Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

How can you fix a hard drive that has disappeared from desktop

This really doesn't have anything to do with Intel I guess but I figured this communities probably pretty educated about the subject but I had got a all in one computer 2 years ago I have a solid state hard drive that's my C drive and then I had AD drive that was for my data and my dad I drive started coming on and off like it would be there one day when I started my computer and then the next day it wasn't there and it would go off and on off and on well it eventually just never came back why do you think that would be I kinda feeling maybe it came disconnected or something in the back like it had a loose wire but I contacted asus the manufacture of my all in one computer and they want me to send it in I just don't have time to send my computer off to get repaired and there gonna charge me a whole bunch I'm pretty sure but what do you think that would be is not failure I doubt it's a hard drive failure is still worked when it would show up ​

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

You are correct - this has nothing to do with Intel. And, this forum is for Intel Desktop Boards.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Sadly, the answer is there is nothing you can do; it sounds like this HDD is dying (or has died). I hope you have a backup of the important files that you had on it; sounds like you are gonna need it.

Sorry, reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

See if it's visible first in Windows Disk management (the application opens when you choose Create and Format Hard disk partitions, found through Win10 search).

good disks and partitions are visible in there as 'Healthy' but it could indicate otherwise or simply not be there at all.

Next, have a look in your PC BIOS on boot-up. There's usually a bootup-disk menu somewhere in BIOS which displays all the devices it can see connected. If it's visible in that list then it's at least partially alive. You can often see the manufacturer of the device in that list too. If it's not in that list at all then perhaps it's the port on the Mobo it's connected to. You could, if it's a desktop, connect the drive to a different port (if it's an M.2 or U.2 type you may not have another port to puit it in though). Hoping it's a SATA connection, there is probably an alternate motherboard SATA pin to which you can connect the data-cable to to see if it shows on that port instead. But, this is really unlikely to be the problem by the way... I never saw a SATA motherboard individual header fail before.

If it doesn't appear in any of those then Yes I expect the drive itself is dead.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you very much for your reply the guy above said I was in the wrong place I didn't really know where to post this I just know I the INTEL OCTANE MEMORY on my installed on my computer i thought this might be a good place to ask since ive asked alot of places... OK so I never really cared so much about hard drive tech talk until this was happening to me I just started learning about all these things but yeah I would go to disk management (scan it ,,,it would show healthy ..i even did repair scans all that ..while it would show up) and then sometimes in the BIOS it would be in there and then when I restart my computer my hard drive would be there but also sometimes my hard drive it go missing it go missing in the bios and in other words thing was in my bios they used to be like 4 empty slots or something like that where the hard drive was and now there's no empty slot... I'm just a little added information might add something to this but I got my computer in 2018 I have a solid state drive for my C drive and then I had like a regular SATA hard drive as my data drive inside my all in one computer then I upgraded to Windows 10 and couple weeks later whenever my computer would go to sleep it seems like my hard drive would go to sleep because that's when he would disappear so then I turned off the sleeping mode and my hard drive would just show up when it wanted...no weird sounds nothing just sometimes it be perfectly normal working like always and then some days he just wouldn't show up... I've opened up my computer to see if maybe it was a connection by really don't know what the connection would look like so I didn't wanna mess up my computer and considering the fact that all in one... everything's in there pretty tight. but should I just like give up on thinking that it's just a loose wire..and just figure someday ill have to get it repaired ... I'm using it outside external hard drive for now which is perfectly fine but I did like than neatness of it being all in my computer so I might get it repaired someday and just put a huge hard drive in there but if it's just a wire I would love to just connect it back

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Yea, this forum is for the support of Intel's Desktop Board products. It is not a general-purpose forum where you can ask about problems you have related to desktop PCs. At the same time, this issue has nothing to do with Optane Memory either, so that forum wouldn't be right either.

Mr. Rawl's advice is sound (though you can get to the Disk Management app a lot quicker by right-clicking on the Windows Start button and selecting it from the list). You want to see if the device has been corrupted, is failing or has failed and that's where you do that.

...S

0 Kudos