Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ACost5
Beginner

I can update BIOS INTEL DG41 WV DDR3 with same Motheboard BIOS but DDR2 ?

Hi everyone !! I have motheboard modified by OEM Positivo Informatica from Brasil, so this Positivo OEM have Modified the motherboard and renamed to POS-PIG 41 BA,and run only DDR2 RAM but i need to update my BIOS (the Positivo OEM not have BIOS to download) to support XEON processors.The motheboard have same config DG41 with G41 Express Chipset .

(sorry for my english)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi AndrewCosta,

The memory slots for DDR2 on your motherboard are not compatible with DDR3 memories; they will not fit on the slots (have a different key notch location or hole), DDR2 memories need more voltage (1.8V) and Prefetch Buffer is 4 bits while DDR3 uses 8 bits. The chipset is not ready for DDR3 memories.

Regards,

Mike C
ACost5
Beginner

I'm sorry that I know, I need to know if BIOS update motherboard ddr3 model works on my motherboard ddr2.

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi AndrewCosta,

The BIOS files of both motherboards are different, what you are trying to do is not going to work; however, you can try. Bear in mind, motherboard might stop working and it will be not possible to fix it.

Regards,

Mike C
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Andrew,

I have to ask: Why would you want to put a Xeon processor in a motherboard this old? A generation or two newer motherboard with a standard desktop processor will likely outperform this combination - and at a similar or perhaps even lower cost. Have you attempted to do a price comparison for the possible options?

...Scott

ACost5
Beginner

To replace all my hardware would have to pay 200.78 US dollars replacing motherboard and memory and processor for Pentium G2030, but in my country is experiencing a serious economic crisis since 2013 that US dollars 1> 2 real now $ 1 = 4 real well parts increased the price by 50%, now unfortunately the only solution to have a machine to successfully run Windows 10 is put in place of my old Core2 duo, one xeon 5460 that costs 62.44 US dollars.

Edit:i have found my model motheboard is DG41 CN

Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hi,

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Mike C