Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Help with DX58SO2 Motherboard Troubles

I recently purchased a DX58SO2 motherboard and I,m having boot issues. the problem is very specific and reproducible . It occurs in two different situations.

Situation 1:

The computer is turned off for a period of 2 hours or more. (I'll call that a cold start) when the power button is pressed the motherboard powers on

runs for 2 seconds then powers off for 1 second ,then powers on again with no boot, all fans running and a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button

once and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. the computer seems to run very stable afterward with no other problems.

Situation 2:

The computer goes into hibernate state and sits that way for 2 or more hours, I click the mouse and the board powers on but hangs with all fans running and

a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button (sometimes up to 3 times in this scenario) and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. also I would like to note that any application/s that were running at the time the computer went into its hibernate state were returned to the same

states they were in upon windows resuming, with no stability issues noticed.

This doesn't seem to be a simple turn the computer off and it won't boot back up problem. its time sensitive in some way.

My System Spec's:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO2 (ofcourse) BIO's Updated using Express BIOS Update SOX5820J.86A.0765 and set to default

Processor: Intel i7 960

Ram: 6GB Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 Vengeance PC12800 DDR3 RAM 3x 2048mb triple channel (listed as CORE i7 on the box it comes in)

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 460 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 (one card only, not running SLI at this time)

Hard Drive: Seagate ST3320418AS Barracuda Hard Drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3G 16MB cache (pluged into SATA port0)

DVD: Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner (pluged into SATA port5)

PSU: Corsair TX950W Power Supply

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

Steps I've taken to try and resoulve this issue:

1. Unpluged SATA hard drive and DVD from motherboard and attempted boot.

2. Removed RAM and ran each stick indiviualy

3. From the BIO's I turned down the voltage on my RAM it was running by default at 1.5125v I turned it Down to 1.5v (per tech support suggestion)

this of course is the only change I have now made to the default BIO's settings.

None of these steps had any effect or helped in any way, the problem persists. I'd like to add that this was a painfull touble shooting session as I had to wait about two hours inbetween tests after successfull boots. to make sure I was reproducing the problem if it was going to occur again after a change.

It has been suggested to me by Tech support that I do not have compatible RAM . I was very supprized to hear this since the DX58SO2 supports the RAM type I purchased, but it turns out that my i7 960 CPU does not infact if you look at the specs none of the 15 Intel Processors listed as compatible with the DX58SO2 are spec'ed out for RAM over 1066mhz. I'm told that the Ram is handled by the CPU now and not the motherboard and that the the BIO's is forcing my 1600mhz ram to run at 1067mhz, which it is. it was suggested that this is the reason that my DX58SO2 is experiencing this boot issue and that if I continued to use this 1600Mhz RAM that I would probably start to experience other unpredicable side effects. I'm not particularly interested in over clocking, I chose the DX58SO2 because it seemed to have alot of potential for me to upgrade my system over time.

I'm was'nt realy So I'm biting the bullet and I have orderd 6GB of 1066mhz

297 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

I was only doing the minimum settings and I have corsair H70 cooler installed The tune program did not even finish before it quit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Have any of you guys installed windows 7 SP1 yet , I have on most of my machines and have encounter a number of weird problems??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Amunaor,

The Newegg review was mine. I have been following this thread for a while, trying suggestions as they came along. So far no change.

I still have the two basic issues:

1. Running higher speed memory that is supposed to run using the XMP profile.

2. The double pump cold boot issue. At least with the EVGA boards, the board will eventually boot on it's own. On my DX58SO2, I need to hit the rest or power button to get it to boot. I do not believe this is a memory or hard drive or Power supply issue, since the fans come on and the system works well enough to display "00" on the diagnostics display and this is before any hard drives or memory should be part of the equation.

I would love to know the specs and configuration of all the folks that gave the DX58SO2 the 5 star reviews. Maybe it is the memory speed. But, this raises two issues.

1. The literature claims that the board supports 1600+ using the XMP profile

2. If the board will only run reliably (as in boot normally) if you use 1066 Mhz memory, I would not consider this board to be extreme and certainly not worth the "extreme" price tag.

I just keep poking around looking for an answer.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bob,

When I bought my new Windows 7 Professional it came with the sp1 already in it so I have it installed on my system. I still haven't had a double boot 00 problem since I moved the computer. The old "Slap the TV. That'll get it working." seems to work on this board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Ohhhh!

Two of these boards from NewEgg, but I never did leave any remarks, YET. At this point the remarks would take up several pages!

Sometimes I get the 'Double Pump EVGA launch through POST into login screen, other times I need to intervene by hitting the front-panel reset bottom, once, maybe four or five times in order to release it from the clutches of the "00" hang.

