Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DMuze
Beginner

I have an Intel DH61CR that I was forced to reload do to a drive failure. I reloaded with Windows 7x64 but have misplaced the original Intel Support CD that has all the drivers and chipset inf files on it. I have had zero luck getting them from intel.

I can't even get the pc online because of missing ethernet drivers. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You did not have a backup of the system disk that you could restore?

Doc

DMuze
Beginner

Unfortunately the backup is corrupted and will not restore. I can't believe I cannot get drivers anymore from Intel. Might just have to pitch the mb and find another vendor like Abit, Asus or Gigabit that supports an I7 2700 CPU. I might just go with a new system using the new AMD Ryzen chip and trash all the Intel stuff. If thats the case I wont be a very happy camper with Intel. I really was hoping I could find someone here with that Motherboard CD.

AlHill
Super User

You can find the drivers, manually. First, download and install the LAN driver (using another PC).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713?product=52963

Then, ues the tech spec to identify any drivers that W7 does not download

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/H61/DH61CR/DH...

Old board, old processor, Windows 7 weeks away from death.... You should consider a new(er) system.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Are you really, really attached to Windows 7? Why not jump up to Windows 10? Consider,

• With only one exception (namely processor graphics support), all of the drivers that you need - including those supporting third-party silicon (audio, etc.) - to support this board with Windows 10 are included in the Windows 10 installation images.

• For processor graphics, there is only the Microsoft Compatibility driver - which I admit sucks, but it does at least run! If you are using a third-party PCIe graphics card - NVIDIA, AMD, etc. - that is supported by Windows 10 (and there aren't many that are aren't) then this limitation is not an issue.

• You can still do a fresh install of Windows 10 for free using your Windows 7 license key! Microsoft has, so far, only removed support for doing free upgrades. A fresh install still works just fine! Now, how much longer this capability will exist is the worry, so if you are going to do this, I would suggest that you do so now.

I just installed Windows 10 1909 onto my DZ68ZV board (your board's big brother), using the Windows 7 license key that I used with this board previously, and it works like a champ! I have a GTX 750 Ti card installed and it runs great using the latest release of the NVIDIA GeForce driver (which includes full OpenGL support, etc.). This all despite having an eight-year-old board and a 2nd generation Core i7-2600 processor. I heartedly recommend making this change.

If you want to do this,

1. Use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) to create a USB installation disk.
  2. Enable UEFI boot in your BIOS.
  3. Use F10 to select to do a UEFI boot of the installation disk.
  4. When the installer gets to the scene where you select the installation partition, delete all partitions on your SSD/HDD/SSHD and then tell the installer to install to the drive's free space (which now encompasses the entire drive). This allows the installer to recreate the partition table using the latest UEFI GPT partitioning.
  5. After the Windows 10 installation was complete, I downloaded and installed the very latest driver package from NVIDIA for my GTX 750 Ti. Though you don't absolutely have to do this, I recommend it.

I used my original Windows 7 Ultimate license key and ended up with a clean, ready to go, Windows 10 Pro setup!

Hope this helps,

...S

DMuze
Beginner

I was able to find some drivers digging around on the intel site and was able to get the ethernet working. Some of the Intel tools will load and run but fail for various reasons such as access to Intel server was denied. Other tools that are designed to grab drivers fail for the same reason.

I would like to offer the following on your comment regarding the statement:

Old board, old processor, Windows 7 weeks away from death.... You should consider a new(er) system.

To me a computer is a tool, much like a shovel. Just because does not mean it is no good. It did the job I needed it to do and see no reason to purchase a new one

for something as simple as a system reload. Its such a shame that a company like Intel ( an Microsoft) can dictate when the consumer much scrap a perfectly

good platform and buy something new. No wonder our land fills are full with so much crap,

DMuze
Beginner

Thank you for your suggestion, fyi, I used to be a member of Microsoft Technet and have a number of Windows 10 versions I could load.

The thought of migrating to Windows 10 makes me cringe. I tried it a number of times and back when it was called Windows 8, nogo. Windows 10 and its metro interface totally stinks unless your a social media lover. I dont care about that stuff and so Windows 7 works for me and the last true Windows OS for those who want to get work done and dismiss social media. I plan on running Windows 7 as long as possible.. Considering what has happened I think I might just make the jump to Linux now and forget the Windows 10 road to social media and data collection. Windows has had it day in the sun, I am just happy their are others that can think outside the box of social media and create great operating systems for a computer. For those who are into what Windows 10 gives them, great! More power to you.

For me Windows 10 is not the path I choose. Best regards to all that tried to help, the search goes on for that Intel CD, if I cant find one its onto Linux sooner then later.

DMuze
Beginner

I had an interesting suggestion from a friend of mine that works with computers all the time. He also re-iterated this new policy from Intel is really causing him issues as well.

