Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhick4
Beginner

How can I stop the Intel Integrator Toolkit BIOS Installer from auto rebooting during bios update process?

Jump to solution

Hi!

I am in a situation where I need to be able to prevent the Intel Integrator Toolkit bios installer from auto rebooting. I am running the bios update tool within an SCCM image deployment. The bios update tool auto reboots and breaks the rest of the deployment process, preventing other scripts from running. I'd like to not auto reboot, then reboot the machine after my other scripts run.

I tried some switches and options to prevent the auto reboot, but I cannot find any proper documentation on the options and switches for the installer.

We are updating the DQ77MK Intel Desktop board on Windows 8.1 x64, and we are using the Windows installer file version. (not PE or DOS)

Thanks for any help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The short answer is that you can't. The reboot is an integral part of the secured BIOS installation process. Nothing can run between the BIOS being placed in memory and the reboot taking place. Your choices are to run the BIOS update as the last step in the customization process or craft the customization script so that it can continue across reboots. If you are running the update process from a separate flash stick using DOS, this is fairly easy to do. Just have a particular step in the overall process create a file on the flash stick to indicate that the step was completed and then have the script check for this file existing and skip forward to the appropriate place in the overall sequence. This is a standard state machine process if you have any experience with them. If you would like some help doing this, just let me know via private email. I am retired from Intel but still willing to help...

...Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The short answer is that you can't. The reboot is an integral part of the secured BIOS installation process. Nothing can run between the BIOS being placed in memory and the reboot taking place. Your choices are to run the BIOS update as the last step in the customization process or craft the customization script so that it can continue across reboots. If you are running the update process from a separate flash stick using DOS, this is fairly easy to do. Just have a particular step in the overall process create a file on the flash stick to indicate that the step was completed and then have the script check for this file existing and skip forward to the appropriate place in the overall sequence. This is a standard state machine process if you have any experience with them. If you would like some help doing this, just let me know via private email. I am retired from Intel but still willing to help...

...Scott

View solution in original post

jhick4
Beginner

Thank you, Scott.

We managed to let it work by just rebooting, updating the bios, then re-imaging the machine again. So essentially our image process breaks during the bios reboot, but then we image it a second time fully. An unfortunate work-around. But thank you for the very helpful information. You at least saved me some time from trying to find a way around the forced reboot.

Thanks again!