Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XSitg
Beginner

I have A DG41RQ Board Version AAE54511-202, with Kingston KVR800D2N5 1x2Gb with XP and want to upgrade memory as much as possible. Board Manual says up to 8Gb (2x4Gb?), depending on the type of memory (?). No more explanations. Can someone clarify this?.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

AlHill
Super User

Also, you are not helping yourself by staying on XP. And, going to 8GB is worthless with XP, as XP is 32-bit and cannot address more than 4GB (unless you are running that XP-64 albatross).

Doc

XSitg
Beginner

Thanks Doc for your fast and precise answer. I´m evaluating upgrade XP to W7/10 and before decide I would lke to have all the info before take any decision. It´s a Pentium Dual Core 2.6Ghz still runs smoothly . I knew XP PRO SP3 can address only 4 Gb. The question was regarding the future. if its worth to do. Thanks again.

AlHill
Super User

What is the model number of your processor?

Personally, I would go to W10, since W7 is dead also. The only issue, if you are not satisified with the onboard graphics, is finding a compatible add-on graphics card for your board. Remember, the x16 slot is PCIe 2.0; new cards are PCIe3.0 and claim to be backward compatible. Many are not.

Also, what is your current BIOS?

Doc

XSitg
Beginner

System.jpgI do presume, the BIOS is the original one: RQG4110H.86A.0009.2009.0108.1005

Video Card is another issue. For my purposes (basically Office and static images) it´s not so bad. Seeing videos is quite different.

AlHill
Super User

Ok, your processor is from 2008. Of course, it is not supported on W10, but will run W10.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/35300/intel-pentium-processor-e5300-2m-cache-2-...

Your graphics are from the G41 chipset which, again, is not supported on W10, but will run with the Microsoft generic display adapter,, which lacks performance and features, but should be adequate for the workload you have described:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/39683/intel-desktop-board-dg41rq.html

The latest bios is 0017. Here are the release notes:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191120150420/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/19952/eng/RQ_0017_Releas...

I have attached the bios in zip format.

Your LAN should have an inbox driver for W10, but may not.

With W10, you should have no other problems.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Back to the original question, the details of the DIMMs that can and can't be used is fully documented in section 1.5 of the Technical Product Specification (TSP) for the board. To save time, I repeat the rules here:

1. Unbuffered, 1.8V, non-ECC, 677/800 MHz DDR2 DIMMs with SPD.
  2. Single- and double-sided DIMMs with a x8 organization.
  3. Single-sided DIMMs with a x16 organization (i.e. no double-sided with a x16 organization).
  4. DDR2 667 MHz DIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP).
  5. DDR2 800 MHz DIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP).
  6. (My addition) Do not use low-profile DIMMs.

Untitled.jpg

So, the optimal solution would be for you to find yourself a pair of x8 double-sided DDR2 800 DIMMs. By the looks of it, this could be a *very* expensive proposition.

...S

XSitg
Beginner

Thank you very much for your useful reply. Let´s think about it.

By the way, what´s your opinion about softwares as Auslogic BoostSeep, or Driver Updater, Iobit Driver Boster and the likes?. They promise a lot about cleanning and optimize systems, the Best Driver Data Base in Town and so on. Also drivers por the PCBs, always checked with the manufacturer, USB, CDs, Bridges, VGAs and so on. I passed BoostSpeed on my PC and it detected thousands or "errors", high Defrag rates and blablabla. My system appeared

AlHill
Super User

"what´s your opinion about softwares as Auslogic BoostSeep, or Driver Updater, Iobit Driver Boster and the likes?."

Well, I am prohibited from saying what I really feel about those tools. My opinion, is that these tools should never be used, especially any 3rd party driver provider.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What he said.

...S