Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TFarn2
Beginner

I would like suggestions for replacement of DG965WH

IntelDG965WH mobo has been used for years until recent windows 10 update, losing any kind of speed or response, yet is does work. It sailed like no tomorrow on Windows 7.

This is a hobby machine.

What motherboard would be a good replacement, using as many of the chips and add ons as possible?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Yes, it WAS a good board - 13 years ago. There is nothing worth salvaging from this board, except the memories.

If you really want this as a hobby, and want to salvage the processor, memory, any add-on cards, and even the coin battery, you will need to look for a board that uses the same socket, chipset, and a bios that supports the processor. I am sure there are boards on the used market that will work, but that is your job to research. Or, you could look for the same board on that auction site.

To me, this is a waste of time. Take your money and purchase a new board, with new memory and such, and save yourself a lot of frustration.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Unless you *significantly* upgrade the processor (say, 6-8 generations), you aren't going to overcome the issues with Windows compatibility. You need to throw away the board, the processor and the memory (it used DDR2; *nothing* uses DDR2 today). As for your other components, you will need to enumerate them before we can tell you whether any are usable at this point in time.

Sorry, reality bites,

...S

TFarn2
Beginner

OK with me to upgrade processor, I learn a lot by building and upgrading, even when I went from XP pro/ MC edition to Windows 7, things were done holding my breath, but it flew.

I am not a computer technician, I doodle with them, and reasonably successfully,. Thus was built with pieces and parts, OEM DVD for XP

I'd like to use the extra memory, USB expansion board (Anker) and use both ATA and SATA HD and dvd/blue-ray already in the machine.

SO which board (s) am I looking for? What do you recommend?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There's simply too much to choose from. I suggest you decide what you need in a processor and go from there.

...S