Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Help with DX58SO2 Motherboard Troubles

I recently purchased a DX58SO2 motherboard and I,m having boot issues. the problem is very specific and reproducible . It occurs in two different situations.

Situation 1:

The computer is turned off for a period of 2 hours or more. (I'll call that a cold start) when the power button is pressed the motherboard powers on

runs for 2 seconds then powers off for 1 second ,then powers on again with no boot, all fans running and a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button

once and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. the computer seems to run very stable afterward with no other problems.

Situation 2:

The computer goes into hibernate state and sits that way for 2 or more hours, I click the mouse and the board powers on but hangs with all fans running and

a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button (sometimes up to 3 times in this scenario) and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. also I would like to note that any application/s that were running at the time the computer went into its hibernate state were returned to the same

states they were in upon windows resuming, with no stability issues noticed.

This doesn't seem to be a simple turn the computer off and it won't boot back up problem. its time sensitive in some way.

My System Spec's:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO2 (ofcourse) BIO's Updated using Express BIOS Update SOX5820J.86A.0765 and set to default

Processor: Intel i7 960

Ram: 6GB Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 Vengeance PC12800 DDR3 RAM 3x 2048mb triple channel (listed as CORE i7 on the box it comes in)

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 460 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 (one card only, not running SLI at this time)

Hard Drive: Seagate ST3320418AS Barracuda Hard Drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3G 16MB cache (pluged into SATA port0)

DVD: Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner (pluged into SATA port5)

PSU: Corsair TX950W Power Supply

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

Steps I've taken to try and resoulve this issue:

1. Unpluged SATA hard drive and DVD from motherboard and attempted boot.

2. Removed RAM and ran each stick indiviualy

3. From the BIO's I turned down the voltage on my RAM it was running by default at 1.5125v I turned it Down to 1.5v (per tech support suggestion)

this of course is the only change I have now made to the default BIO's settings.

None of these steps had any effect or helped in any way, the problem persists. I'd like to add that this was a painfull touble shooting session as I had to wait about two hours inbetween tests after successfull boots. to make sure I was reproducing the problem if it was going to occur again after a change.

It has been suggested to me by Tech support that I do not have compatible RAM . I was very supprized to hear this since the DX58SO2 supports the RAM type I purchased, but it turns out that my i7 960 CPU does not infact if you look at the specs none of the 15 Intel Processors listed as compatible with the DX58SO2 are spec'ed out for RAM over 1066mhz. I'm told that the Ram is handled by the CPU now and not the motherboard and that the the BIO's is forcing my 1600mhz ram to run at 1067mhz, which it is. it was suggested that this is the reason that my DX58SO2 is experiencing this boot issue and that if I continued to use this 1600Mhz RAM that I would probably start to experience other unpredicable side effects. I'm not particularly interested in over clocking, I chose the DX58SO2 because it seemed to have alot of potential for me to upgrade my system over time.

I'm was'nt realy So I'm biting the bullet and I have orderd 6GB of 1066mhz

297 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Back to the problem at hand ,??? what voltages did the Intel XMP profiles set your RAM to ??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I downloaded the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and ran it over my system. I set it to use the lowest level of overclocking in automatic mode. I did NOT do this because I wanted to overclock my system. I did it because I knew it would run a lot of stress test with different settings on different parts (CPU, RAM, etc.) I sat and watched it run for over an hour, stress testing different settings. It got a BSOD on a ram speed setting of 1400 and stepped back to the last good setting. Here are the settings it ended up with and the ones I have running on the system now:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

After using my machine for a while I've noticed a 'subtle' pattern. When I start a cold boot I switch on the monitor, then walk over to the PC which is 5M away. If I'm too slow the monior will enter a stanby mode, with a black screen before I get to the PC. If that happens my boot will usually hang at 00. I have an asus-vk266 (16:10) monitor connected via a 5M hdmi cable. I don't remember testing it on a dvi cable becuase I couldn't see how it would make a difference.

