Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
11436 Discussions

How to extract or convert the BIOS update file with * .BIO extension to * .ROM file?

Rh11
Beginner

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone can help me understand how to reprogram the BIOS EEPROM after it is corrupted and the restore system (without a jumper) does not work.

In the past, BIOS updates were distributed in ROM format, a type of binary file, which allowed the use of a universal programmer to reprogram the BIOS EEPROM when BIOS corruption occurred.

But with the distribution of the file with extension * .BIO, the universal programmer does not recognize it, so I cannot perform a rewrite of the BIOS EEPROM.

Can anyone tell how to extract the binary file needed to reprogram the EEPROM BIOS in order to use a universal programmer to rewrite the EEPROM directly?

I understand that it will be necessary to remove the EEPROM from the motherboard, using a soldering procedure, this is not the problem.

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Intel does not provide .BIN or .ROM files, and does not provide such support.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

.BIN and .ROM files are insecure. Intel has not supported them for more than 20 years. In addition, the BIOS image is "branded" in the factory for the board in question and this branding should not be transferred (via flash copy) to another board as it includes hardware serial numbers, MAC address, etc.

...S