Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RRit
Beginner

How to increase CPU fan speed "levels"?

I have gone through the web article https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007431/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht... Error: Chassis Fan Has Slowed or Stopped for Intel® Desktop Boards , and want to use it. But in my "Boot Menu" (F2) I can not find any "Advanced" tab or option. Although on "Configuration" Tab I could found some settings for "Duty Cycle"(Of fan?) (Manual or automatic); it seemed the manual option could be set at only some "fixed" values; not "levels" as said in the web article.

How to I enable "Level"s , such as "Cool" configuration as mentioned in the article?

Also tell me; if I increase the "duty cycle" manually; would the fan speed increase or decrease?

(Note: I don't know well about boot menu options but I'm aware that slightest mistake in boot menu can be dangerous. So I'm looking for a more visual guide of the boot menu.)

Board ID:

INTEL DESKTOP BOARD DH61WW CLASSIC SERIES ;

PRODUCT CODE: BOXDH61WWB3

Processor ID :

INTEL CORE i3 PROCESSOR

i3-3210 LGA1155

PART NO. BX80637I33210

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RRit
Beginner

Sorry; I mistakenly copy pasted a wrong article link; the correct link would be https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005946/mini-pcs.html Cooling and Fan Controls

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

That article refers to the capabilities offered by the BIOS in the NUC products; it does not apply to the older Intel Desktop Board products. Since I no longer have a board to look at, please send me a picture of the options that the board is using and I will describe what you can do with them.

...S

RRit
Beginner

Okay I will upload photoes.

RRit
Beginner

Here the main photos. I'll send more if reqd.

Attachment set 1 of 3; overall F2 Menu

RRit
Beginner

Attachment set 2 of 3; Fan in Config tab

RRit
Beginner

Attachment set 3 of 3; Related Power settings.

Please suggest me config so that

1. Fan gives higher speed (preferably auto-adjusted yet elevated).

2. the CPU produce lesser heat (slight reduction of performance speed may be accepted if reversible)

n_scott_pearson

As you have at least partially surmised, you can click on each of the entries in the Fan Control & Real-Time Monitoring scene and set the parameters that are specific to that particular fan, temperature or voltage.

Responding to your view of it in DSCN0340.JPG, which presents the settings for the Processor Fan, my comments are:

1. Set the Under-Speed Threshold to 250RPM.
  2. Set the Control Mode to Auto.
  3. Set the Minimum Duty Cycle for processor fans to 25%. This is the optimal setting for Intel-supplied processor heatsink-fan units and for third-party heatsink-fan units that use PWM-controlled fans.
  4. Set the Maximum Duty Cycle for processor fans to 100%. This is the optimal setting for Intel-supplied processor heatsink-fan units and for third-party heatsink-fan units that use PWM-controlled fans.
  5. Set the Primary Temperature Input to the Processor (CPU).
  6. Set the Secondary Temperature Input to the Voltage Regulator components (VR).

You do not have any chassis fans installed in your system. If you do add one (which I strongly recommend), note the following differences from the settings above:

1. If you have a 4-wire PWM-controlled fan, set Minimum Duty Cycle to 25%. If you have 3-wire Voltage-controlled fans, set Minimum Duty Cycle to 20%.
  2. If you have a 4-wire PWM-controlled fan, set Maximum Duty Cycle to 100%. If you have a 3-wire Voltage-controlled fan, the default should be to set Maximum Duty Cycle to 100%, but you may want to lower this number (to, say, 90%) if the noise from the fan is significantly higher (at 100% vs. 90%) but the airflow from the fan (at 90% and 100%) seems equal.
  3. Set the Primary Temperature Input to the Voltage Regulator components (VR).
  4. Set the Secondary Temperature Input to the Memory components (MEM).

Send me shots of the configuration scenes for the Processor Temperature, Memory Temperature and VR Temperature and I will provide input on their parameters.

...S

RRit
Beginner

On that screen if I click om those values and click +/- ; the values do not change. Maybe I'm missing a point.

Thanks for your help.

I'll try the solution with cautions, and will update the post accordingly.

RRit
Beginner

Yes, the fan is 4 wire (G,B,Y,K) and it ("Thermal Solutions") came with the same packet with Intel (TM) processor.

n_scott_pearson

Enter the replacement value you want. I think they also support the "+" and "-" keys on the keypad.

Send me shots of one of the configuration scenes for the Processor Temperature, Memory Temperature or VR Temperature and I will provide input on their parameters.

...S