Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Help with DX58SO2 Motherboard Troubles

I recently purchased a DX58SO2 motherboard and I,m having boot issues. the problem is very specific and reproducible . It occurs in two different situations.

Situation 1:

The computer is turned off for a period of 2 hours or more. (I'll call that a cold start) when the power button is pressed the motherboard powers on

runs for 2 seconds then powers off for 1 second ,then powers on again with no boot, all fans running and a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button

once and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. the computer seems to run very stable afterward with no other problems.

Situation 2:

The computer goes into hibernate state and sits that way for 2 or more hours, I click the mouse and the board powers on but hangs with all fans running and

a 00 on the LED. I then press the Reset button (sometimes up to 3 times in this scenario) and the board powers off for one second and powers on again and then boots. also I would like to note that any application/s that were running at the time the computer went into its hibernate state were returned to the same

states they were in upon windows resuming, with no stability issues noticed.

This doesn't seem to be a simple turn the computer off and it won't boot back up problem. its time sensitive in some way.

My System Spec's:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO2 (ofcourse) BIO's Updated using Express BIOS Update SOX5820J.86A.0765 and set to default

Processor: Intel i7 960

Ram: 6GB Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 Vengeance PC12800 DDR3 RAM 3x 2048mb triple channel (listed as CORE i7 on the box it comes in)

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 460 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 (one card only, not running SLI at this time)

Hard Drive: Seagate ST3320418AS Barracuda Hard Drive 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3G 16MB cache (pluged into SATA port0)

DVD: Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner (pluged into SATA port5)

PSU: Corsair TX950W Power Supply

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

Steps I've taken to try and resoulve this issue:

1. Unpluged SATA hard drive and DVD from motherboard and attempted boot.

2. Removed RAM and ran each stick indiviualy

3. From the BIO's I turned down the voltage on my RAM it was running by default at 1.5125v I turned it Down to 1.5v (per tech support suggestion)

this of course is the only change I have now made to the default BIO's settings.

None of these steps had any effect or helped in any way, the problem persists. I'd like to add that this was a painfull touble shooting session as I had to wait about two hours inbetween tests after successfull boots. to make sure I was reproducing the problem if it was going to occur again after a change.

It has been suggested to me by Tech support that I do not have compatible RAM . I was very supprized to hear this since the DX58SO2 supports the RAM type I purchased, but it turns out that my i7 960 CPU does not infact if you look at the specs none of the 15 Intel Processors listed as compatible with the DX58SO2 are spec'ed out for RAM over 1066mhz. I'm told that the Ram is handled by the CPU now and not the motherboard and that the the BIO's is forcing my 1600mhz ram to run at 1067mhz, which it is. it was suggested that this is the reason that my DX58SO2 is experiencing this boot issue and that if I continued to use this 1600Mhz RAM that I would probably start to experience other unpredicable side effects. I'm not particularly interested in over clocking, I chose the DX58SO2 because it seemed to have alot of potential for me to upgrade my system over time.

I'm was'nt realy So I'm biting the bullet and I have orderd 6GB of 1066mhz

297 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Yes, I tried the reset but it doesn't even reset now unless I hold the power button down for 5 seconds to turn off the system. And yes, I have arranged with newegg for a new DX58SO2 to be delivered. I think this will answer the question once and for all. Before it gets here I will run some more tests (no sleep for me tonight). I'm going to pull the board and put it on the work table with nothing but the cpu and ram and two power cables attached to see what happens when I hit the boot switch. Then I'll try it without the ram and then without the ram and cpu. I'm sure that pulling the ram and cpu will have no effect because the "00" I get is the first thing that lights up and there is not even one blink of the bank of test LEDs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

This is hard to believe, but it's a bios problem. I had not made any changes to the bios or the system when this happened, but as one of my tests before I pulled the board, I reset the bios jumper and started the system with it in configure mode, it took me in. I hit F9 to set everything to default, exited with save and moved the jumper back to normal. The system started without a problem. I don't know what's going on with the bios on this board, but it's up to something. Or, it could just be that the system was down and unplugged for an hour. I really wish I knew.

I hit the power button and the system started with fans at full speed and locked on 00. I turned off the system, turned off the power supply and unplugged it from the wall. That's when I reset the jumper. It was only seconds from the failure to the system set to configure let me in. I would suggest that anyone that wants to try this, just reset the jumper, do an f9 and get the system back up and running. I would love to know if that has any effect on other people with the "00" disaster.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Toxic, It's probably still a good idea to RMA the board. seems like a symptom of a larger problem. Bgolden I'm with you I really liked my board too, but I didn't feel comfortable with the idea that it might just not start someday or that it might crap out on me in the middle of a day long render. not to mention possibly loosing he working files. I do back up but most times only to the hard drive and then every few days to disk.

amunaor,

I did the same as you I avoided Vista like the plague and this is my first time with win7 64bit I was all win XP pro before that I used Both 32 and 64 bit but I found some of my applications in 64 bit to be a tad bit flaky. I think 64 bit will come around though, for the CG arts community it has great value.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Swiss,

I'm definately going to change out the board anyway. I don't know what the problem is or what the definitive fix is, but trying another board is about the only thing I can come up with at this point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

well you are the second person here that I know of that is try this, and Justin said it worked out for him. if it works out for you and the others here then I'm going for it again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor I

Wolf You know i've been continplating doing a I7 build ,But with all the problems I see you guys get I think I am going wait until Intel gets these bugs out Before I take the leap. . Right now my DX48BT2 & my Xeon will do just fine for now , No headakes at all. I am sorry about the problems you are having I Hope you get them worked out , I realy don't think weather it's Intel or ASUS or Gigabyte .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I think you are probably right. Although, I have no idea when or if all the bugs will be out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

This late in the life cycle, I doubt if much attention will be paid to the X58 platform. We probably will just have to wait for the X79 chipset this fall.

