Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

I get a message during bios boot that flashes past so fast I cant read it. Most times my computer will boot but would like to resolve the problem before it I can no longer boot.

Today the computer would not boot at all. Reset bios to factory and it worked but some message still flashes past.

MB is DQ67SW

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Most common issue for boards this old is the CMOS battery failing. Replace the CR2032 battery on the board with a new one. Just about any store will have these batteries; they are pretty cheap too (~US$3).

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. After a bios reset, it has booted every day since then. I will change the battery shortly. The question still remains however, how to read messages that flash past very quickly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

For a board this old, it is still worth it to replace the battery.​ When you do, disconnect A/C, remove the battery, let the system sit for 10 minutes (to completely reset the CMOS), install new battery, power on and, during first boot, press F2 to enter BIOS Setup and then set current date and time.

T​he messages are not supposed to flash past that quickly, but some just do (sigh!). Video it using cell phone so you can pause at these messages and read them.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

We tried the video thing but the message was not always there !!!

The board is old but I run win7 with no updates on virtually all programs except Firefox and the machine flies. Tried migrating several times to win 10 but after I started loading in all my other programs, CAD ,CAM Camera, Netbeans etc, the PC started to chug.

Any idea on a more modern board that is Win7 compatible?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

7th gen and later processors are supported only with Windows 10. 2nd gen and earlier processors are not supported with Windows 10. It works but just barely.

I suggest that you come up as far as possible, to something that supports a 6th gen processor. Intel stopped producing boards at the 4th gen, so you definitely need to look at 3rd-party boards - MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc.

F​inally, I would be remiss if I didn't remind you that Windows 7 reaches end of life in January, so sticking with it is not a great idea.

...S

0 Kudos