Is this observation just the product of desperation?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

I am using a different board but I had the same problem I could not get it stable over 1400Mhz either so thats were it's been running for the last couple of months . Gets 7.4 in the windows score . So I am going to leave it right there at 1400 .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi evwrt

Considering that I think it all traces back to a PCIe problem, that makes perfect sense.

Bob

When the Utility got a BSOD it had set the RAM at slightly over 1400. I don't remember the exact number but it was 1400.xxx Being over the 1400 even a very slight amount could be the key.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I know this thread is long. but, I ran 1066MHz RAM with the exact specs that Intel specifies. and I ran it triple Channel at specified speed 1066MHz and still had this problem. the only time I was able to get the machine stable and avoiding the boot problem was when I was running 6GB Corsair CMZ6GX3M3A1600C8 Vengeance PC12800 DDR3 RAM 3x 2048mb triple channel at 1600MHz with the XMP set manually as posted in the beginning of this thread. you may want to brows the thread from the beginning again. I also listed the model Numbers so folks could check the RAM specs.

I never once got the blue screen of death during my testing. I also ran the Autotuning feature from the extreme tuning utility. If at any time I veered in anyway from the original 1600MHz settings that I posted toward the beginning of this thread I would experience the Boot Issue again. that included BIOS update 0779, which would render those setting ineffective. it's important when trying to resolve an issue to stay focused and be aware of what has been tried and what has not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I pvt. messaged "Justin" and asked him if he got his board back and if so was it working and could he post his results.? he messaged back saying he had received his new board and was getting no boot issues at all since the new board. : )

I also messaged him back and asked him to please post his system specs RAM type and so on hopefully he will and this will help you guys out, and me too because i may buy another and try it out if that's the case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

S.C.,

Thanks for this! Interesting! Now how do we get an RMA from Intel? I just typed RMA into the Community Search box and it appears getting one is like pulling teeth and you'd better standby with a great big bottle of antacids.

We'll see what info Justin blesses us with. I'm still living in a state of denial, feeling hopey that a BIOS will come flooding out from the Intel Vortex to wash away all our troubles.......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

LOL at the antacids I feel your pain.

I really don't think it's BIOS related. Now, as for the RMA when I called Tech support in the begining's of this whole thing on my second call to them the Tech said he could arrange to send me a new board, right before he said he didn't think it would solve the problem. so I'm thinking you should call the support number Keep in mind its not a toll free number so you may want to use your cell phone. its listed onsite.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

hey I seem to be having same kind of problems with ms sys It was up and running good with no problems utill i used auto tune and sys shut down and now wont even go to bios I am running dx58s02 I7 970 12gb corsair tr3x6g1600c9 mem I have trtied every different way to test by elimination but nada just 00 and 2 green light

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi jdlsvs

Try using the jumper to reset the cmos or just pull the battery off your motherboard for several minutes and then put it back in. Your system might start back up after that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

20. Apr 23, 2011 1:33 AM /message/122248# 122248 in response to: /message/122248# 122248 Swiss_Cheese

/message/122233# 122233 Re: DX58SO2 wont boot displays "00"

FROM JUSTINJ:

I received the replacement board on March 2nd. RMA'd through newegg since it failed within a couple of days of purchase.

CPU: 980X @ 3.33ghz

CPU Cooler: Corsair H70

RAM: 12GB (6 sticks) Corsair Dominator @ 1600mhz using xmp profile (TR3X6G1600C8D)

MB: Intel DX58SO2 (AA G10925-205) current BIOS 779

Graphics: 2- EVGA GTX580 in SLI

PSU: Corsair AX1200

HDD: 128GB Corsair P3 SSD, 1TB WD Caviar Black (on the Blue connectors)

Case: CM Storm Scout

LINK: /message/122253# 122253 http://communities.intel.com/message/122253# 122253

POSSIBLY ANSWERED: BROKEN INTEL DX58SO2 MOTHERBOARD

----

Apparently Justin hasn't had a boot issue since his board was replaced!