Reguarding moving the jumper and setting the Bios to defaults. Well, this morning it booted fine. No hang what so ever. I went ahead and moved the jumper and did the F9 default thing. Again, it rebooted fine. I left the PC off for about 4 hours this evening and it booted with no hang. This thing is like chasing smoke, you know it there, you can see it, but you cannot get your hands on it. We'll see what it does in about 7 hours.

I did try swapping memory again today. I could not get the Vengeance 2000Mhz to budge one bit. 1066 is all it does. So, I put the dominator back in.

Here is what the parameters look like (XMP profile):

It is running just fine at the Proposed (XMP) values. Although, I usually drop the Memory Voltage to 1.625.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

While I'm waiting for the new board, I thought I would try 24G of Corsair Vengeance 2000Mhz. I plugged it in and started the computer. This is what came up without me making any manual changes to the bios. I still have a lot of questions, but I think I've learned this much about using this board and an i7 processor: your ram will never be 100% stable unless it is set to the i7 "comfortable" settings, which the ones below are for the 990x. The Vengeance has two XMP settings and both of them crash the system for me (one sets the voltage to 1.50 and the other 1.6). I'm only using the Vengeance because it has really tall heat sinks on it and it will stay nice and cool no matter how long a render may take. There is really no other reason to pay for ram above 1333Mhz.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I tend to agree about wasting money with more expensive, supposedly higher performance memory. Usually, Cosrair is quite good, as demonstrated by my Dominator memory working as advertised.

My board booted up just fine again this morning. Waiting for it to hang "00" is like waiting for the other shoe to drop. We just know it will happen, just don't know when.

Regarding the booting and hang "00".... One thing I noticed was that when it would hang "00", I would press the start button and get a single beep from the board with the fans and light etc going. Then it would shut down and try to restart and then hang "00". On the last three boots, which were successful, there were two beeps. I wonder what the second beep is recognizing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Well, the hang "00" reprieve lasted almost 2 days. I shut down late this afternoon. Five hours later I started my system again. Fans and light on, then off, then fans full blast...."00".... you know the drill. The only thing that changed from boot this morning to boot tonight was 4 automatic Microsoft Office updates and a Security Essentials definition update when I shut down this afternoon. I had not touched the Bios nor made any hardware changes.

One new wrinkle though...

1. One beep at the start. No second beep. The board just powered down and restarted and hung "00".

2. Pressed the power button to shut down and restart, I got 4 beeps (manual says "Thermal Trip Warning"...huh, been off for 5 hours).

3. Pressed power button again. 3 beeps (Memory Error).

4. Pressed the power button again. This time it went thru the normal screen in the boot process and the displayed the message about a Bios error and press "Y" to go into Bious setup of "N" to try to boot with old settings (paraphrased).

5. Pressed "N" and the board continued to boot normally.

ToxicWolf,

When do you epect your replacement board? I would like to see if it makes a difference. Did you have to pay for the replacement and Newegg will credit you when your old board is returned? I really don't want to be down for a couple week while UPS runs back and forth across the country.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I just bought a second board. I'm going to use it to build a new computer for my wife if I don't need it in this one. I figured I would swap it out with the one I have now and use my old one to build hers. (ssshhh we won't tell her about that) It will be interesting if my computer works and hers inherits the evil "00".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I think I'll just go the Intel support route tomorrow and see if I can RMA this board. I would go thru Newegg, but if they had a bad batch, I'm not sure if I would just get another bad board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I still have not purchased a new board I'm waiting to see how all your RMA'ed boards workout, to see if the new ones work. I read that they are no longer making this board But I don't know if that's true or not the information wasn't in the Intel site.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Regarding the Intel RMA route. I did that this afternoon and here is what to expect. I am not saying the process is bad, it is just long. Get comfortable, you are going to be on the phone for an hour (after you get a live person).

Before you call you will need the following at come point in the call:

Part# for the board

AA# for the board (from the original box)

SN# for the board

CPU# ei: I7 960

Who's memory (ei: Corsair), speed, and part# for your memory (if you don'e have the memory part# , don't worry, you can get it later when you remove the memory

After you explain the cold boot hand "00" issue, you will be asked to turn the computer off if it is running and strip it. The only thing they want connected inside the box is the CPU and Power Supply (I assume keyboard and mouse were ok, I didn't ask)

Then turn the machine on. You should get 3 long beeps pause and repeating. The turn the power off.

