Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JX6
New Contributor II

How to active "Secure Boot" with 7 series boards

First of all: this explanation should be released by Intel CS or Engineers, not me.

Guys,

This article is only for Intel 7 series mother board, users of other series please ignore it.

Before reading, please confirm that you want to use an add-in video card (NV or ATI) and you have a monitor with 2 input ports (2 monitors are perfect), otherwise please pass it by.

O.K, now let me show you how to active both " Secure Boot " in Windows 8.

My system configuration:

DH77DF (Bios 0102),

Nvidia Quadro 2000D,

EIZO S1961 with VGA & DVI input ports.

Step 1.

Upgrade your MB bios to the newest version.

Step 2.

Connect both your add-in video card and IGP to your monitor. (This procedure is the point)

Step 3.

Config IGP settings in Visual Bios mode as below.

Step 4.

Config "Secure Boot" in Legacy Bios mode.

When all finished press "F10" and confirm "Y" to reboot

When this logo appeard during booting windows, it means our settings work.

Step5.

You can see 2 video cards in system, they both work.

Install or not install IGP driver does not matter, I installed it.

IGP occupies about 70M ram, but I do not care, I have 8 Gigabytes

You can switch between them. If you do not know which one you are using, check " Advanced Settings "

Finally, press "Win" + "R", type "msinfo32.exe" to check " Secure Boot " status

This method exists an inconvenience which is made by Intel:

Because IGP (DVI port) is set to Primary in Bios, so every time I power on my PC,

the windows log screen is always black screen if Quadro 2000D is set to "Show desktop on only on 2".

I have to press a button on monitor to switch to Quadro 2000 (VGA port) manually.

Now, everything is OK.

if you select all "Optimizations" like me, Congratulations, You have the fastest Windows 8 booting speed in an Intel Board.

Special thanks to Community Member :snervt, I made this inspired by his test.

Now I am tired and need a cop of coffee, try it if you want to your Windows 8 runs perfectly

Mayuyu~~~

39 Replies
JX6
New Contributor II

According to other members' quote and explaination, it seems not intel's fault, just the video cards we are using are still "Legacy BIOS", not "UEFI BIOS".

JX6
New Contributor II

Step 3.

clear capture

idata
Community Manager

I am using dual monitor setup and i would like connect both monitors to the nVidia card.

Too bad that it is not working and that i would have to connect 1 monitor to IGP.

I tweeted to VisualBIOS team today and reported the issue.

I also reported the Video Optimization issue.

Let's hope that they fix it.

Btw, you say "select all optimizations", so Video Optimization is working for you?

Also, do you have a issue in Windows 8 when you restart or shutdown PC. It takes long time to complete the task, or it hangs and you have to use the power button on the PC?.

JX6
New Contributor II

Yes, when you enable IGP to Primary and connect it to a monitor, no any issue, everything is OK.

Intel made it to remind us not to forget its IGP, although most of us need not it.

I have not the windows 8 issue which you met.

My suggestion is to install windows 8 normally (do not use Ghost), install most updated drivers, and install all windows updates, then you will find windows 8 runs so smoothly.

idata
Community Manager

But before you turned on Secure Boot, you had issues with Video Optimization?

I think i saw in another thread that you wrote about Video Optimization makes POST to halt if UEFI is turned ON. So i assume that Secure Boot / Legacy Boot turned off, solved this issue?

JX6
New Contributor II

At first, I doubt my Nvidia VGA causes it while others posted they their system can work, although I have no Ati card to prove my point. (Secure Boot also failed at the same time)

But today, when I set IGP as "Primary video device", every function works, it is amazing.

So I know intel made the limitation: to enable " Secure Boot " or disable " Legacy Boot ", users must enable IGP and set it to "Primary Video Device".

This policy makes me feel disgusted

JX6
New Contributor II

Additionally, when "Video Optimization" and "Secure Boot" are both enabled ,I can not access BIOS by hitting "F2", holdding on pressing "Power Button" for several seconds doesn't work either.

This issue needs to be fixed.

idata
Community Manager

So you can not access BIOS settings at all now? Or did not you manage to reset it?

JX6
New Contributor II

Yes.

The only way to access BIOS is to open Case, place jumper in 2-3, then system run in bios with "maintance mode".

idata
Community Manager

I have done some testing tonight.

I turned on IGP, and set it as default.

Turned on Secure Boot.

Installed Windows 8.

It booted fine.

Windows 8 still hangs at restart/shutdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS-6qO4cSW4 Window 8 Problems Intel Z77 - YouTube

But... only in UEFI mode.

I turned off UEFI boot and installed Windows 8 in Legacy (BIOS) mode.

The issue with restart/shutdown does NOT seems to exist in Legacy mode, only seems to exist in UEFI mode.

I restarted 6-7 times and it did not hang.

I shutted down PC 5 times. First time it did hang, but the other 4 times it did shut down properly.

I don't know why it hangs for me in UEFI mode. You don't have that problem.. Either it is something with this board, or it is something with my hardware like nVidia card, or some bios setting.

