Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SCant2
Beginner

How many PCIe NVMe m.2 slots is there on the HM370 chipset, and how many PCIe lanes each slots have. I want to run a Raid 0 config on the HM370 Chipset If there are 2 PCIe NVMe m.2 slots with 4 lanes each Thanks !

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Using PCIe lanes exposed by the chipset - and depending upon what other features are supported by the chipset - you can typically support two M.2 NVMe slots.

Regarding the use of RAID 0 across two M.2 NVMe SSDs, we need to look at the buses involved. The DMI 3.0 bus that forms the link between the processor and the PCH is capable of transferring 3.93GB/s. The problem is that a PCIe x4 link is also capable of transferring 3.93GB/s. At the same time, the bandwidth of the DMI bus is supporting the other features of the chipset - 6 SATA lanes, LAN, 6 USB 3.0 lanes, etc. Bottom line, there is absolutely no way that two PCH-based PCIe x4 links can obtain the transfer rate necessary to take real advantage of a RAID0 configuration. I thus see little value for using RAID0 (well, other than as a way to make two drives look like one big drive).

Hope this helps,

...S

SCant2
Beginner

My M.2 NVMe SSDs can't write/read at 3.93GB/s. The bottleneck is the SSDs itself, not the bus transfer speed. So by using a RAID0 configuration, i will be able to fully enjoy the 3.93GB/s bandwidth available.

I was just wondering if on the HM370 Chipset, all PCIe NVMe m.2 slots has 4 lanes, or how many lanes thay have

S.

Seba23456
Beginner

Hi I have only one m.2 slot on my notebook Intel® HM370 and hp support told me that is truth?
I think I have missed part
AlHill
Super User

One thread is enough.  Stay with your other thread:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Desktop-Boards/Intel-HM370-how-many-m-2-slots/m-p/1243904#M5517...

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)