Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Help with DX58SO2 Motherboard Troubles

I recently purchased a DX58SO2 motherboard and I,m having boot issues. the problem is very specific and reproducible . It occurs in two different situations.

Situation 1:

The computer is turned off for a period of 2 hours or more. (I'll call that a cold start) when the power button is pressed the motherboard powers on

runs for 2 seconds then powers off for 1 second ,then powers on again with no boot, all fans running and a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button

once and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. the computer seems to run very stable afterward with no other problems.

Situation 2:

The computer goes into hibernate state and sits that way for 2 or more hours, I click the mouse and the board powers on but hangs with all fans running and

a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button (sometimes up to 3 times in this scenario) and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. also I would like to note that any application/s that were running at the time the computer went into its hibernate state were returned to the same

states they were in upon windows resuming, with no stability issues noticed.

This doesn't seem to be a simple turn the computer off and it won't boot back up problem. its time sensitive in some way.

My System Spec's:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO2 (ofcourse) BIO's Updated using Express BIOS Update SOX5820J.86A.0765 and set to default

Processor: Intel i7 960

Ram: 6GB Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 Vengeance PC12800 DDR3 RAM 3x 2048mb triple channel (listed as CORE i7 on the box it comes in)

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 460 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 (one card only, not running SLI at this time)

Hard Drive: Seagate ST3320418AS Barracuda Hard Drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3G 16MB cache (pluged into SATA port0)

DVD: Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner (pluged into SATA port5)

PSU: Corsair TX950W Power Supply

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

Steps I've taken to try and resoulve this issue:

1. Unpluged SATA hard drive and DVD from motherboard and attempted boot.

2. Removed RAM and ran each stick indiviualy

3. From the BIO's I turned down the voltage on my RAM it was running by default at 1.5125v I turned it Down to 1.5v (per tech support suggestion)

this of course is the only change I have now made to the default BIO's settings.

None of these steps had any effect or helped in any way, the problem persists. I'd like to add that this was a painfull touble shooting session as I had to wait about two hours inbetween tests after successfull boots. to make sure I was reproducing the problem if it was going to occur again after a change.

It has been suggested to me by Tech support that I do not have compatible RAM . I was very supprized to hear this since the DX58SO2 supports the RAM type I purchased, but it turns out that my i7 960 CPU does not infact if you look at the specs none of the 15 Intel Processors listed as compatible with the DX58SO2 are spec'ed out for RAM over 1066mhz. I'm told that the Ram is handled by the CPU now and not the motherboard and that the the BIO's is forcing my 1600mhz ram to run at 1067mhz, which it is. it was suggested that this is the reason that my DX58SO2 is experiencing this boot issue and that if I continued to use this 1600Mhz RAM that I would probably start to experience other unpredicable side effects. I'm not particularly interested in over clocking, I chose the DX58SO2 because it seemed to have alot of potential for me to upgrade my system over time.

I'm was'nt realy So I'm biting the bullet and I have orderd 6GB of 1066mhz

297 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

The Ver. I have been using (4.2.0.769 ) has been working fine ,I have used it to overclock my sys ( DX48BT2, Xeon X3380 , 8GB DDR3-1333-10600, two HD5770 GPUs , Intel 160GBssd Boot drive two WD RE3 1TB each, Seasonic 80Plus gold 850 watt PSU .Cousair H-70 CPU Cooler. I mean I've got the hard ware , I wanted to give the Extreme Tuning Utility , a go to see if I could get any better results than I can get with Intel's IDCC.???, I also use the IDCC on my other SYS , Basicly same except CPU is a QX9650 , and a 750 watt coursair PSU . The Extreme Tuning Utility I have came from ASUS writen by Intel for the X48 chipset boards. I downloaded it a while ago just never tried it , and wanted to Know for sure do I have to un-Install the IDCC first . or can they run side by side ?? Just a side note the ASUS ETU Ver# is V2914316. It was made by intel for ASUS X48 Sys.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Only one way to know for sure Bob.

let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Personally, I don't think the two versions would live comfortably side by side; the installer may not even allow the installation to go forward with the other version present. You've got me hung at "00" on that one Robert!

Give it a shot and get back with us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Well I'll Give a try But I have go to Pittsburg tomarrow so I'll let you know Wed. I think I'll un-install the IDCC first just to be on the safe side . Got to take my sister's son Back to collage tomarrow. So I'll let you know , See Ya signing off for tonight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

This may be a fluke. But, last night I was poking around in the Bios and made only one change. I changed the Primary Video Adaptor to Auto rather than the PCIe I had previosly set. I fired up the system tonight (off for about 22 hours) and waited to have to hit the reset button. Darn thing posted normally. That is the first time since I owned this board that it started by just hitting the power button.

Like I said, this may (probably) be a fluke. I'll find out in the morning and report back.

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Bob,

I've been there, done that, tried both Auto and selecting the actual video slot. Unfortunately, for me, eventually the lurking "00" hang showed up in either setting. Tried both settings via DisplayPort and or DVI connection........same thing.