Another thing i noticed is that when Secure Boot is turned ON (Legacy Boot is OFF).

The boot picture changes from:

To the Intel extreme logo, logo like it shows on your screenshots. So while Secure Boot is on, it also does not show "BIOS Settings " etc.

Im not sure if it is supposed to be like that.

JX6
New Contributor II

Oh, I like Intel Extreme Board very much, but they have not released a micro-atx type, so mini-itx is my favorite.

Visual bios of your mb is much cool than my mb.

I watched your video posted on youtube.

It is weird, my advice is :

First,

do not overlock (CPU mem gpu…any part)

Second,

check is there any new bios released, load bios default, then make sure "uefi boot" is enabled

Third,

if you use a ssd, please check the newest firmware and updated, sometimes ssd will make such issues.

Forth,

install every update provided by ms and do not tweak windows 8 by any "optimization" software.

After these procedures, if your system still have such problem, complain to Intel CS directly.

JX6
New Contributor II

Now I know TPM module is not necessary for "Secure Boot" function.

idata
Community Manager

I was reading your thread on MDL about boot time, and i saw someone wrote that his GTX card is not working in UEFI.

Maybe PCI-e cards cant work in UEFI mode only because there must be EFI drivers for the card? That's why Legacy Boot must be on for card to work? Or do you think that it is only a bug and that Intel has to fix it?
JX6
New Contributor II

Maybe you are right.

But I still doubt Intel makes this resrction to force us use its IGP, or I call this is the "cost" of getting "ultra quick" booting speed.

Will Intel fix this "bug" ? Let us wait and see.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for these explanations. I have Z77 with i7 Sandy Bridge, Windows 8 is installed from UEFI onto GPT partition and I have NVidia GT560 and two monitors. So if I understand correctly I can disable legacy, have iGP set to primary card, have monitor 1 connected to iGP, monitor 2 connected to Nvidia, this will give me fastest boot, but also give me best options when rendering video. I want also best time when Adobe CS6 Premiere Pro, After FX etc to render video, or VLC Media player using iGP to render when playing video, then NVidia to render when more power needed.

Do I need to do anything else to get this working as I explained?

JX6
New Contributor II

I use only one LCD, so I can't give you more advice.

Please just try it yourself then share your experience with us.

idata
Community Manager

I have main monitor on DVI connected to GTX560, second on VGA connected iGPU. I enabled UEFI, disabled legacy and now Secure Boot is 'ON' and all seems OK. I can access UEFI BIOS settings menu at boot if needed on display 2 only. Then W8 login shown only on monitor 1, then after login both monitors work and I'm set up with extended displays.

For those with ASUS Z77 these were the relevant UEFI settings

I now also see the Intel Graphics Display Icon in Windows and Intel Graphics Control Panel, though they only apply to the monitor on iGPU as expected. The GTX 560 is being used in ADOBE CS6 and it seems its used all the time and the iGPU is ignored. The I'm not 100% sure about this as I don't play any games, just video editing.

If I put both monitors onto the iGPU things do not work so well and I don't think the GTX560 is being used at all. In fact after booting I see the Windows spinning logo, but then I don't see Windows 8 login screen, though I guessed it was there and blindly entered my password, after that I only had desktop on the VGA monitor, though it was displaying as the extended desktop second monitor, not a workable situation.

To be able to use both i and d GPUs and let them share the load I think Virtu MVP is needed (is that the case?), and I don't read good things about that software, so will leave it at that for now, and maybe install Virtu software in the future if the reviews of it show its improved.

Does anyone know about Virtu and can make any recommendations?

JX6
New Contributor II

Hi Edward,

Thank you for you share your experience.

If you aren't sure which video card the system is using, just right click on "desktop" - click "screen resolution" - click "Advanced Settings", it shows on this screen which video card is be used. In game and other software you can select which video card to render, so do not worry about it.

In windows 8, I set "show desktop on 2" which I am sure only Quadro 2000(VGA) renders and IGP doesn't (but it still exists in system, just no rendering output.). In this mode, from "power on" to "windows 8 login", all information are shows on IGP (DVI). The default login screen are also "black screen", I must switch to VGA(Quadro 2000) by pushing a functional button on the LCD then I can see the normal login screen which rendering by Quadro 2000.

If you connect 2 monitors to IGP, I don't think GTX560 will work.

Virtu MVP maybe be a solution, but it does not exist a windows 8 version now.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you the information, its useful to know what the options are. I'll wait for Virtu for W8 and in the meantime happy with how its working.

Since posting earlier I've realised on the Asus Z77 V-Pro it isn't necessary to disable legacy to get Secure Boot State, so although this thread is about Intel boards I wanted to correct what I said before. I now have legacy and UEFI enabled in the Compatibility Support Module and the board still boots to Secure State ON

So I'm correcting what I said before as I first did disable legacy BIOS, and noted Secure Boot was ON, I've now enabled legacy again and Secure Boot is still ON

Sorry to go off topic for you.

idata
Community Manager

Virtu MVP works on Windows 8. Maybe it does not work as good as in Windows 7, but it does work.