Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CNayl
Beginner

I have an Intel D945GTNT motherboard which boots as soon as power is turned on to the psu, before the main power switch to the board is pressed.

When I turn on the power to the psu, the D945GNT board boots up straight away without the main board's power switch on the case being used.

It isn't a fault on the power switch on the case - I've checked and the same thing happens when the Power and Reset cables from the case switches are disconnected.

I have used several of this model of board before and don't recall having had this problem previously; and I'm at a bit of a loss as to the cause.

Also, I note in the BIOS that the first two options on the Power menu are disabled (I can't alter them) and they read:

After Power Failure <PowerOn>

Wake On LAN for S5 <PowerOn>

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Check in Bios settings in Power Settings the value of the field After Power Failure

Leon

CNayl
Beginner

Many thanks for your posting.

The value is <PowerOn

But the problem is that the BIOS doesn't allow me to change that value - both of the first two Power menu settings are disabled, in that respect, ie they won't let me change them - I can't see why. The settings are:

After Power Failure <PowerOn>

Wake On LAN for S5 <PowerOn>

LeonWaksman
Super User

Well, you know now why you computer is powering ON automatically. I don't know what is the reason that you can't change those values. Can you change other values in Bios, or may be your Bios is locked by security jumper?

Cane you reset your Bios to default values?

Leon

CNayl
Beginner

Many thanks for your posting.

I can set all the other values in the BIOS ok - it just seems to be those two that are disabled.

I can also reset the BIOS to defaults - but that doesn't enable those two menu items either.

I'm at a bit of a loss to know what is causing the problem.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Since I don't have the board you have can't help you more. The Intel boards are not any more supported. Probably it is something wrong in your Bios and could be that it should be re-flashed. I believe that in short time you will help from some body else that know better how to handle Intel board Bios. One of them is @n.scott.pearson​ , that will add his valuable advice.

Leon

CNayl
Beginner

Many thanks for your postings.

I have tried re-flashing the BIOS (version 43131) but that didn't help.

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

AlHill
Super User

There is no such version of your bios. Verify your board model number, or provide the AA number on the label on the board.

Doc

AlHill
Super User

Ok, if your board is a D945GNT, then your most recent bios is 4131. I have attached the .bio file in zip format.

Follow Scott's instructions in this thread, TO THE LETTER. Do not take any shortcuts or dismiss any steps:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004VhEOFSA3/how-to-upgrade-dz75ml45k-bios-from-0006-to-00...

Doc

CNayl
Beginner

I simply miss-typed the BIOS number, it was 4131, as you guessed.

I have recovered the BIOS using the file you provided and Scott's instructions - it all went well, but it hasn't fixed the problem.

Those Power options are still inaccessible to alter.

Any further suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If the parameters are disabled, then some other parameter's setting is causing this to be the case. For a BIOS this old, all I can suggest is that you can do is play with the settings of other parameters and hopefully you'll see which you need to change in order to enable these parameters. Sorry I can't help you any further than this; this board is 15 years old.

...S

CNayl
Beginner

I think the suggestion that some other settings in the BIOS are disabling the Power settings seems reasonable - but I have been going around altering things and can't find anything that seems to be causing it, so far.

The reason I keep this machine going after all these years is that I use it to work on legacy software - it is quite a continuing fight to keep it active!