Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NRoss2
Beginner

How to access the bios on D510mo with USB keyboard ?

Hi guys! I have this motherboard working with Windows XP. It works fine but when I try to access the BIOS during boot it doesn't see the USB keyboard. I don't have a PS2 keyboard to try with. I already tried all USB ports but nothing changed. I also tried keeping pressed the power button for a few seconds.

Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Are you sure that the keyboard is not working? If you watch the LEDs on the keyboard, do they flash (once) during BIOS POST (i.e. before the Windows boot splash screen appears)? If they do, the keyboard is being detected and initialized and keystrokes should be accepted.

How are you attempting to enter BIOS Setup? Are you pressing and holding the F2 key? This won't work. After powering on the system, immediately (i.e. don't wait for BIOS to display anything on the screen), begin pressing (and releasing) the F2 key, approximately once per second, until Setup appears (or Windows starts to boot, indicating keystrokes were not accepted).

Hope this helps,

...S

NRoss2
Beginner

Hi Scott. yes I am sure. The caps-lock and num-lock lights starts working after Windows boots. I checked it. I tried everything to access the BIOS: holding F2, pressing and releasing F2 key.. and so on. By the way, this keyborad does not have Function Keys so F2 is only F2.

n_scott_pearson

Re: "this keyborad does not have Function Keys so F2 is only F2" - Huh?

NRoss2
Beginner

I mean it doesn't have Function Keys like vol up and down, brightness...

I found some posts where the problem was related to the default behaviour of the key (Function Key instead of F2). This is not my case.

n_scott_pearson

Hhmmm, I can only guess that, somehow, the BIOS is not configured to support Legacy USB and thus is only looking for the PS2 keyboard. One thing to try is (a) power off system, (b) move the BIOS Configuration jumper from the 1-2 (normal) position to the 2-3 (maintenance) position and (c) power on system. This should automatically start up BIOS setup (in Maintenance Mode). Try this and see if the keyboard is (then) working and will allow you to make your BIOS Setup changes.

NRoss2
Beginner

Hi Scott. Finally I found a PS2 keyboard to get into the BIOS. However I will try moving the BIOS Configuration jumper to understand if it could solve the issue.

n_scott_pearson

Test with the PS2 keyboard first. If it works and you can get into BIOS Setup, make sure that Legacy USB is enabled. If it wasn't enabled, verify it works after enabling. If it was already enabled, you can then try moving the maintenance jumer and getting in that way with USB keyboard...

...S

NRoss2
Beginner

I tried with the PS2 keyboard and it worked !!! Legacy USB is enabled but it doesn't work with usb keyboards. I have to try moving the jumper.