GPU: Nvidia Quadro FX-1800 Revision A1 (60 Watts) via DisplayPort

Monitor: HP LP2475w -- Firmware: GIG 072 -- Native Resolution: 1920x1200 @ 60Hz

My full system specs are on page 4 of this thread.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Rats! I thought (hoped) I might have stumbled on a magic bullet.

This morning when I hit the power button, same old thing hangs with the "00".

I keep looking.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

I Tried last night No go , It has to be a ASUS Board to install, Even though it writen by Intel ASUS Most have added something so it will only work on there boards . Oh Well it was worth a try .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

bgolden,

Installed new Corsair PSU AX850 yesterday afternoon. Nice quiet, rock solid unit, no squealing or whining, like some have reported, so far. But, sorry to say, as for the sporadic and unpredictable Double Pump hang at code "00", or Double Post hang at code "00" as AUS fans are reporting here:

ASUS P8P67 series Double POST at Cold Boot -- http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265454 http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265454

The gremlin is still with us and lurking.

Do a search on: Cold boot hang at 00....... it's everywhere!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

amunaor,

Only 162,200 hits using +Cold +boot +hang +at +00 as search criteria. (However, some of these might be "adult"" sites, I didn't look that closely)

I would still like to see a build list from someone who has a rock stable system with a DX58SO2 that boots right and can run 1600+ memory at the memory rated specs.

I suppose I could go the RMA route and keep RMAing until I get a board that works as expected. But, I am not sure that such a board exists.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Did you happen to try the Fix described for the ASUS board,?? I read it and I'm pretty sure those same settings are available in the DX58SO2 BIOS, maybe not in that exact order. Also I have been looking hard for a new motherboard again as you may know. I've have been seeing some reports here and there from different manufactures Intel,EVGE,ASUS and Gigabyte having some form of issue with the 00 boot. But, as I read around here and there about it the causes never seem to be the same. Or at least the fixes never seem to be the same. some boards have very few reports while others seem to have many. another thing, DBL posting and Hanging with no post at all, as we are reporting here, are two totally different things. I am giving serous thought to buying another DX58SO2 and using only specified RAM. meaning RAM from the tested list, instead of RAM that meets the spec's. I wished I'd had more time to test the last board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I still think that it's somehow related to Intel's new Dynamic Power Saving features; EIST, C-State, C1 etc. which are tied to the CPU's Turbo-Boost and Microsoft's Power Option control panel; which, in our case, one of these features in not comfortably coexisting with some component, or improperly implemented. This POWER saving strategy is new and replaces the old BIOS - ASPM "Active State Power Management" where one was able select sleep state S3 – S4 – S5, within the BIOS, and then coordinate how the selection operated. Apparently this "Double Pump" hang weaves its way back through Vista, which I refused to install; I jumped from XP Pro into Windows 7 Ultimate.

C. S., I think that you've already, sufficiently, demonstrated that it's NOT a RAM issue. Anyway, any one of these CPU/RAM module combinations should boot and live comfortably at the default SPD setting.

The fix described for the ASUS board seems to be referring to settings within UEFI, a graphical user interface that's supposed to, eventually, replace the BIOS. The UEFI feature on this board only allows for creating a boot drive lager than 2 TB. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've already tinkered with Intel's Turbo-Boost and Dynamic Power Saving features. Even though I suspect a sensitive signaling issue as the culprit, triggering the on/off cycle in the PSU, for lack of deeper knowledge here, I was unsuccessful in ferreting out any significant clues.

The other 'FIX' mentioned at ASUS link, Bgolden & I have already tried switching the PCI-E graphics slot to AUTO or discrete, had no impact on the issue. As suggested, I even booted into the OS, followed by a soft-shut-down, much later, still the "00" hang remains.

I've dumped the Nvidia drivers for my GPU, rebooted, reinstalled drivers anew, without any impact on the situation. I may need to attempt this process again, because the uninstall process seems to leave Nvidia driver residue within the Registry.

BTW, Intel has released a new Chipset INF for this board -- File name: INF_allOS_9.2.0.1030.exe:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3262&DwnldID=19642&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3262&DwnldID=19642&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

which I promptly installed, only to discover that it had no impact on the situation at hand.

Doubling checking the updates, from the INF.exe package, I extracted the components into a folder, then from within Device Manager (View by Connection), for each Intel component I then confirmed through Driver Update, by pointing back to the contents extracted folder, making sure that everything had been, in fact, updated. The only item I found not to be was the SMbus, which I then updated. Still the persistently, sporadic, unpredictable "00" hang remains.

Hopefully, a new BIOS offering will follow this Chipset instruction set.

