Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11358 Discussions

I want to upgrade my laptop but I am not sure of what how much I can plug to it, RAM and SSD

nicolasmulfetti

Hi Intel community;

I have a laptop assembled in Argentina(my homeland).
It has an I76700hq, and the chipset is Intel(r) 100 series/C230 chipset family SATA AHCI, with a HDD Western Digital of 1Tb(WDC Wd10jpvx-00jc3t0), and 8Gbs of RAM(ddr3 1600Mhz)

I am confused of how much RAM the chipset handles, the I76700hq says it handles up to 64gbs of RAM, both DDR3 or 4. But I cannot find information about the chipset. Using the cmd command "wmic memphysical get maxcapacity" says 16Gbs. Would that be the max, could I at least plug 16gbs of DDR3 2133Ghz? Or DDR4?

And regarding the hard drive. What can I use?? SSD Sata3, 3d NAND, Nvme?? I opened the laptop and it seems I can only plug into the Sata3 but I would like to have confirmation before buying anything. Also though of using a caddy to replace my DVD drive for a secondary SSD and use it as primary.

Thanks a lot and regards to Whoever reads and answers!

Bye,

Nicolas Mulfetti

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
Motherboard and BIOS determine type of memory, in this case DDR3. Since memory controllers are in processor, chipset imposes no limit. Because of age of system, support for newer SODIMM sizes may not be present in BIOS. This may mean limit is 16GB, 32GB or 64GB. Only way to know is to check with your laptop vendor.
...S
nicolasmulfetti

Thanks Scott, I guess I will have reach the vendor. Regards!
(am leaving the thread open for a couple more days in case someone has something to add)

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
For the other questions, I need information about the laptop. What vendor? What is full model number?
With luck, I can answer the DRAM question while answering the others...
...S
nicolasmulfetti

The brand is Banghó (https://www.bangho.com.ar/uso-personal/notebook), and the model from 2017 is "Gamer GM-X". I sent an email to Banghó today, but it is National Sovereignty conmemoration day, so they should respond after tomorrow. Thanks again Scott, Regards o/

WMIC CSPRODUCT:

Caption: Producto de sistema informático

Descriptio: Producto de sistema informático

IdentifyingNumber: 0801329301001001

Name: GAMER GM-X

SKUNumber: blank

UUI: 2F5BFA80-4383-0000-0000-000000000000

Vendor: BANGHO

Version: GAMER GM-X