Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GWade4
Beginner

How do I get out of Crisis Recovery Initiated (error 31 on Intel Extreme Board DZ77GA-70K)

I bought this board used. Worked fine in the system I bought it in. I then transferred all of the parts into a new case, with the only component not in the original system being the gpu, although this gpu has been tested and works. I don’t feel like I damaged anything while building, but now when I boot the entire system turns on, LEDs and all, as well as keyboard and mouse LEDs, but absolutely no display. The number LED in the bottom right of the board says 31. After some research, I found this to be “initiated crisis recovery”. What is this and how do I fix it? Please help me I’m confused and don’t want to let my friend down (this is for a friends birthday gift). Thank you

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If you put the "old" graphics card back in and the problem is alleviated, then this means that the "new" graphics card is incompatible with the motherboard and its current BIOS.

The first step in addressing this is ensuring that you have latest BIOS installed.

Just in case - and since I am going to be on the road for a couple of days and unable to provide this then - I have attached the latest BIOS to this post. Intel had removed them from their website, but I kept a backup.

In order to install this BIOS, you need to use the BIOS Recovery process. For information on the BIOS Update process, consult Intel Desktop Boards BIOS Update Instructions and, for this case, Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

To help you better, here are my step-by-step instructions for BIOS Recovery. Do this with the "old" graphics card installed.

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, make sure that you have the .BIO file from the attached ZIP file.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your USB flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive; do not just yank it out. Choose Eject from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged into; you will need this information later.
  11. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue or yellow USB 3.0 port. Do not use any front panel USB ports.
  12. Power on the system.
  13. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  14. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  15. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so.
  16. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  17. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  18. Power on the board.
  19. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  20. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  21. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  22. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  23. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  24. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  25. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  26. Test.

Once you are running on the latest BIOS, if you then install the "new" board and the same issue occurs, then the compatibility problem will have to be considered permanent (in this case, all I can say is sorry to have put you through this process for nothing).

Hope this helps,

...S

GWade4
Beginner

So, before I go through with that, I have a question. When I first did get this pc, I had taken out the 560 Ti it had come with (which had worked), and put it my 1060, which then booted and worked as well. Everything seemed fine. Now, I have tried putting in a 980, didn’t work. Then a 1050 Ti, didn’t work. Then again the original 560 Ti, didn’t work. But it did work before with the 560 Ti and the newer 1060, which leads me to believe that the BIOS should have been fine to have been compatible with the 1060 before the build. I’m just an absolute amateur and know nothing about this though, so I want to hear your more skilled opinion.

also, I only have a 64gb flash drive that is 2.0, will that work?

n_scott_pearson

Hhmmm, if you put a working card back in and this issue still occurs, then something else has happened.

Try this: Completely disconnect the machine from A/C power. Remove the video card. Remove the CR2032 (1" diameter) battery from the board for minimum 15 minutes. Then, reseat (i.e. remove and then reinstall) the memory DIMMs. Restore the battery to the board and reconnect power. Power up. If no errors show up in LEDs, then power off, install one of the graphics cards and power on again. Hopefully this does it.

As long as the format utility will still let you format the flash drive using the FAT32 file system, then you should be ok. If FAT32 isn't offered as an option, then the flash drive is too big. Frankly, I always talk about using 32GB or smaller flash drives because the reformatting of larger drives with the Quick Format disabled takes a long time (sometimes hours).

That's it for me for the night. I will be back online for a few minutes in the morning and will check if you have responded by then.

...S

GWade4
Beginner

Ok. So, I haven’t fixed it, but I’ve definitely made progress. After you made your comment, I realized I had left out the little plastic and metal connector that goes on 2 of the 3 pins that has to do with the battery (I’m not sure what I’m talking about). When I did that, it moved past error code 31, and with time slowly moved to different error codes. It went to EB, then to E9, then C6, then to 00, and nows its on 30. The manual tells me 30 is “Resuming from SX states”. Although it’s been on for a while and it still hasn’t shown any display. Also I’ve been using the new graphics card. I have yet to remove the battery because I thought the problem was just the little connector. Although that seemed to fix some problems, others have arised, and I’m not sure what to do here. Also thank you for all your help so far

GWade4
Beginner

correction: I’ve been using the old gpu. The 560 Ti it came with.

GWade4
Beginner

Also, I can the the monitor is detecting at least the presence of it being plugged in. When ever I had unplugged the display port cable to try something new, the monitor had flashed “will enter power save mode in 5 minutes because no display port”, or something along those lines. So it seems to be sending something to the monitor, just a blank screen.

GWade4
Beginner

After some more research I found the SX State to be a system sleeping state, and that means it is “resuming from system sleeping state 3”. Also, I don’t think it’s a wattage issue as pcpartpicker tells me the recommended wattage of this system is 370w, and it’s a 600w power supply. I’m not sure how to get it out of sleeping state.

n_scott_pearson

If it went to POST Code 00, then it was trying to boot from the attached media. What are you seeing on the monitor? Do you have an O/S installed on a drive? If not, it is time to install the O/S.

...S

GWade4
Beginner

Hey, sorry I didn’t see the last answer. But, here is the case. I plugged in a hdmi cable to the mobo and it completely booted off of the integrated graphics. So, I know it has been passing POST, and I was able to go onto windows, do everything well. Although, when I try to plug it into the gpu, there is no signal. The monitor just says “No DP signal from your device” when plugged into gpu. I’m not sure why the gpu isn’t able to send a signal to the monitor, but I don’t think it’s a gpu problem because it’s not working on 3 different gpus that do work otherwise. I also tried the second PCIEx 16 slot and the gpu turned on like normal, but no signal going to monitor. It seems like the pcie slot is providing power, but for some reason its unable to get a signal from the gpu.

GWade4
Beginner

I’m trying to update the bios, running it off the mobo, and it brought me here to the Bios Flash Update. It says BIOS Version 0066 - 05/21/2013. I’m not sure if that’s the manufacture date or if I’m really running a bios from 2013. It then has a list of partitions, but I’m not sure what to do from here. I will try to look online but in case you respond before I figure it out I’m listening.