Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

I have a DX58OS Motherboard with a i7 940 CPU, and a X58 Chip set. I'm running Windows 7 64bit right now. I put a HDD with Windows 10 64bit and it ran fine. Can I keep using Win 10, or will it become a bad move?

I have a DX58OS Motherboard with a i7 940 CPU, and a X58 Chip set. I'm running Windows 7 64bit right now. I put a HDD with Windows 10 64bit and it ran fine. Can I keep using Win 10, or will it become a bad move?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, besides your board and processor not being supported by Intel, the only variable will be what Microsoft decides to do (with Windows 10).

I would continue using Windows 10, if that is what you want. If you find a graphics card that is compatible with your board, even better.

However, I would certainly keep that Windows 7 disk handy. Who know what the next version/update of Windows 10 will decide?

Doc

idata
Community Manager

Thank you. I'm thinking of keeping it with Windows 7, and keep using the graphics card that's in it. However my son wants to play now games with it. It will not because the game comes up with error for the graphics card. It's a nice computer but it's old now. As far as computers and gaming goes.

Thank you again for the fast reply.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There are newer graphics cards that should work with this board. Identifying them is problematic, however. The supported devices lists created by Intel have not been updated for a number of years now.

In order for a graphics card to work with this board, it needs to support operation with/on PCI Express 2.0 (not 3.0) and it needs to have a Video BIOS that (still) supports Legacy (i.e. non-UEFI) operation. You can look at the packaging to see if these aspects are mentioned (the former should be; the latter, well, not so much). There are some cards that other users tried that worked once UEFI was enabled in the BIOS, but these were rare.

If you are going to make a purchase, I would recommend that you do so using a local shop that will install the card and test it for you (so that they can try various cards if necessary) or, at a minimum, one that will accept (perhaps multiple) returns...

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello tekoa_wa,

I agree with Al Hill I would run windows 10 but I would keep windows 7 disk handy, I would say that this is in case you start having issues with this system using windows 10.

Regards,

Ivan

KKrit
Novice

Hi,

Your Board Config is powerful and it can smoothly run Windows 10 OS . But be careful , using high detailed game with integrated graphic might give a bad result . If you play high detailed game , integrated graphics will be heated and you might have to change your board , you should buy a good graphic card for your Mobo . Keep Windows 7 .

Thanks.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Kritik,

There is no on-board graphics capability on this board; you *have* to use an add-in card. The issue is getting one that will support more-recent games...

...S