From soft-shut-down, and or, hard-cold-shut-down, the result of the "00" hang is sporadic, one or the other, but pretty much the same. When I was experimenting with wake-up from S3 sleep, sometimes I would get a hang in code: "bF" that required intervention of hitting the front-panel reset button.

I too would like to know the specs of those people with successful builds around this board. Maybe they are only temporarily successful and just don't realize what lurks beneath that benevolent build.

I'm about at my wits end.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

On Windows 7 sp1. I thought I had bought an oem windows 7 x64 sp1 1pk, however recently I noticed that the packaging has 3pk on it. It only has one sticker and disc inside, so I don't know whether its licensed for 3 machines or not.

I haven't been able to decide if RMAing is the way to go. I get the 00 thing even when the board is warm, i.e <2min after shutdown, so I can't say for sure that there is a bad connection/broken track, etc. Bent pins come to mind, but close inspection reveal nothing.

Like everyone here I'd love to see specs of known working systems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

bgolden, I must agree with you its nothing to do with windows,power supply's, hard drives or RAM. despite my success with the vengeance RAM. I'm feeling very certain that's its to do with some kind of voltage related issue. I'm still leaning towards bad capacitors. capacitors work like batteries they can store a charge of predetermined amount for later use or to fire off something like a hard drive for example. If one was bad and not holding its charge or taking a charge who knows what effect it could have. I'm not pretending to be an electrical engineer or anything but that's my theory.

as for the 5 starts/Eggs I think a lot of the folks writing there reviews do it when they first get the board, and haven't really experienced it yet. they are still excited and not aware of how things are going to work out for them. I was actually waiting to write my review where I bought my board until after I figured out what the problem was. but it's not looking like something that's going to get figured out. so I'm going to write it based on what I have experienced so far. I will say I'm happy to hear that justin's board seems to be working well for him, and I'm very interested to see how things go for amunaor. when I bought my board there were maybe 4 reviews in total that i was able to find and they were 5's. at the time I remember thinking I should wait till there are more but I felt ok about it because it was Intel. I won't be making that mistake again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Cheese, I like your idea about the caps. It makes sense.

Going back to the EVGA double boot issue for a minute. I was able to fix that by hooking the PC to an APC battery backup. Then when I turned the PC off the power supply was still on. I am guessing that the power supply was still supplying some voltage to something. If I shut down and turned off the power supply switch or unplugged the PC from the line voltage, I would again get the double boot.

Now back to the caps in the DX58SO2. If these caps are in whatever circuit the trickle voltage from the power supply is keeping alive and if the caps are bad, it would follow that the voltage would drain off. It would follow that if the first part of the BIOS checks to see if certain things are present, like a CPU or Memory or maybe some voltage somewhere, and finds that one of these is missing, then the board reboots. Maybe after rebooting, some voltage is still held in the caps or the caps were only partially charged, but not enough to tell the Bios all is well. The the Bios gets confused and just sort of hangs. The lites are on and the fans spin. But, other functions (like continue the Boot cycle) stops. I don't know. Just a theory. Some techy who is a lot smarter than I am will have to figure this one out.

I got this board based on reviews and the great luck I had years ago with a D975BX2 board. That board was stable as a rock! It kept going and going without a hicup until a fan header shorted out (note to self.... Do not move the Bios jumper without glasses on. The Bios header and fan header can look a lot alike!).

I am torn between RMA and hoping my logic above is faulty and that there might be a simple Bios fix.

Just the start a list of what does and does not have this 00 Boot issue, here is my setup (nothing is overclocked).

MB DX58SO2

CPU I7 960

Memory 3x2gb Corsair Dominator 1600 Mhz or 3x2gb Corsair Vengeance 2000 Mhz

Boot Drive Intel 510 on Marvel SATA3 port

Other Drives (all on Intel SATA2 ports)

2 x OCX Vertex SATA2 120GB (non raid)

2 x WD Raptors SATA2 300GB (non raid)

1 Ancient Samsung something or another SATA 300GB

1 LG DVD drive

Raid Card Areca ARC-1210 4 x WD RE4 500Gb Raid 0

OS Win7 Ultimate SP1 (SP1 was one of the 84 patches when I reload Win7 for this new board)

The whole thing is backed up nightly to a HP Home Server.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Ooops, forgot one thing.... Power Supply PC Power & Colling 750watt.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi jdlsvs,

I was looking over Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility, debating on wether to install it, not to overclock, but to get a different perspective on the issue at hand. I never did like previous versions of this Utility because it was known to wreak havoc upon peoples systems.

Within the ReadMe notes, I came across this:

Note: It is recommended to disable Sleep state functions in BIOS  

before you use the Autotune feature to prevent the system going

into a non-responsive condition during the auto tuning process.

