoping it goes well.

all my computer specs are listed in the first post I made for this thread and I posted a correction for the RAM I'm using a couple more posts down. I accidentally cut and pasted the 12GB kit, and I'm using 6GB kit. It's pretty much bare bones system I figured since I was building on a good foundation I could spend more later. sigh* And my older Core 2 build still runs great thank goodness.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi: We have the identical boot issue you describe, but not the hibernate issue. The boot issue seems to be random, but also seems to happen more often if there is a longer time from shutdown to next boot. Common elements besides the DX58SO2 with latest bios are the 960 and the HAF 922. Memory is 12g slower memory. Different hard drive, DVD, and power supply. Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Same here. I have the sleep mode turned off. It only happens if the system is down long enough for everything to get cold. It it's warm it boots perfectly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Here is the system info:

Windows 7 64 bit

Motherboard: Intel BOXDX58SO2 with 0779 BIOS installed

CPU: Intel Core i7 990x 3.46G 1366

Graphics: EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GTX580

Memory: Kingston 2Gx2 KST KHX2133C9AD3T1K2 4GX (6 2G DDR3s 2133 Mhz - 12G TOTAL)

boot drive SATA 6G: SSD 120G/Intel SSDSC2MH120A2K5

500G Western Digital SATA 6G: WD5002AALX 500G

Western Digital SATA 3G: WD5003ABYX (two of them)

1TB Samsung SATA 3G: HD103SJ 32M 7K PUS

Corsair 1200w CMPSU-1200AZ BD Burn Pioneer SATA 3G: BDR-206DBKS DVD BURN SATA 3G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

thank you for posting the spec's I was just reading your first posts and wondering about your system spec's

the more system info the better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I'm going to try something in the morning to rule out Windows 7 as a possible problem. I'm going to turn off the computer so it's good and cold in the morning and then I will try booting from the Windows 7 64 bit DVD. If it still has problems booting, that will at least give us some more information.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

This morning my computer was cold. I put in the Windows 7 Professional 64 bit DVD and turned it on. It booted to the DVD without any problems. I removed the DVD and booted to the ssd drive. That took me into windows without any problems. Unfortunately, this doesn't give us any definitive information yet. I have turned the system back off to cool down and I'm using a different computer.

I decided to try this series of tests because of something I read about the "New" auto-repair that Windows 7 has for the boot process. I'm just telling you this from memory of the different material I read on the Web yesterday. If there is a post problem, Windows 7 runs an auto-repair. If it can find a problem and do a repair it will continue to boot into Windows. If it can't find a problem to repair, it will display the ... there was a boot problem detected, could be because of changes to bios ... etc. This is only displayed if it does not locate and repair a problem with the boot process. I'm wondering if this is what we're seeing.

Yesterday, when I cold booted the system it came on for a second (lights on fans running) then it click all the way off to no lights no fans and immediately started again. This is something I've seen before in the boot failures. Instead of hitting the reset button, I just sat there and watched it. Nothing seemed to happen for quite some time so I went to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee. When I came back and refreshed the monitor, Windows was up and running. I'm wondering if we are seeing this new auto-repair working. If anyone knows more about how Windows runs this auto-repair could you please post it. I will continue to try cold boot to the DVD throughout the day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

good morning Toxicwolf,

when I have this happen it never gets to the point of checking drives when the power button is pressed the motherboard powers on, runs for 2 seconds then powers off for 1 second, then powers on again with no boot it just sits there with all the lights on and all the fans running. I will say I,ve never walked away from it for any length of time while this was happening, but I have let it sit and run in that state for about 3 min. or so before pressing the reset button. I have also tried this with the HD unplugged and no disk in the DVD and with the DVD and hard drive unplugged, same result. It just doesn't seem to be getting to that point. it's been slow going with the testing because I'm having to wait two hours before I get to try the next thing. the two hours is playing a large roll in this at least on my end. I actually was setting the alarm on my I pod to go off so I would wait at least the two hours. Peter posted something that made me want to try one last thing. He's got the same case as me, and while I think its a long shot, I'm going to unplug the power and reset buttons from the case to the motherboard. I'm also going to move my power LED and HD LED cables to the alternate LED positions. and see if that has an effect. Last night before bed I made a couple of changes in the BIOS and this morning I saw the boot issue return again so I'm going to see if somehow this makes a difference. Keep experimenting .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

I'v been reading this post for a while , and I just wanted to ask a stupid question, In you Boot Order do you have the HD that has the OS First in line in the sys ??

0 Kudos