Purchased 3/1/2011, unfortunately, I wasted 3 weeks RMAing my first Intel board back to NewEgg, which I didn't even bother to install, because it looked like it had been trouble-shot, repackaged, then placed back into circulation. The back of the board had sticky residue all over it, with chunks of foam rubber and finger prints imbedded everywhere within this. By the time I received the second board and discovered the "00" hang, my 30 day window for RMA back to NewEgg was shut.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Where is Intel!? Not a peep!

Those posting here, like myself, up all night, struggling to resolve this, possibly, unnecessarily spending money on new components, are now faced with the prospect of wrangling with an Intel RMA and downtime, for god knows how long while broken board is confirmed bad and replacement arrives.

In effort to trouble shoot this board further, I had ordered up a Corsair AX850 power supply arriving Monday, from NewEgg. I'm almost afraid to plug it in for fear of finding yet another RMA.

Like the guy posting on the Corsair Forum, who builds computers for clients, said he's never seen such a bad run of components in need of RMA's, I too am really losing my purchasing confidence.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Where's Intel Not a Peep ???? Intel does have a CHAT LINE , Get on the chat line and give them a pice of your Mind ???# @$# @%^&%^

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Get them to open a case file a complaint ?? Swqeekie wheel get's the oil.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for the Bob. I'll look into it. Being it's the weekend, I'll probably need to wait until Monday, to strain my vocal cords into ear of techie. Maybe even Tuesday, see if new power supply has any effect on symptom, which I kinda, at this point, doubt.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

jdlsvs, next time you use "extreme tuning utilities" autotune make sure to check the little radio button option to set a restore point. this may help with future over clocks. also if your running only a stock heat sync don't be to brave with the settings. worse come to worse you can use the recovery jumper.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

yep I saw that last night Amunaor, thank you. you might have wanted to "quote" Justinj on the spec's so folks reading this thread would know those are his spec's in response to the discussion. also my feeling is it makes no scene to "call out" Intel to come in here and proclaim a grave error and apologies to all for the unforgivable wrongs they have done to us. yes, that was my version of sarcasim . all you have to do is call them as mentioned before, they will try to help you, they will start a ticket and give you a reference # for that ticket, and the board has a 3 yr warranty on it. if its bad they will replace it. they offered to replace mine on the second call if that's what was going to make me happy. they suggested I try the RAM and it was my choice. I'm sure you will find the help you seek if you reach out to them. it sucks to have to wait for a new board and I know RMAing can be a nail biter not knowing what you may get back when it comes back. but if the board is bad if you have tried everything else, (and you have) just call them and give it a shot. or as Bob suggested go to the live chat and talk to them there. then come back over here to us so we can see how everything went and continue to help each other.

Good Luck

Now I have to head over to my mothers house and fix her computer Sigh*

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Newegg comment regarding DX58SO2:

I tried to play nice and go with 1.5 volt memory, since my 1.65 volt memory was stretching the limits of how high the CPU memory controller is supposed to handle.

I decided to get new memory while I was at it. The product guide claims this board can handle "DDR3 1600+, DDR3 1333 MHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, and DDR3 800 MHz DIMMs. Speeds over 1600 MHz are supported via XMP profiles". Well, sort of. I bought 6gb of Corsair Vengeance 2000Mhz.

The board fired right up. But, the memory ran at 1066 Mhz. No problem. I loaded Win7 and Office 2010 without issue. Updated the Bios. Then went to work on the memory. Tried the XMP profile. Result in Blue Screen or rebooting. Tried manually setting the memory paramaters. I could only get it to run at 1066 Mhz. Just for kicks, I tried my old Corsair dominator 1600 Mhz memory. Set the XMP at the system ran right away. No "memory" issues. Some time when I get time I'll mess with the Vengeance again.

The only other issue I have found (EVGA board owners are going to love this) is that the board double pumps on a cold boot.

Hope a new Bios will fix!

----

Other interesting "00" comments from new owners of this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121470 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121470

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

thanks I tried all that and still nothing I have nothing installed but 1 stick ram and still it wont even go to bios

0 Kudos