Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi! I have a MB DH87MC with 2 Kingston kvr13n9s6/2 modules (2GB 1Rx 16 256M x 64-Bit PC3-10600 CL9 240-PIN DIMM) inserted in blue slots and I would like to know if it's possible to to use 2 more modules of 4GB each in black slots. Thanks.

Jump to solution

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

When you have two DIMMs, you get the best performance by putting them in different channels. This is why you had your 2GB DIMMs in the blue slots. When you have four DIMMs, on the other hand, you must put the DIMMs with the same specs in the two DIMM slots for the same channel.

On your motherboard, starting with the DIMM slot closest to the processor, the DIMM slots are labelled DIMM 3, DIMM 1, DIMM 4 and DIMM 2.

• DIMM 3 is black and represents Channel A DIMM 0.
  • DIMM 1 is blue and represents Channel A DIMM 1.
  • DIMM 4 is black and represents Channel B DIMM 0.
  • DIMM 2 is blue and represents Channel B DIMM 1.

So, what you want to do is:

1. Place the 4GB DIMMs in the Channel A slots. This is slots DIMM 3 and DIMM 1, the two slots closest to the processor.
  2. Place the 2GB DIMMs in the Channel B slots. This is slots DIMM 4 and DIMM 2, the two slots farthest from the processor.

Is that clear enough?

...S

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Yes. But, I would rather see you have the two 4gb sticks in the blue slots, and the two 2gb sticks in the black slots.

Actually, I would like to see you have four 4gb sticks, all the same speed and timing, in the four slots.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
Highlighted

You must put the 4GB DIMMs in one memory channel and the 2GB DIMMs in the other memory channel. That is, put the 4GB DIMMs in DIMM 1 (Channel A DIMM 0) and DIMM 3 (Channel A DIMM 1) and put the 2GB DIMMs in DIMM 2 (Channel B DIMM 0) and DIMM4 (Channel B DIMM 1).

I will say that Al is correct; the system will perform better if all DIMMs are identical (same speed and timing) to each other.

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks, but my budget is short, so I know it would be great having all slots with same memory. But do you think even with 2 x 2Gb and 2 x 4 GB will performe better than what I have at the moment?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

What OS are you running? And, is it 32-bit or 64=bit?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Win 7 - 64bit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Yes, it will improve performance. But, do not expect anything exponential.

Doc

Highlighted
Beginner

I didn't get. Could you be more specific?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Ok. But if I do that it will be different from what I got n.scott.pearson told me to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

When you have two DIMMs, you get the best performance by putting them in different channels. This is why you had your 2GB DIMMs in the blue slots. When you have four DIMMs, on the other hand, you must put the DIMMs with the same specs in the two DIMM slots for the same channel.

On your motherboard, starting with the DIMM slot closest to the processor, the DIMM slots are labelled DIMM 3, DIMM 1, DIMM 4 and DIMM 2.

• DIMM 3 is black and represents Channel A DIMM 0.
  • DIMM 1 is blue and represents Channel A DIMM 1.
  • DIMM 4 is black and represents Channel B DIMM 0.
  • DIMM 2 is blue and represents Channel B DIMM 1.

So, what you want to do is:

1. Place the 4GB DIMMs in the Channel A slots. This is slots DIMM 3 and DIMM 1, the two slots closest to the processor.
  2. Place the 2GB DIMMs in the Channel B slots. This is slots DIMM 4 and DIMM 2, the two slots farthest from the processor.

Is that clear enough?

...S

View solution in original post