I'm still trying to find out why the newly offered LAN driver: LAN driver version 16.2, following its installation, continues to report back as: version 16.1 from within "Gigabit Network Connection Properties", under tab: Link Speed. Since the LAN utilizes the PCI bus, could an errant process here cause the boot issues we've been seeing? So many variable possibilities!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

amunaor,

I bow to your persistance! Now, if Intel would pay attention...... One would think that a thread of 148 posts might perhaps indicate concern over an issue.

I also loaded the INF_allOS_9.2.0.1030.exe chipset drivers, with the same result as you found. I used the -overall switch to overwrite everything.

Sort of a side question... Could you look in your Task Manager and see if a lot of the Processes have a *32 after them? I wonder if this means that these are all 32 bit processes?

Have a good day/evening,

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I just checked my task manager and 26 of them are running with a *32 by them. As of this date my system is till running without the "00". I haven't had one for over a week now and I shut my computer off every night and start it cold in the morning. The "00" cashes I was having when I first assembled the system will probably come back at some time in the future. I'm sure they are just lurking. I'm convinced that it was physically moving the computer that stopped it, which means that something that was loose or cracked on the board mush have jiggled together.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Bob,

I've got 9x *32bit processes showing in the Task Manager.

I think we were all rooked when we purchased 64bit operating systems to run on 64bit hardware. Considering 64bit platforms have existed ever since Windows XP, one would think that 64bit maturity would have been complete by now, not stuck at before puberty. I suppose Philanthropist, MS Bill, will require we purchase Windows 8, or maybe even 9 to complete that maturity.

Received my RMA authorization from Corsair today, finally, to replace my Vengeance RAM modules. I guess it'll be two - three weeks before I get replacements, so I'm working with my old Dominator 6GB sticks at Default 1066MHz, until replacements arrive.

How about your LAN update from PROWin7_64_v16.1 to PROWWin7_64_v16.2, in Network Connection Properties, under: Link Speed tab does it appear as v16.2, or the previous v16.1?

I'm a little confused why my installation continues to show the previous v16.1.

ToxicWolf,

Good to hear your box of electrons has settled down. Move the box around and get back to us...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Boy did I speak too soon. It's dead as a door nail. The only thing that happens is that the fans come on full spead and the OO is displayed. I've tried everything I can think of to bring it up. I'm going to let it cool down good and try again, but I think the lurking problem has reached its end.

It's time to get a new board. That's the only possible answer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

amunaor,

I checked the Network Connection Properties on mine. I also have the 16.2 version and the Link Speed tab shows v16.1.53.0. I even reloaded the PROWin7_64_V16.2 to make doubly sure. Maybe Intel is rounding up.

I've been swapping memory back and forth. I have the Vengeance 2000+ 6gb kit (baby brother to yours) and an 2 year old set on Dominator 1600. I cannot run the Vengeance with any parameter set off of the Auto value (8,8,8,24). The auto values run the memory at 1066Mhz. Even increasing the parameters to 10,10,10,27 and leaving the multipliers alone causes a crash at reboot. I drop in the old Dominator and pick the XMP profile (8,8,8,24) and it fires right up at 1600Mhz. Either set gives me the "00" hang issue. I am suspecting either I also have a bad set of Vengeance ram or the Vengeance is not all it is supposed to be or the DX58SO2 is just haunted.

I did notice one thing with the memory though. I do mainly database work. I have a macro that runs 120+ queries back to back on 9 joined databases each containing 1 to 9 million records. The first and last steps in the Macro is a time stamp that prints begin/end times automatically. Both sets of memory are within a few seconds of each other. This tells me that my bottleneck is not with the memory. But, rather with some other part of the system. I suspect the disk I/O (Intel 510 for OS and Dedicated raid card Areca 1210 with 4 WD RE4 drives in Raid0). So, I sort of doubt that even if I could get the Vengeance to run at the advertised 2000 Mhz, it would make a lot of difference.

Bottom line is that I use this system for work. Naturally I want speed. But, I need it to be rock stable. The "00" boot is annoying and indicates to my simple mind that something is not right. That "not right" is something that at some point might just bite me in the hind end. I really like this board. For some reason, I am getting better CPU % usage and a bit faster processing with my I7 960 than I did with my previous board. But, the "not right" haunts me!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Ewww ToxicWolf,

To be politically correct..... That inhales badly!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I am really afraid that this may be the end point for people with the "00" lock. Mine has gone through a lot of stages, even working perfectly for over a week before it died for the last time. I think that functioning correctly for so long is what finally caused the total failure. I half expected this since it started working. I feared that I would not know what was really wrong until it got to total failure. As long as it worked sometimes, I couldn't be sure. Before it died completely it did the basic come on, shut off, start again fans start to blast. I shut it off and it never did the shut off and come on again. All it does now is blast the fans and show the 00 until I turn off the power.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

ToxicWolf,

On cold starts, mine seldom starts again by itself. I mean, it hangs with the "00" and then shuts down and the starts again with the fans at high speed. At that point, I have to hit the reset or power button and it shuts down and boot normally. I assume that reset did nothing for you? Are you going the RMA route or just cut your losses?

0 Kudos