Then insert the video card and one stick of memory. Then turn the machine on. Listen for beeps (should be none). Power down again.

Then hook up the rest of your memory. Then turn the machine on. Listen for beeps (should be none). Power down again.

Then hook up the optical drive. Then turn the machine on. Listen for beeps (should be none). Power down again.

Then hook up one hard drive (preferably boot drive). Then turn the machine on. It should boot to the desktop. Power down again.

Then they will ask you to hook up one additional drive (if you have one). Then turn the machine on. It should boot to the desktop. Power down again.

Then they will ask you to hook up another additional drive (if you have one), with the intention of repeating the above step. When I told them that I had 4 more drives they asked it they could put me on hold for a minute and when they came back on the line, they had me hook up all of them at once. Then turn the machine on. It should boot to the desktop. Power down again.

Then, I my case, I have a Areca raid card with 4 drives. The asked me to go ahead and hook it up. Then turn the machine on. It should boot to the desktop. Power down again.

Then they will suggest that the problem might be the power supply and ask if you have an extra laying around (I didn't). The suggestion is that the PSU might be over loaded. I explained that I have the system hooked up to a APC Battery Backup and one of the utilities APC has is a graph that shows the power drawn by the entire system. I my case, I have never seen over 385 watts total draw for the system including 2 x 22" flat panels and a backup server. My PSU is a PC Power & Cooling 750 so I doubted that it was overloaded.

At this point you will be told that the issue could be the mother board, which Intel will replace if you desire, or the PSU or the memory. I was told that the DX58SO2 would only handle up to 1067 Mhz memory. I explained that the documentation specified that it would also handle 1333,1600+, and higher with compatible XMP memory. I also noted that this memory had been in a different vendor's X58 Mother Board for 2 years without memory issues. I also, noted that most of, if not all, the memory listed on the Intel website was obsolete. I was given no clue as to specific brands or models of memory which would work. I have a set (3 x 2GB Corsiar Dominator 1600 Mhz) that works, except for the cold boot hand "00" issue.

If you elect to have the Mother Board replaced, they will check to verify that it is under waranty. Then all they need is your email addreess, your address to ship to, and your phone# . You will be given a RMA# (must be written on the outside of the box which you will be returning your old Mother Board in). You will receive an email confirmation of the RMA (print this and enclose in the box with your old board). They do NOT want you to return any cables or accessories that came with your original board. However, they do want to make sure you still have the plastic cap that covers the CPU socket.

That is about it. You do not have to ship your original board first. You do not have to give them a credit card# . Just say thank you and have a nice day!

Like I said, it takes about an hour and the support# is NOT toll free. The online chat might be a better option if you do not have unlimited minutes. The lady I spoke with, was pleasant and spoke very good English and was either knowlegable or was following the script very well.

Just wanted to give you folks a heads up as to what to expect., if you go the Intel RMA route. I didn't mind the time or checking things I had already checked. I just want my system to work as advertised.

--------------------------------------------

A couple of additional items/changes to the above.

In reading the RMA email from Intel, it appears I need to send them the original board before they will release the replacement board. This makes sense, but was not what I understood. Probably a mis-communication on my part.

Second, when I tried to contact Intel via chat, I hit a page that said "Intel does not support this product via email." I know others have stated that they used chat to contact Intel regarding this board. But, all I know is what I see.

Message was edited by: bgolden0101

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello all,

Just been reading some of your posts here and it seems you people were luckier than I was with my DX58SO2 board. My first board never reached 00 and was stuck at 16right from the start. After calling Intel five times and was disconnected on three of the calls and three hours later they pronounced the board DOA. I choose to sent it back to the dealer and now have a board that reaches 00. I can only hope after installing Raid 1 and windows 7 pro that I do not get the same results as some of you are having. Maybe these board manufacturers should have a two tier pricing system. One for a untested board and one that they test before shipping. I for one would gladly pay $20 or $30 not to waste my time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Life is short so I elected to cut my losses rather than try for a replacement. An RMA outcome is always bad! The consumer shouldn't have to bear the burden of poor quality control, and certainly not the pain of bad customer support. Given the number of posts I had half expected an Intel guy to chime in and put us at ease but looks like we won't be getting that.

All efforts to induce failure by overclocking/stress testing have failed, so looks like I'm stuck with the thing. A small consolation is that it overclocks well. Anyone else have better luck with the '00' problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

bgolden: Nice post. I plan to follow your outline of testing prior to calling Intel. Would love to hear what happens when you install the new motherboard.

Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Bgolden I'm also very interested in how things go for you. I found Intel tech support to be ok, they made an effort and offered to replace mine as well.

evwrt, I half expected to hear something from Intel in this thread also, because of the number of views and posted reply's clearly something needs fixing.

If there was a revision 2 of this board or something along those lines I would be interested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Bgolden,

I noticed that you are using Raid. I set up Raid in bios and then set up Raid 1 with two one TB drives but I only got 930.5 GBs and Dx58so2 took 69.5GBs away and Intel techs do not know why. When setting up yours did you lose this much HD space?

0 Kudos