Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JJenn7
Beginner

I am a non-tech person but I been trying to install an update

and keep getting an error message, I do not know if it is relevant but since I installed Window 10 I have been unable to use my CD/ROM drive even though trouble shooting tells me that it is working OK, I have asked the Microsoft community and followed a lot of instructions but it still does not work can any one help with either problem?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What is your platform (processor, motherboard, memory, graphics solution, etc.)? What is the error message that you are seeing? Is this with an update being delivered via Microsoft's Windows Update service or have you downloaded an update from Intel's site and are attempting to install it manually?

JJenn7
Beginner

I have no idea what a platform is but I am trying to download from Intel, the error message contains the wording

Chipset Device Software IINF Update Utility - EXE only) version 10.1.1.14 failed

does this help as I have stated I am non-tech and most of this is over my head ( I am also over 60 which does not help)

idata
Community Manager

Hello Retro60:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

The thing is that we need to know at least:

The model of the motherboard?

The model of the processor?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of the laptop?

Maybe you can see a number on the laptop, or a model on it?

Is it an external or integrated CD/ROM Drive?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

JJenn7
Beginner

As I have said I am non-tech and I do not know where to look for this information could you enlighten me

idata
Community Manager

Hello Retro60:

Yes, sure, you can look for a number on the PC itself, any kind of number will help, or if you see a brand on it.

Do you know by any chance is this is laptop or desktop PC?

The laptop is the one where the screen is physically attached to the keyboard, without cables.

Alberto
JJenn7
Beginner

I have a PC where the tower is housed low to the ground and the desk is against a wall it is very heavy and I had to wait for someone to come and move the desk and get down on the floor to read the back of the tower. Unfortunately the information on the back was so small that other than removing all the connections to bring it out and read he was unable to do so all I know is that I bout the package (everything) in 2011 ans it is a Zoostorm.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Retro60:

Thank you very much for trying to get all that information, we really appreciate that.

Let me apologize again for any inconvenience.

The CD-ROM should work just fine even if you change the Windows version on your PC, the thing is that the drivers to make it work are needed.

Do you have the drivers for your CD-ROM?

If you do not have them, then we will need to find the model of the CD-ROM or the manufacturer of it, so we can look for the drivers.

Alberto
idata
Community Manager

Hello Retro60:

I just wanted to verify if you were able to gather the information we requested on the previous thread?

That information is very important for us to further assist you.

Alberto

JJenn7
Beginner

To answer the message of the 24th the CD-ROM was working fine on Windows 7 only stopped when I installed Windows 10, I have been running a trouble shoot and according that the driver is working fine but it is not, it flickers for a few times then stops, it is very frustrating. I spent 3 hours with a Microsoft technician who did a deep scan and updated drivers but it is still not working. If you refer to my reply of the 23rd you will see that to obtain the serial number I must get someone to remove all the plugs and lift the tower up to a table to read the number I need someone who can replace the plugs in the correct place as I am unable to do this myself as I am disabled. I am trying to get this information so that I can send this problem also to Zoostorm who are the manufacturers as advised my Microsoft.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Retro60:

Thank you very much for providing all the details above, we really appreciate you took the time to let us know that information.

We are sorry to hear that you are very frustrated with this situation, we are trying to do the best we can in order to assist you.

Based on the information you gave us above, this could be a problem the CD-ROM itself.

In regard to the need of gathering the information about the CD-ROM to get in contact with Zoostorm, unfortunately, the option for us to send somebody to remove all the plugs and lift the tower up and to replace the plugs is not available, let me apologize for that, but we do not have that option.

So, at this point, one of the things that you can try is to get in contact with somebody that could take the PC maybe to a PC repair store close to you, so they can check the information about the CD-ROM in there.

Once again, let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Alberto

idata
Community Manager

Hello Retro60:

I just wanted to check if the problem with the CD-ROM still persists or if it was resolved?

Alberto

JJenn7
Beginner

No I have not resolved the question I am still trying to get someone to obtain the serial number for me then I can try the manufacturer Zoostorm who also require this I seem to be at an impasse

idata
Community Manager

Hello Retro60:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

I hope you can get someone to help you on this matter in order to fix the problem.

Alberto

idata
Community Manager

Hello Retro60:

In order for us to better assist you we need the information requested above.

So, if you could please provide those details? It will be really helpful for us to further assist you.

Alberto