Was wondering if maybe you might have missed this? Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have a DX58SO2 with 2 SSD drives (3Gbs) and the "B" diagnostic LED (HardDrive Activity) and the "G" LED (Processor Initialization)) LEDS blink forever.

The system runs and as far as I can tell everything works. I have no idea why. Anyone else??

I have another system W same MB and a different brand SSD but no LED blinking ob that one.

Anyone else?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Amunaor, Do you know can you use the Extreme tunning utility and the Intel IDCC at the same or would I have to un-Install IDCC , I beeen wanting to give the ETU a try but I like IDCC cause it's been working good for me ??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bob,

Intel States that the Extreme Tuning Utility is only valid with the DX58OG,DX58SO2 and DP67BG products. Desktop Control Center is for a different product line. But who knows, might work..

Bgolden, thanks for posting your spec's.

It would be nice if all it took was a BIOS fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

I have a older Ver. I got from ASUS writen for Intel X-48 chipset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

ASUS Ver. # V2014316

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Bob ----

Intel Desktop Utility (Monitor Only):

This version (3.1.3) of Intel(R) Desktop Utilities includes:

- Support for newer Intel(R) Desktop Boards.

- Some minor software bug fixes.

Intel(R) Desktop Utilities is only qualified to run on Intel Desktop Boards

with specific Intel(R) chipsets. In addition, the specific heatsink/fan

combination must have been qualified for the Intel Desktop Board (check your

board's installation instructions).

ISSUE-6 –- Intel Desktop Utilities has operation and response issues if run

===== at the same time as other monitoring software (such as the CPU-Z*

program from CPUID*).

STATUS – Will not be fixed. Please use the workaround below.

WORKAROUND – Intel Desktop Utilities is not intended to be run at the same

time as other system monitoring software....

(*NOTE: I don't know if this is meant to exclude the simultaneous operation with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility though. I do know that the Desktop Utility (monitor) runs in the back-ground and if you want to launch CPU-Z, RealTemp, or other such utility, you'll probably need to uninstall the Intel Utility first, if not, it could wreak havoc with Intel's readings later, forcing an uninstall-reinstall of the utility to set it right again.)

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18934/eng/IDU_3.1.3.030_Readme.txt http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18934/eng/IDU_3.1.3.030_Readme.txt

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility:

For the following Intel motherboards:

- Intel(R) Desktop Board DP67BG

- Intel(R) Desktop Board DX58SO2

- Intel(R) Desktop Board DX58OG

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19683/eng/XTU_2.1_Readme.txt http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19683/eng/XTU_2.1_Readme.txt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Bgolden,

Last night I mucked around in the BIOS with Intel's Turbo-Boost, EIST and C-States; thinking that maybe a flaky signaling event here was perhaps tripping things up; I blindly started disabling, enabling various combinations in hopes of some grand discovery.

I began by disabling Turbo-Boost along with EIST & C-States, Items that dynamically adjust the number of active CPU power phases depending on the load. Rebooted and checked my CPU Temps; noted increase in Temp levels across all 6 cores, which is understandable.

Did complete power-down to cold for 10 minutes; turned PSU back on, booted with NO hang. When login screen appeared, I manually put computer into S3 sleep. After a few minutes, shook mouse, login screen appeared as it should.

Power-down to cold for 30 minutes; returned power to MB via PSU switch; hit front-panel on button and there it was again, this time the 'Double Pump' hang at "00" that continued through POST without my intervention. Other 30 minute cool downs would boot normally!?

I continued this madness without any success in eliminating the "00" gremlin. It retains the same sporadic and unpredictable nature in how it appears.

Still I am suspicious that the triggering mechanism lurks within this Intel Power Saving circuitry more than in leaky caps; a sensitive power-on signaling issue between power-supply and motherboard, which could be related to Intel's EIST and C-States; perhaps not feeling comfortable with a particular component combo: RAM, PSU, Video Card. Whether or not such a signaling fluke is BIOS fixable is another question. I hope so!

I too have had previous Intel boards that were rock solid, from initial build; sunup to sundown, ran for a long time without a hiccup. This one has turned into a day and nightmare.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

I wasn't refering to the Utilities , I was talking about The Intel Desktop control center, you know the one where you can change Ram specs Multiplyer's Voltages to Nortbridge CPU and RAM , It's Almost the same thing as the EXU. Just a different Ver. made foe the DX48BT2 and the DX38BT.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I remember the one, they had a version for the D875PBZ, it was pretty flaky and difficult to uninstall. Yes the current incarnation of that previous Tuner is the EXU. Other than that, can't help you much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

0 Kudos