Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

I have a DZ87KLT-75K board that was working fine. I went to bring it out of sleep, and now it won't go past code 00 12, I've try just about everything I can think of, any help on figuring this out would be great!

I have a DZ87KLT-75K board that was working fine. I went to bring it out of sleep, and now it won't go past code 00 12, I've try just about everything I can think of, any help on figuring this out would be great!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Sandmanin,

Try to clear the CMOS battery, see here for the instructions; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000006488.html CMOS Battery on Desktop Boards

Let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I left the CMOS battery out all night,,still codes 00 12, and won't go any further.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

You had the system completely disconnected from A/C power during the CMOS clear process, right?

Seeing POST code 0x12 indicates that the BIOS started the initialization of the processor. Seeing it stay at POST code 0x12 indicates that the BIOS never completes this initialization. This could be an indication that something in the processor, board, memory or peripherals (including power supply) has failed - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Please try to collect a little more information. What is the sequence of POST code values that you see before it halts at 0x12?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

It goes from 00 21 to 00 12 and stays, I've disconnected complete power during the time the CMOS was out, and I've disconnected everything on the computer, except one memory stick. I even went to the integrated video, just in case it was the video card.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hhmmm, not good. Do you have another processor you could try? Do you have another power supply your could try?

How old is the board? If less than 3 years, you can have intel replace the board (via RMA)...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The board unfortunately is from 2013, with a i7 processor, I don't have another processor to try with this board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hhmmm, I am not sure what to suggest. You could try a different PSU. You could try using a different DIMM. You could try with a different graphics card installed. You could also try doing a BIOS Recovery (documented here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005630.html?wapkw=bios+recovery Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions; my extra input, if you try this, is to use a USB 2.0 (not 3.0!) flash disk, freshly (re-)format it using FAT32 file system, place only the one .BIO file on it (nothing else!) and use a (black) USB 2.0 port on the back panel of board (not front panel!)).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've tried the BIOS recovery with both a flash drive, and cd, it gets as far as code 00 31, I don't have any USB 2.0, only 3.0

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ooooo, that's a really bad sign. POST code 0x31 is a Crisis Recovery phase and is initiated as a result of the detection of corrupted firmware. Hanging there means it could not complete the recovery (i.e. retries remained corrupted). In an aged board, this is usually an indication that the Flash component has (at least partially) failed.

Sorry, you may have to replace the board,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Story of my life!!, on the plus side, the board might be cheaper than the processor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

lol,,nope, about the same price,,,wonderful!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Now you have me worried about my 87KLT...

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey, me too. My KL is my primary development system. It's SMBus hangs from time to time. This could just be a fault in one of the DIMMs (I am hoping so); I haven't investigated it too deeply as yet...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Al_Hill and N.Scott.Pearson thank you for your inputs.

/thread/109940 Sandmanin as mentioned before there is not much that can be done, at this stage I would recommend taking the motherboard to a computer shop to swap parts. If this does not work I am afraid that the only thing would be replacing the motherboard.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos