Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff
Beginner

How to find the LAN MAC address

​I have an LGA775 motherboard (D915GUX/D915PCM/D915GHA) (BTUX52605628, AA C63987-206) on which the LAN-on-mb failed. I've installed a NIC card but the software I'm running is licensed to the MAC address of the failed LAN. Is there a way I can find that MAC to change the new NIC's MAC to it?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There is a sticker on the board that provides this MAC address.

...S

Jeff
Beginner

Thanks! Um...what are the chances that said sticker is conveniently located in easy view on the component side of the board? 😁 The least invasive I have to be the better I like it. 

Jeff
Beginner

​No stickers either side with a MAC address. Would it be viewable in BIOS boot-up?IMG_3919.JPGIMG_3918.JPGIMG_3917.JPG

n_scott_pearson

Hhmmm, the sticker should be there. We always included them. Check if it was put on the side or back of one of the assemblies supporting the back panel connectors. Also look under the edges of the heatsink (but you should be able to spot it, if it's there, without removing the heatsink).

As for BIOS, yes, it should be available there. Try going into the Additional System Information scene, which is selected from right there on the main scene (above the date and time fields).

...S

Jeff
Beginner

​Nothing. No sticker, not in BIOS. If I can track it through the equipment manufacturer would it be possible to alter the replacement NIC with it?IMG_3921[1].JPG

n_scott_pearson

The old LANConf and EEUpdate tools, if you can find copies of them, can be used to extract this information.

Are you running Windows? If so, download the (freeware) RWEverything (Read-Write Everything) tool. I believe (er, I think) that it can also display this information.

Hope this helps,

...S

Jeff
Beginner

Thanks, I'll try that.

Are you okay with this for changing the MAC on the new NIC?

Jeff
Beginner

​And yes, it's Windows (XP)

Jeff
Beginner

​Actually, that article about changing MAC applies to an Intel NIC, and I have a StarTech in there. I tried an Intel PCI PRO1000 GT Desktop Adapter but it wouldn't install properly, Windows didn't do it's Found New Hardware thing automatically and after I installed the drivers it sort of worked - it let me boot to a normal desktop but I still had no network connectivity. Then I could neither disable or uninstall it properly, so went with the StarTech PCIe and everything went normally.

That all said, the article mentioned verifying the MAC change by running getmac in cmd, which I did and it gave me the StarTech MAC ok, but nothing else. When I took out the StarTech and tried again (after Shutdown/restart) getmac came back blank.

RWEverything didn't find the MAC but did recognize the on-board Intel 82562 Ethernet Device under smbios (I think).

IMG_3934[1].JPG

n_scott_pearson

Anything that works if fine. If the MAC is changed from the driver, is this still going to pass the licensing software's check?

...S

Jeff
Beginner

​That's what I'm hoping for. I'll let you know.

Jeff
Beginner

​That's what I'm hoping.

About the Intel NIC I tried, when I installed the driver set and started the new hardware search it came up with a long list of Intel driver selections, which I expected, but there was nothing on the list saying "PRO1000 GT Desktop Adapter". There were three or four that started with "PRO1000 GT" (and maybe Desktop, can't recall now) but the closest was Network-something; no exact match. There were tons of Intel 8xxxx Ethernet devices. I only tried the closets Pro1000 GT option; was that the best thing to do?

n_scott_pearson

...And there are a *lot* of Intel 8xxxxyy Ethernet devices that have had their support discontinued in the past year or so. See this page for more information: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/22283/eng/readme.txt.

...S