Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

How To Make DZ87KLT-75K Fully Compatible With Haswell Refresh e.g. (Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon)

I figured out how to make the DZ87KLT-75K fully compatible with Haswell refresh, in this post i confirm with a Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon runs perfectly on the motherboard, short story is i had an i7-4770K initialy and happend to be in a position that allowed me access to the i7-4790K brand new boxed since i got it to work its now my main CPU in the DZ87KLT-75K

Before the steps as we all know the Haswell refresh CPUs are detected correctly in any 8series board by Intel, so what causes them not to function correctly is the Intel Management Engine (Intel ME), intel decided not to update the ME while updating BIOS, so the trick is just to update the Intel ME to aversion that come around same time as the Haswell refresh.

Steps

Assuming you have downloaded all the correct required files

1. I installed Core i7-4790K

2. Switched on PC booted into windows

3. I then followed steps to install

http://www.mediafire.com/download/q3jn4j035e4y9yx/ME9.0_MEManuf_v9.0.22.1467.rar http://www.mediafire.com/download/mehvhkpy5w76fc8/Intel_ME_Firmware_v9.0.31.1487_%281.5MB%29.rar Intel ME 9.0 Consumer 1.5MB Firmware v9.0.31.1487

using this tool

http://www.mediafire.com/download/67307yxok558s30/ME9.0_FWUpdate_v9.0.22.1467.rar Intel FWUpdate Tool for ME 9.0 Firmware v9.0.22.1467

I used the win tool in windows not dos

Everything went well shut down the PC then powered on again and all was well, restarted several times, even tinkerd with memory settings saved several times, run a stability test for 8 hour and all was ok

Intel ME files are found on this website along with all the necessary tools and instructions

http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

35 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Update* the board still functions correctly even with the latest BIOS 0457

I updated using the BIO file and recovery, then after it was successful booted into windows and installed the updated version Intel ME manually with the steps on the above post.

Proof

Highlighted
Beginner

thanks stephenb.b.r

shows how easy it would be for Intel to offer support, and how ridiculous it is of them not to...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I highly don't recommend this update. If this version firmware of MEI isn't in BIOS, it is due to some reasons.

If your PC appears stable, it doesn't mean that is really stable or compatible with your board or BIOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Don't worry the Intel ME is compatible with the board, is functioning correctly its more stable even with higher memory frequency.

What happened is Intel boxed us out on knowingly but it's as easy as updating the ME, what i don't recommend is going above 9.0 xxx to 9.1 xxx version read the website it has all useful info

Plus I'm not employed by Intel but i would gladly take a job from Intel and revive the desktop board department for Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I too do not recommend that folks do this!!!

The BIOS has no support for this processor. What this means is:

1. If any special initialization is required by the processor, the BIOS is not performing it.
  2. Every processor has errata (read: bugs) in its microcode. One of the things that the BIOS does during initialization is load a microcode update that provides fixes for all known errata. Because this board's BIOS does not have support this processor, it has no microcode updates to install for it. Net result, these errata are present and operations that the processor is performing could fail randomly.

It is only a matter of time before one of these errata hits you, potentially with catastrophic results. You are lucky to have gotten as far as you have. You could see a failure at any time.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Thank yo and thank you all for this info, but i highly doubt it, been one week now still going strong in fact I've been running all tasks i used to run ad all is well several stress tests here and there and still works and is stable, using memory i couldn't push to 2133 or 2400 with the previous me and CPU running stable at 2133 1.5V

So i hope nothing bad happens and i have a feeling it wont happen, Intel just better admit and release a BIOS with official support for all though for me I'm fine and ok as mine works accordingly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Followed instructions and WOW, no more manual power cycle during reboots--thank you "stephenb.b.r"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

This is a really neat thread! I've studied coreboot (an alternative BIOS) a bit which sort of leads me to believe that this solution is actually perfectly acceptable. CPU microcodes, while in the BIOS, are often applied later during the OS boot process, for instance, Windows recieves Intel microcode updates, so in terms of errata, your OS ought to cover that. When looking at coreboot for Intel processors there are two very crucial bits of code you need to get the processor going: Intel ME and the Memory Reference Code. I believe the memory initialization code is chipset dependent--seeing as the chipset is the physical hardware on the motherboard, this code probably doesn't need modification So, from a sort of high-level view of BIOS, this seems very satisifactory in terms of compatbility.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

CONFIRMED! Appreciated...so cool!!!! And a bit uncool from Intel to act in this fashion.

