Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jan
Beginner

How to activate S/PDIF Out port on MB?

I am trying to install an Audio Alchemy DDP 1 to Windows 7 64 Pro.

It is a USB DAC aka an external sound card (and more)

i tried and failed to get the USB driver installed to Windows 7

Now I've been advised to connect via the S/PDIF port on my Intel Motherboard DZ87KLT-75K

So i connected the two via an appropriate optical cable.

Now what?

In doing some reading it appears i might have to connect it to my graphics card. Really?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Note the following:

1. The S/PDIF connector on the Kinsley (DZ87KLT-75K) board is a digital output from the board's Realtek ALC898 HD Audio CODEC.
  2. Similarly, the S/PDIF output on this Alchemy box should be a digital output from its internal CODEC.
  3. The S/PDIF connector on the graphics card, if present, is a digital input for the audio stream that is to be output to connected HDMI or DisplayPort monitors. In the early days of HDMI and DisplayPort monitors, this was the only way to insert audio into the output stream. Nowadays, graphics cards have their own HD Audio solution and can generate their own audio output stream. In most cases, if this internal capability is supported, the S/PDIF input connector is not provided.

Regardless of anything else, you are going to have to resolve why you cannot get the USB driver for the Alchemy box installed and running. Beyond that, the question becomes what do you want to do with the audio output from this Alchemy box?

Please describe your other hardware. That is, do you have an add-in graphics card plugged into the Kinsley board or are you using the processor's Intel HD Graphics? What are you then using to connect the monitor to your system? Is it, for example, HDMI? If so, does the cable go directly to the monitor or is is routed through a HT Receiver or Sound Bar? If there is no HDMI-based HT Receiver or Sound Bar, is there a separate audio Receiver or similar that will be used to output audio?

Where the conversation goes from here depends upon your answers...

...S

Jan
Beginner

Note the following:

1. The S/PDIF connector on the Kinsley (DZ87KLT-75K) board is a digital output from the board's Realtek ALC898 HD Audio CODEC.
  2. Similarly, the S/PDIF output on this Alchemy box should be a digital output from its internal CODEC.
  3. The S/PDIF connector on the graphics card, if present, is a digital input for the audio stream that is to be output to connected HDMI or DisplayPort monitors. In the early days of HDMI and DisplayPort monitors, this was the only way to insert audio into the output stream. Nowadays, graphics cards have their own HD Audio solution and can generate their own audio output stream. In most cases, if this internal capability is supported, the S/PDIF input connector is not provided.

Regardless of anything else, you are going to have to resolve why you cannot get the USB driver for the Alchemy box installed and running. Beyond that, the question becomes what do you want to do with the audio output from this Alchemy box?

Please describe your other hardware. That is, do you have an add-in graphics card plugged into the Kinsley board or are you using the processor's Intel HD Graphics? What are you then using to connect the monitor to your system? Is it, for example, HDMI? If so, does the cable go directly to the monitor or is is routed through a HT Receiver or Sound Bar? If there is no HDMI-based HT Receiver or Sound Bar, is there a separate audio Receiver or similar that will be used to output audio?

Where the conversation goes from here depends upon your answers...

...S

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) I connected a TOSLINK cable between. SPDIF port on the Motherboard and on the Audio Alchemy DAC. There was no sound.

2) I hired a computer technician

3) He enabled two items on the BIOS. One was the SPDIF port. I fortunately, I do not know the other parameter that was enabled.

4) This did not solve the problem of producing sound.

5) He decided the NVIDIA graphics card was stealing priority.

6) He removed the NVIDIA graphics card. The monitor was diverted to the HDMI port on the motherboard.

7) He updated Control Panel Windows 7

8) I now have Audio

I abandoned my attempts to install the USB driver for the Audio Alchemy when I learned that audio via USB was suvject to the noise caused by being in a computer, that the audio via SPDIF was much quieter, therefore superior.

My computer is a fairly ordinary non-proprietary desktop with Intel motherboard DZ87KLT-75K, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit Version, NVIDIA graphics Card and HDMI connected monitor. Windows is installed on its own SSD. All data files are on a RAID array.

The computer's Sound System was previously connected via an internal sound card, ASUS Xonar Essence STX. RCA interconnects stretched between the ASUS sound card and a Musical Fidelity A3cr Preamp. Also part of the system was a separate Adcom power amp and a pair of Spendor S3/5 speakers. This was not reliable due to some issues with the power supply (?) hence a desire for another sound card, this time in the form of an external DAC. The same audio system is now working reliability, though now connected by an optical cable instead of RCA cables.