cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SRodr7
Beginner

HyperX Fury 8gb Hx318c10fb/8 running on Intel DP67BG up to 32gb

Hi everyone

I want to update my system up to 32gb RAM (4x8gb), my motherboard is an Intel DP67BG, theoreticatly it supports:

• Four 240-pin Double Data Rate 3 (DDR3) SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets with gold-plated contacts arranged in two channels

• 2133 MHz to 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM Memory Modules

• Support for single- and dual-channel memory interleaving

• Unbuffered, non-registered single- or double-sided DIMMs with a voltage rating of 1.65 V or less.

• Non-ECC DDR3 memory

• Serial Presence Detect (SPD) memory only

• Up to 32 GB maximum total system memory using 8 GB DIMMs

I was told that the Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb DDR3 1866Mhz 240-pin (model no. Hx318c10fb/8) is compatible with the DP67BG, but i can't check it anywhere.

Can you tell me if these are compatible and work well with 32gb RAM (4x8gb)? I want to check that the HyperX model I mentioned is Non-ECC and is in fact a SPD memory.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Memory that has been tested on the BG board is listed here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000007066.html System Memory for Intel Desktop Board DH67BG.

Regarding this memory:

• They do have a SPD. One is always necessary to support any configurations above 1333MHz.
  • A lot of the DIMMs available these days support 1.35V. Your board doesn't, so you must have 1.5V support for all speeds above 1066MHz.
  • On boards this old, getting 4 DIMMs of this size and speed working together is not impossible but has been problematic for many folks. I would use the following procedure:

1. With old memory in system, enter BIOS setup and configure the memory for manual 1333MHz operation.
  2. Exit BIOS Setup saving BIOS configuration and then power off.
  3. Install new DIMMs.
  4. See if you can power on. If you can't (i.e. you get three beeps), try using a single DIMM in each channel. If it still won't work, return the DIMMs (they likely never will).
  5. If you can POST, but only two DIMMs seem to be working, you will have to play with the manual memory configuration in BIOS Setup.
  6. Only once you have all four working at 1333MHz should you attempt to use any of the (faster) XMP profiles.

Hope this helps,

...S

SRodr7
Beginner

Thank you Scott, I will try this and report the results when I get the new DIMMs.

By the way, I don´t care too much about the speed. If it works well running at 1333MHz it will be enough, I care about it recognizing the capacity (32gb needed) of my motherboard.

According to the list, the HyperX Hx318c10fb/8 are compatible, i do not find any 8gb DIMM ddr3 compatible with the DP67BG available in my country.

if I'd follow these steps and made the 4 DIMMs work at 1333MHz, would you recommend to leave them at that speed? or should I take the risk and raise it?

If therefore, they worked well this once, is that enough to believe they´re stable, or will it depend of the software i'd use? (I use this system to run CPU rendering softwares, in my i7 2600)

n_scott_pearson

My opinion: If you want the best chance of this working, stick with the following,

1. If you are only ever going to run it at 1333 MHz, then use true 1333 MHz memory; don't buy 1600 MHz or 1866 MHz or 2133 MHz if you can avoid it (they don't always work well at the base speeds).
  2. Buy memory that *always* operates at 1.5V, regardless of speed.
  3. Make sure that the memory is organized x8. x16 memory is not [well] supported.
  4. Never purchase low-profile DIMMs.

...S

n_scott_pearson

Oops, I forgot to say...

My opinion: Stick with 1333 MHz. In my testing, the amount of memory makes significantly more difference...

SRodr7
Beginner

Great piece of advice, i will stick to it.

I´m going to search a 8gb DDR3 @1333MHz, 1.5V, x8 organization and make a clean hardware update.

Thank you Scott!

idata
Community Manager

Hello, @All:

Thank you for your feedback.

sebar, keep us posted.

Regards,

Amy.

SRodr7
Beginner

Hi Scott. it's been a while

I finally found a native 1333Mhz available DIMM, the Kingston KVR1333D3N9/8G

Specs:

http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3N9_8G.pdf http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3N9_8G.pdf

It seems to be according to your recomendation, Should I go on and buy it?

Regards.

n_scott_pearson

I am a S/W Engineer, not an EE, so my understanding of their nomenclature is less than perfect. The datasheet says 2Rx8. If I understand correctly, this means each DIMM has two ranks. Having two ranks may mean that you can only use two DIMMs (one in each channel), not four - but, like I said, I am not positive.

Do you have a way to get this memory and test it ahead of paying for it? Do so if you can...

Hope this helps,

...S

SRodr7
Beginner

Actually I have 4 DIMM working well (16Gb total @1333MHz), the Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G

Specs:

https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3N9_4G.pdf https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3N9_4G.pdf

There is no difference between these and the KVR1333D3N9/8G other than the amount of memory, of course, and these items:

Row Cycle Time (tRCmin)

Refresh to Active/Refresh

Maximum Operating Power

Apart from this, they share the same features, same amount of banks (8), 2Rx8 based on sixteen "X"M x 8-bit (X varies here from 256M to 512M).

So, i think there could be a winner. By the way I can test them and send them back if they don't work, the only problem and the reason I ask is because they come from 1200 km away (shipping cost).

Thank you again Scott.

Regards.

SRodr7
Beginner

Ok, I have installed four KVR1333D3N9/8G DIMMs and they work perfectly, no need to change any BIOS configuration.

I have now 32GB RAM working just fine.

Thank you for your support. It was very helpful.

Regards.

idata
Community Manager

@sebar thank you for coming back.

I am glad to hear that your memory is working fine.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.