My story (brief): A SUCCESS

- Intel DZ87KLT-75K - unknown BIOS from production upgrade from previous Intel C2Q Q6600 on a Win 8.1 64bit install

- Not starting at all with i5 4690 Haswell Refresh

- Flashed with a borrowed Celeron G1849 to 0457 BIOS (latest to date) via F2 => F7 method through BIOS

- The so called "incompatible" processor runs/boots etc.. Some issues: yes, as described.

- Power issues (no shut down, restart etc.) were present.Could be usable with it, however.

- This BIOS has IME FW version 9.020.xxxx

- *you missed to mention only that BEFORE using the Intel ME flasher you need to install latest IME drivers https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/70898/Intel-Desktop-Board-DZ87KLT-75K Downloads for Intel® Desktop Board DZ87KLT-75K for Windows to be able to operate with all Flasher tools linked. (otherwise Info tool and Flasher give errors and will not operate).

- Everything else run as described. Flash under Command prompt with the Win64 tools. (suggest you copy the FW file in one dir for full convenience) Total like 15 mis of work if you do it first time with all checks that can be spared.

=> Bottom line: JUST WORKS PERFECT (so far) all power management issues seem to be in control. Windows shuts down/restarts autonomously.

Good night!

VF

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So this thread got me to actually try this out with a different board. I can verify that this procedure also works with a DQ87PG board using an i7-4970S processor. I suspect it would work with any 8-series board really.

As a side note, the DQ87PG needs the 5Mb ME firmware to operate. I am not sure I was really having issues before upgrading the ME--didn't really test that. But the moral of the story is that the larger ME firmware for Q87 chipsets and such also seems to work just fine!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I just wanted to say that this also worked for me using a DZ87KLT-75K + 4790K. You are the man stephenb. Thanks for your efforts in sharing this with us. I love this board, and you probably just gave me another 1-2 years of use out of it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Thank you all for the feedback and useful information that will help many users, I would gladly take the helm at Intel to head the New Desktop Board team if they ever want to get back in to the business

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing your comments.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi guys, this is a great post, I was really worried I wasn't going to be able to use my board with the 4790 I just bought. I had the DZ87KLT laying around from a build I did a few years ago but ended up using a different board. I decided to pick up a 4790 to use the board I already had but hadn't used. I had no idea that intel wasn't supporting their own processors and I probably would have gone with a new processor/board combo had I known. Anyway now I'm stuck with a brand new 4790 that won't boot. I'm guessing the bios on my board is just too old for it to work at all. Does anyone know if you can update the bios without a compatible processor installed? Using that recovery bios feature maybe? Or do I need to pull the 4770 out of my other build to do it? Also at the time of writing this intel's download site is down, can any of you send me the version of the bios you're using?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hey

As you my have guessed maybe the BIOS in the board currently does not support Haswell Refresh, so try just as you have mentioned that you could use a 4770 that to update the BIOS first, in actual sense now that you have the 4770 run the BIOS update and the steps detailed in this post then install the 4790 and it will work.

I don't know of any method to update any retail Intel desktop board without a CPU present, only method that can work without the CPU present is by physically replacing the BIOS ROM Chip with an updated version, luckily you don't need to do any of that. The initial revision of the DZ87KLT-75K which was sent to reviewers featured a removable BIOS ROM chip, but on the retail version Intel soldered it permanently.

Download Page Working

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/70898/Intel-Desktop-Board-DZ87KLT-75K https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/70898/Intel-Desktop-Board-DZ87KLT-75K

Just Install the 4770

Follow Steps and update the BIOS run the ME procedure detailed above

Install 4790

Enjoy using your machine

The DZ87KLT-75K is actually a very good board still rocking mine with the Intel Core i7-4790K.

If you ever feel like getting rid of the DZ87KLT-75K for one reason or the other, send it to me please it will have a very good home here.

Regards

Stephen B.R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the info and getting back to me so quickly! I'm still getting an error when I actually click download for the bios

"

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference # 97.e8af4543.1448692631.37bc68aa"

I've been getting these errors from the intel download site all night.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Sorry about that its true there is an error didn't click download initially

Here you go a mediafire link for the most recent BIOS its the KL0457.BIO

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2m8488i1qj9pd4w/KL0457.BIO http://www.mediafire.com/download/2m8488i1qj9pd4w/KL0457.BIO

Its a .BIO use the F7 method to update, within the BIOS option or recovery. The Install the ME i linked above and you should be good to go with the Intel Core i7-4790

Follow the steps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks! I was able to download it! I'll try updating in the morning

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So I put the 4770 in and updated the bios and everything seemed to work fine, then I put the 4790 back in and its getting stuck at 00x01 now instead of 00x00... any ideas?

0 Kudos