He suggested since these boards are still being sold by Amazon, Walmart, Newegg I simply purchase a new one and either keep the board as a spare or simply copy the CD that is included and return it for refund.

Not something I would regularly do but if anything Intel will get a return from the vendor. Problem solved. Considering this existing platform is equipped with and Intel 3770 processor much faster then the mainstream PC's being sold today I would still be ahead. BTW, I also would not have to spend money to purchase software that was migrated from XP that I no won't run on Windows 10s. Problem solved. I can see up-evil in the future. There will be many hackers that will corrupt original drivers and seed the web with them, users that no longer have their original drivers for whatever reason will fall pray to these compromised drivers out of desperation. Perhaps this was design intent by both Intel and Microsoft to force users into new platforms and software they really never needed in the first place. One thing is for sure, The next time around it will be a 3rd party motherboard and AMD cpu and Linux. The home/small business PC is a tool, not a hobby and I could care less about social media and all that goes with that.

AlHill
Super User

"He suggested since these boards are still being sold by Amazon, Walmart, Newegg"

These companies are selling 8-year old boards? You can get a NOS DH61CR from these companies? Rubbish.

"simply copy the CD that is included and return it for refund. "

Wouldn't that be dishonest?

Regarding Microsoft Windows 10, 7, and XP - complaining about Microsoft here is like complaining to Dixie Cup about the coffee. And, your ranting about social media makes no sense. If you do not want to use it, then do not use it.

Doc

DMuze
Beginner

Comments:

"simply copy the CD that is included and return it for refund. "

Wouldn't that be dishonest? Probably so, and just about the same thing Intel did by deleting or restricting access to those files. Considering the effort I exhausted trying to get them through normal channels, including trying to purchase them from Intel, No I wont loose any sleep about it.

Regarding Microsoft Windows 10, 7, and XP - complaining about Microsoft here is like complaining to Dixie Cup about the coffee. And, your ranting about social media makes no sense. If you do not want to use it, then do not use it.

Loading Windows 10 was proposed as a possible solution, I am just responding explaining why that is not acceptable to me. Any your absolutely right, if you do not want to use it, then do not use it, Right on!

AlHill
Super User

Not that I agree (or disagree) with any of your points - But, social media is a disease. I use W10, and I have never been a user of facetube or twootle, and never will be. My W10 environment works great, the drivers for my old boards are there, and I run a W7 vm and an XP vm (with hyper-v). I am even thinking about installing one of the linux VMs Microsoft has to offer. This is not to say that I did not favor W7, or even XP. But, times change. And, you are forced to change (to a point). I have already started scouting replacements for Office and Outlook. There will come a time when you have to make that change. And, I have a number of carefully selected 3rd party utilities that I feel comfortable using, and trust.

Regarding the bios on these old boards, I used to be in favor of updating only when the new bios offered something I needed. However, in recent years, updating the bios has become necessary for a number of reasons, security being foremost. On my old boards (I have four), I updated the bios on them whenever a new release came out. I only wish I had save all of the releases. I have some, other forum members have some, and there are a couple of places where you can "safely" go to download. And, using the Microsoft update catalog (if you cannot find the driver update on Intel) is a place to go for older drivers. So, even though Intel has removed this material, on this [peer-to-peer] forum you can still get help and pointers. Not perfect, but functional (most of the time).

Now, I know you dislike W10. But, really, with W10 Pro (with Hyper-V), and a little time spent turning off the data capture Microsoft has turned on, you can create a pretty good environment. You should consider it. If you do, consider creating a local account (which gets more obscure with every release of W10). I think you will like it.

Doc

n_scott_pearson

The drivers on the CDs that shipped with the desktop boards are incredibly out-of-date and are not what you want. There are plenty of alternate sources (though I do agree that trust is an issue with many of these sites).

...S

DMuze
Beginner

Here is a work around for the lack of Intel drivers. First determine the chipset of the motherboard, in my case H61. I found that if you can determine the product number for the chipset in another manufacture you can go to their site, download there drivers and they work perfectly. The Intel DH61CR motherboard is almost a direct match to the ASUS P8H61 Motherboard. I downloaded their drivers and applied them and the platform is working perfectly without any issues nor do I have any device errors. True this is the not the way I prefer to fix the problem but it seems the best solution other then running W10 or dumping the hardware and moving on to something newer. But even if I did move onto a new platform considering how Intel has abandon its customer base honestly I would shift to AMD. Performance wise with the new Ryzen Threadrippers they have finally supassed Intel in performance not only that but bang for the buck far ahead. The one thing Intel always had going for them was their support and now thats gone to. Sad to see. Anyway, not here to trash Intel just mention a solution for those left without a driver solution. One last thing, beware of site's saying they have drivers for a small cost or free shady sites.

n_scott_pearson

Well, you did a good job of trashing Intel regardless - and deservedly so. Unfortunately, this message will fall on deaf ears in the organizations involved. You really need to deliver it to the Intel CEO directly.

...S