Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AScot1
Beginner

IBM ThinkCentre A50 Intel D865GKD - SSD drive?

Hello!

I wanted to upgrade my IBM ThinkCentre A50 (8084-77G, Intel D865GKD motherboard) with a SSD S-ATA drive. Previously there was an IDE one installed.

Although I already upgraded it and everything works fine, partition was successfully aligned to SSD type, but it works in Legacy (Compatibility) mode. I can't seem to find a proper AHCI driver for this controller for Windows XP Pro, to speed things up.

Does such a driver for this very old motherboard even exist? The I/O controller is Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers.

Thanks for any help!

AS

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello A.Scott.A, thanks for contacting us through the Intel Communities.

About your question, I found this driver that might help you to get AHCI support on your system however I cannot guarantee you it is going to work. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15551&ProdId=2101&lang=eng&OSVersion... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15551&ProdId=2101&lang=eng&OSVersion...

You would need to download the .ZIP file and a floppy drive will be needed.

There is additional information at the following links

Regards,

AScot1
Beginner

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for replying. I've tried to install this driver, but it says "Required hardware could not be found". It seems the oldest supported controller is "Intel(R) 82801ER I/O Controller Hub (ICH5R)". In my machines there is - Intel(R) 82801EB controller.

It is funny that there are 2 S-ATA slots on this motherboard, so theoretically it should support SSD drives in AHCI mode natively. Also in BIOS there is AHCI option, but it doesn't make any difference when I set it on. The PC manufacturer (IBM/Lenovo) did not provide any drivers for this mode.

Well, it seems my SSD drive will be working in legacy mode then

Regards,

A.