Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAtki1
Beginner

Hey All, I have a DX79SI. During post it hangs for about 60 seconds on the intel screen, showing 58 in the post80 screen. Anyone have an idea why it has started doing this? Thanks...

Jump to solution

I have done a cmos reset, and reset the bios to default settings with no change.

My bios ver is: SIX7910J.86A.0460.2012.0327.1627

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Just don't try to jump all the way to the latest. Since Intel has only sparsely provided BIOS releases for download, I suggest you download all of them (494 through 594) and work your way through them using the F7 installation method. That is,

1. Download all of these releases (.BIO files 0494, 0515, 0525, 0537, 0553, 0559, 0590 and 0594 and put them on a USB flash drive.
  2. Start system.
  3. When BIOS POST splash screen appears, press F7.
  4. In dialog displayed, select the USB flash drive and then file SI0494P.BIO.
  5. Progress dialog will appear onscreen. When the install completes the system will reboot.
  6. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 for each of the other .BIO files.
  7. After last .BIO file installs and splash screen appears, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  8. Use F9 (followed by Y) to set BIOS Configuration to defaults.
  9. Use F10 (followed by Y) to save this BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  10. When splash screen appears, use F2 to again enter BIOS Setup.
  11. Make any changes (Boot Order, etc.) to the BIOS Configuration that your hardware layout requires.
  12. Use F10 (followed by Y) to save this BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  13. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

15 Replies
n_scott_pearson

You are on BIOS 460 (from 2012) and the latest is BIOS 650 (from 2014). A lot can happen in two years and that many BIOS updates! Upgrade your BIOS and then check this issue again.

Hope this helps (it should),

...S

JAtki1
Beginner

Hey Scott,

I was hoping to avoid that, as it is so butt clenchingly scary. I mean the post under mine was about a bios update fail lol. But you are right, it has to be done, just to see if it helps. I'll let you know if it fixes it. Thanks mate.

n_scott_pearson

Just don't try to jump all the way to the latest. Since Intel has only sparsely provided BIOS releases for download, I suggest you download all of them (494 through 594) and work your way through them using the F7 installation method. That is,

1. Download all of these releases (.BIO files 0494, 0515, 0525, 0537, 0553, 0559, 0590 and 0594 and put them on a USB flash drive.
  2. Start system.
  3. When BIOS POST splash screen appears, press F7.
  4. In dialog displayed, select the USB flash drive and then file SI0494P.BIO.
  5. Progress dialog will appear onscreen. When the install completes the system will reboot.
  6. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 for each of the other .BIO files.
  7. After last .BIO file installs and splash screen appears, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  8. Use F9 (followed by Y) to set BIOS Configuration to defaults.
  9. Use F10 (followed by Y) to save this BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  10. When splash screen appears, use F2 to again enter BIOS Setup.
  11. Make any changes (Boot Order, etc.) to the BIOS Configuration that your hardware layout requires.
  12. Use F10 (followed by Y) to save this BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  13. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

JAtki1
Beginner

Thank you Scott, that is perfect. I've been super busy, I hope to get this done tomorrow... I will follow your instructions to the letter. Thank you so much for taking the time mate, you have no idea how much it is appreciated.... You are an absolute legend....

JAtki1
Beginner

Scott, I have two other questions about this motherboard/cpu I would like to ask if that's ok.....

n_scott_pearson

You didn't include any questions...

JAtki1
Beginner

Hey Scott, thanks for the reply mate.... No I didn't, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't annoying you primarily, and also a lot of tech forum sites have rules about not changing topic mid post... My questions are

1. I have overclocked this board (with a 3930k) using the intel bios 1.00 strap method to 4.4GHz. (I'm not an expert, but that is the best overclocking experience I have had....Thank you wizards at intel for that... I have a 2600k o/c'd to 4.4 and a ten year old amd system that runs 3.5 for reference)... When I'm running 4.4GHz, hw monitor shows 1.45v and above..... Is that ok for that chip?.... I thought it was a little high from my research.

Also, I know the answer to this already I think...... but the vrm temps are not happy. I stopped the last stability test with vrm's at 90c(The cpu is awesome at rock solid 70c). This board/cpu has sat in a cupboard for 5 years....... I have to replace the thermal paste on the n/sbridges don't I.......

2 The 1.25 strap auto overclock is tempting...... but does overclocking the front side bus, mem etc result in a tangible speed increase you would even notice if you use the pc for web browsing/you tube. That's what my mate is going to use this pc for...........

Thanks again for your time mate......

n_scott_pearson

According to what I see in the datasheet for the i7-3930K (326196-003, Feb. 2014, Volume 1, Table 7-8, Page 50), the maximum Vcc voltage is 1.4V. In the BIOS, the multipliers support up to 1.920V, so values beyond 1.4V are possible and not necessarily bad. I am the wrong person to be asking about this, however; I do not overclock and have paid little attention to related issues.

Forget the old North/South Bridge concepts; essentially, most of the old North Bridge feature set has been absorbed into the processor and a few features, plus everything in the South Bridge, has been incorporated into the PCH component. There is no Front Side Bus any longer, per se; it has essentially been absorbed into the processor. It is the DMI bus that connects the processor to the PCH.

It's true that, over time, there could be issues with the cooling solutions on the VRM and PCH components You could see drying out occurring. I would be careful trying to replace the paste on the VRM components. BTW, my notes have Tcontrol temperature for VRM set at 80c and Tcontrol temperature for Patsburg PCH way up at 104c.

...S

JAtki1
Beginner

Thank you for the much needed education Scott, That info is actually perfect.... Exactly what I was wanting to know.

As for you being the wrong person to ask lol.... I have been a member of overclockers.com and tom's hardware for a couple of years, and have gotten help from some very talented people in that time. You are clearly another level above those folks... Your technical understanding and knowledge on intel stuff is amazing. Thank you again so much for the help mate...

n_scott_pearson

Thanks. Over 35 years in the industry and 21 years with Intel will do that. I was part of Intel's Desktop Boards organization practically from its inception through its demise (sigh!) and was part of the core group that transitioned to the development of the NUC and Compute Stick products thereafter. I retired in 2015, but help out here to "stay in the game".

...S

JAtki1
Beginner

Just wanted to let you know the bios updates went without a hitch.... and fixed the problem. I pulled the heatsinks and replaced the thermal paste ( The vrms had a thermal pad.... I just put a tiny bit of paste in each divot to remove any air).... Temps are just above 70c under full load at 4.4ghz. Thanks again Scott, you're a genius mate....

JAtki1
Beginner

I also would like to punch the executive in his stupid face who decided to end intel motherboards.... An awesome intel cpu/motherboard combo is an intel fan boys dream. Thanks for your work Scott.... Like I said, best o/cing experience I've had with that dx79si board.... Maybe you should come out of retirement.... Apparently intel is gonna make a GPU......

VKHAN1
Beginner

you can update this bios of your brother board website or visit https://vitinhkhanhlinh.com to how abour thí problem

n_scott_pearson

FIRST OF ALL, THAT LINKED SITE IS PROBABLY A SCAM OF SOME SORT. DON'T CLICK ON LINKS TO EXTERNAL SITES POSTED LIKE THIS!!!

Secondly, I recommend that you *never*, *ever* use any of the driver update sites. Their driver "packages" and tools are chock full of viruses, trojans and other forms of malware. Go to only the site for your manufacturer.

...S

JAtki1
Beginner

Thanks Scott. He might be a nice bloke wanting to help, but probably not. I was never clicking on that link.... It seemed sus for multiple reasons... The main one being YOU have already resolved the problem lol.....